Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

00 turbo singleport project

Discussion in 'Personal Projects and Builds' started by fasterthanyou, Dec 6, 2016.

1. fasterthanyou

fasterthanyou Active Member

Cracked both of them open this morning. Will use the rotors from the 93 m90 inside the 94 case. The 93 rotors are flawless. Sure the 94 rotors have the teflon coating but the backside of the left rotor is chewed up pretty bad from the bearing that self destructed.

I'll install new bearings in the 94 case with the 93 rotors and reassemble it and give it a whirl this afternoon.

Attached Files:

2. fasterthanyou

Got the blower back together with the 93 rotor pack.

3. fasterthanyou

Back up and running again. No more metallic grinding noises of fun.

4. Spdricer

Spdricer Active Member

Lets see it moooovin

fasterthanyou likes this.
  5. fasterthanyou

The plan is to go Friday the 15th. Will probably be disappointing as I intend to start with low timing and low boost and work my way up. The car hasn't been on a dyno, just street tuned.

Attached Files:

Spdricer likes this.
  6. fasterthanyou

I have 2 videos of the mustang with the turbo setup mosying down the track from like 6 months ago. I'll get them uploaded to my YouTube tonight. It's just a slow car going in a straight line for like 14 seconds so never bothered to upload them but yeah, I'll do that later.

7. fasterthanyou

If you find 14's in the 1/4 interesting then these are the videos for you!

8. fasterthanyou

Found 2 old videos of my cougar from 10 years ago.

9. fasterthanyou

So after talking with a couple of people on sccoa, and the megasquirt forums, I've come to realize that I need an intercooler of some sort on this car. Meth alone just isnt dropping the air charge temps to where they need to be.

I ordered an ebay air to water intercooler. I am going to use the thunderbird piping as they are good enough for what I'm trying to do.

Until the air to water gets installed I'll be running my car with just a U shaped aluminum tube.

The engine bay is so janky, I really don't care. Function > form, because using the right materials to make the engine bay look pretty costs more and this build has cost more than I'd ever like to admit.

The air to water inlet/outlet line up with the Thunderbird piping. That's all for now.

I didn't post the datalog pics here. I posted them on sccoa. I'll post them here as well I suppose.

Attached Files:

10. Spdricer

Spdricer Active Member

That cougar was moving out! I got distracted in the 4th video by who I assume is you're girl lol! Jp yea man crank up the boost add race gas do something! Lol I follow a guy on Instagram making 800 whp in a built 370z (but still a 3.8 v6) so I won't be happy till I'm high 600's but that's just me and I learned alot here if I dont make 700hp I'm going v8 i wanna see a thousand ..

11. fasterthanyou

Lol thanks dude, yeah that was like 10 years ago. We're married now with a little boy, Doing the whole family thing.

I feel you on the power goal you have. It sucks still messing around with these little 3.8's when stock 4.8/5.3/6.0 LS motors can put out 700whp with just an ebay turbo kit and some fuel. My plan is to do an LS swap once this thing throws a rod. Too much money for too little gain with the v6.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  12. fasterthanyou

Also, just a fun fact, that cougar was only making around 275whp. That was a really fun car. I didn't put any money into the suspension or brakes. just a forged motor with an m90 and a racing torque converter and it ran 12s. I wasted so much money on this mustang for name brand, shiny parts and so far it's all been for nothing.

13. Spdricer

Spdricer Active Member

Me too man it's all a bunch of hype for real ...Ls swap the world my friend post it here if u do..

14. fasterthanyou

Installed the 2nd meth nozzle into the m90 outlet hat. Total of 2000cc/min or 31gal/hr of meth flowing thru the intake system to cool the air charge and increase the octane level.

Attached Files:

15. fasterthanyou

Not sure why the 3rd photo didn't upload the first time. It said it completed the upload. Whatever.

Attached Files:

16. Spdricer

Spdricer Active Member

So now you get it dyno tuned and add more timing and fuel to benefit from that mod

17. fasterthanyou

I probably should but I'm just gonna YOLO it and full send it at the track. It's currently running on 29 lbs of boost and 13 degrees of timing. It RIPS on 29 lbs. When I get a good baseline run at the track on 13 degrees I'll slowly add timing until it doesn't pick up any more MPH in the 1/4.

Spdricer likes this.
  18. fasterthanyou

The wonderful thing about megasquirt is all of the safeties you can build into the tune. You can set safeties for fuel pressure, oil pressure, AFR, overboost, coolant temp/pressure, trans temp, anything you can think of you can make a safety for.

For example I have boost cut at 31psi, I have AFR safety to where if my AFR is more than 0.5 points off of my target AFR it will cut off the injectors to shut the motor off until the TPS is back below 10% and engine rpm is below 3000rpm. I have a fuel pressure safety to pull all of the timing so the engine is sort of in "limp mode" (no power). I have oil pressure and coolant temp safety as well. I don't have anything for the trans set up in the megasquirt. Nothing for traction control setup yet either.

Also tunerstudio which is the tuning software for megasquirt has an auto tune feature where the software adjusts the VE table while you're driving to match your target AFR table. It works really well. You could have a totally botched VE table with a barely running engine and tunerstudio will correct it within seconds to minutes (assuming your timing and afr tables are reasonable).

If you ever want to make a switch to the dark side I can take a video of my megasquirt install and go a little more in depth on how mine is wired in and configured.

Spdricer likes this.
  19. Spdricer

Spdricer Active Member

Lol we'll see I'm getting to the point in the build now where its gonna be a win or a fail. Once I'm done with the exhaust and the permanent mounting of intercooler and catch can its gonna be all about tuning so well see soon enough...

20. fasterthanyou

So, I started this build thread december 6th 2016.

As of today, 3 years later. I'm calling this build DONE.

Everything works in terms of the motor, trans, cooling system, drivetrain, suspension, brakes, fuel system, meth, supercharger and turbocharger. the car runs and drives. It gets 10mpg and the ride is not very comfortable but its fast as ****. The initial boost comes on instantly and it makes full boost (34psi) at 3400rpm which is nuts.

This is probably my last post in regards to the "build" aside from maybe a time slip or maybe dyno results or something in the future.

The majority of the time wasted over the last 6 or 7 years was either due to finances or lack of motivation.

I've been driving the car every few days for the past month and aside from literally running the gas tank out of fuel the other day the car has held up as well as anyone could ask of it. Hasn't blown up yet and I've been beating the hell out of it!

Feels good to be able to grab the keys, fire it up and go for a cruise whenever I want.

Anyways, if anyone has any questions about the car that I haven't covered fire away. Not sure how many people actually follow this thread or are interested in it.

Have a good one everyone.