Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

3.7 Swap in a Fox Body What are your thoughts folks?

Discussion in 'Personal Projects and Builds' started by TMATurbo Donald, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Ltngdrvr

Ltngdrvr New Member

What engine mounts did you get on the crossmember? The 3.7 uses mounts like a mod motor.

And you sure don't want to use that stock 3.7 driveshaft, get one of the places that makes aluminum shafts for the 2011+ cars to shorten one up to fit the fox.

2. TuxMask-Andy

TuxMask-Andy Turbo Guru

Mounts were meant for mod motor setup. however it will .red to be modified to fit. This will give me a starting point. And yes we will need a custom Dmriveshaft . Looks like I can use.parts of he 2011 Driveshaft

3. TMATurbo Donald

TMATurbo Donald New Member

To clarify:

Motor mounts will be fabbed up. As for the driveshaft, I kept the fox body shaft only for the flange that bolts up to my 8.8 rear axle. I'm curious as to what the weak link is on the factory 2011 shaft is as I will need a driveshaft that is telescopic.

The fox body driveshaft is fixed length but relies on the yoke to float in and out of the transmission output shaft to compensate for suspension travel. Conversely, the 2011 V6 transmission doesn't have a yoke that can float to compensate for suspension travel, instead has a fixed flange and relies on the telescoping driveshaft adjust for suspension travel.

Any drive line experts feel free to chime in!

Ciff notes: I'll be getting a fabbed up driveshaft (the lighter; plus stronger→ the better as the 2011 shaft is heavy) and I have seen enough threads of driveshaft failure.

Motor mounts provided in the kit don't bolt up and mounts will be fabbed up.

4. mustangv63.7

mustangv63.7 New Member

thought about doing that swap myself, I have a 2012 V6 to sell and a fox body without a motor. hahaha but hae enough projects. put the turbo SBF and glide outta the fox into the 2012 and its lots of fun!

5. Bilbo388

Bilbo388 New Member

Makes sense though. The Ford Windsor motors of that time were pushrod engines, while the modern Duratec 37 is DOHC. There's a lot more stuff that needs to fit on top of the heads, so the heads are massive. Hopefully that doesn't prevent you from getting the engine in. Good luck!

6. Bilbo388

Bilbo388 New Member

Underpowered how? The V8's of that time only put out around 205 HP. The V6 is rated at 305. That's better than the previous V8 mustangs. Only the most recent 5.0L has more power.

7. TMATurbo Donald

TMATurbo Donald New Member

I was able to get the factory K-member and front suspension out. Definitely bulky and heavy.

[​IMG]

Going to be powered by TmaTurbo.com
    [​IMG]

Going to be powered TmaTurbo.com

8. audioAl

audioAl Active Member

Garages:
    Great thread, keep us informed.

9. Trojan Horse

Trojan Horse 11 National Championships

How about an update. I was thinking of replacing the 3.9L in my 2004 with the 3.7L, when it dies.

10. 28HopUp

28HopUp Word Filter Tester

I'd love to hear an update as well. I'm thinking up a 3.7L swap project too, and would love to know how you're making out.

11. Justin251

Justin251 hotpocketssssss

Financially more reasonable to just sell your 2004 for what you can and use that as a down payment for another faster and better built mustang.

Honestly.

12. TuxMask-Andy

TuxMask-Andy Turbo Guru

Hi guys.

Here is some updates of the build. Dropped the engine in and did some alignments for any clearance issues. Overall fit is okay. The huge 6R80 auto tranny seems to big to fit in the fox small transmission tunnel. I'm trying to get it perfectily horzontal. I manage to do it but its hitting the cieling of the tunnel. But I think i can make it work with a little but of cutting the tunnel up and enlarging it a little bit.

Update* Ordering the aje 3.7 motor mounts on monday. Looks like they starting making 3.7 engine mounts for their k members. this should eliminate a lot of the guess work.

Money_Shot.jpg engine.jpg driver_EngineMount.jpg tranny_hitting_Tunnel2.jpg tranny_hittingTunnel.jpg oilpan.jpg engine_3quarter.jpg

13. greensteeda

greensteeda Retired Speed Racer Mod. Suck It!

Garages:
    Wow that looks so small tucked in there. Very cool work. I was seriously thinking about doing the swap myself but got scared off. Glad to see people doing it. You said you were trying to get the trans perfectly level? Traditionally you want the engine leaning back a few degrees. That may give you some clearance.

14. Adamd

Adamd Sweet!

You must have a special edition 2004 with that 3.9L engine in there.

15. chaoticdismay

chaoticdismay the rippin and the tearin

You know the 2004 V6 was a 3.9L, right.

16. Adamd

Adamd Sweet!

No. Sorry about that haha.

17. V6procharged

V6procharged Moderator Staff Member

any updates donald?

18. Trojan Horse

Trojan Horse 11 National Championships

Not all 2004 had the 3.9L as a matter of fact the majority had the 3.8L. This makes adding mods in Calif. a PITA as most aftermarket companies didn't bother get CARB E.O.s for 3.9Ls as there were so few of them made, and a E.O. costs a ton to get. By the way, everything external on the 3.8L and 3.9L is interchangeable. The crank, rods and pistons being the only difference. They stole that stuff from the Freestar van towards the end of the SN95 run.

That Fox looks awesome, I still think if someone would put a kit together to make it a little easier, the 3.7L would be an awesome swap for both Fox body and SN95 Mustangs!

19. GrumpyStang

GrumpyStang Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Looks good man

20. jpkelly05

jpkelly05 New Member

So I have been following your progress. Any idea how your going to get past the Ford Security system? What controller are you using. I am working my way to puting this set up in a 68.