00 turbo singleport project

Captain Max Silver

Captain Max Silver
So, I started this build thread december 6th 2016.

As of today, 3 years later. I'm calling this build DONE.

Everything works in terms of the motor, trans, cooling system, drivetrain, suspension, brakes, fuel system, meth, supercharger and turbocharger. the car runs and drives. It gets 10mpg and the ride is not very comfortable but its fast as ****. The initial boost comes on instantly and it makes full boost (34psi) at 3400rpm which is nuts.

This is probably my last post in regards to the "build" aside from maybe a time slip or maybe dyno results or something in the future.

The majority of the time wasted over the last 6 or 7 years was either due to finances or lack of motivation.

I've been driving the car every few days for the past month and aside from literally running the gas tank out of fuel the other day the car has held up as well as anyone could ask of it. Hasn't blown up yet and I've been beating the hell out of it!

Feels good to be able to grab the keys, fire it up and go for a cruise whenever I want.

Anyways, if anyone has any questions about the car that I haven't covered fire away. Not sure how many people actually follow this thread or are interested in it.

Have a good one everyone.
I Do!!

fasterthanyou

Lol thanks dude. Can't wait to see your white mustang up and running.
Soo apparently supercharger belts don't like 40 lbs of boost.
I turned up the boost controller a bit on new years day to get 40psi. I'm sure the belt was already straining at 34psi but it literally shredded like string cheese at 40. It didn't even last a full pull.
I ordered two new belts that should be here this Monday.

The spark plugs look good. No signs of detonation on the strap, electrode or porcelain. The e85 and meth seem to do well enough at preventing knock.

Aside from that, just been enjoying the car on the weekends.

fasterthanyou

I will take my v6 mustang to the track this evening. There's a 24% chance of rain around 5pm. Gates open at 5:45pm. If any of you are local to palm beach international raceway maybe we can line up.

I have never stretched this car's legs out yet so I'm not expecting great results. I mainly will be dialing in the fuel up top in high load and will be checking the plugs timing marks and adjust from there.

I will be starting out at 13 degrees of timing at 40lbs of boost and see if the engine likes it or not.

fasterthanyou

The little 3.8 took 45psi to the scrotum tonight. Pretty sure my Wastegate is seized shut or something because it just won't make anything less than 40+psi unless I modulate the throttle to control boost which only halfway works.

Plugs looked fine. Gotta run a compression test to make sure nothing got hurt. Engine sounds fine though.

Only got one run down the track before it got rained out. Ran its quickest pass ever!! 14.04 @ 88mph. Yeah there was a bit of sarcasm there. But that technically is its quickest pass. Sooo there's that..

I'll upload the video tomorrow. Its midnight and I'm tired and annoyed.

fasterthanyou

I ended up taking the blower off and am back to just the single turbo. With 22psi and 15 degrees of timing on E85 it ran 7.858 @ 103mph in the 1/8th. I let off around the 1,000ft mark and ended up running 11.94 @ 109mph.

Generally speaking you gain 26mph from the 1/8th to the 1/4. Maybe it could have trapped 129mph based on the 103mph 1/8th but that's just speculation.

I'll post a video of the 3 passes I made to my youtube channel later today. But for now here's my time slip.

Attachments

fasterthanyou

Real good numbers. Will be chasing these this spring some time.
Thanks dude I appreciate it.

So I need to figure out what I'm going to do to get this car to launch in boost and this car should really put down some good passes. If you check other turbo v6 mustang guys timeslips they're cutting 1.8 second 60' times on average and they're only trapping low 90s for their 1/8 mile mph.

If I can get my 60 foot down to where I think it should be (1.7 or so) then that would put me into the 10 second territory easily when every tenth to the 60' averages out to two tenths in the 1/4.

The easiest and cheapest option is to get a small 70 dry shot ran through a Hobbs switch to spool the turbo.

The more expensive, yet consistent option is to get the torque converter rebuilt for a turbo setup rather than what it's currently spec'd for which is a blower setup.

I really want to go cheap because I don't have a lot of money to keep throwing at this car.

Decisions decisions.

6 Shooter

Think there are a lot of transmission tuning changes you could install to help with the transmission shifting and torque converter lockup after shifting. Have done a ton of changes in this area and can discuss or show you with tables. I have a 2800 stall with 3-clutch converter which helps with quick boost and rapid spooling. You can load the motor to 2000 RPMs before launch or maybe a little more if your brakes will hold the car. Timing the tree helps as well.

fasterthanyou

I have a manual valve body in my 4r70w with a trans brake and my converter is an FTI 9 inch triple disk lockup. I have the trans brake wired to it's own momentary switch and I have the overdrive and lockup solenoids wired to their own toggle switch.

I am WOT when I stage on the trans brake and my engine peaks at 2,350 rpm which tickles 1psi of boost. When I let off the brake the engine just chugs along slooowly increasing rpm and boost until it hits 7psi which at that point it drastically ramps to 22psi.

I leave the converter unlocked in 1st 2nd and 3rd gears to allow the engine to stay in its efficiency zone up high in the rpm range. If I lock the converter the engine is lugged down too much from 1st to 2nd to 3rd.

fasterthanyou

I need to call up FTI converters tomorrow and see what their pricing is for a re-stall. For now I'll sleep on it and mull over my options.

fasterthanyou

6 shooter what's your ignition advance when you foot brake your turbo car? I'm at 116 to 120kpa, 13.7:1 AFR and 22 degrees of timing while staged on the trans brake. I haven't tried adding more timing on the brake to see if that will help spool the turbo quicker.

If you don't mind, can I send you a screen shot of my spark advance table for you to look over?

Translating SCT spark advance tables to tunerstudio isn't really apples to apples since SCT calculates load from a MAF and tunerstudio calculates load from a MAP.

6 Shooter

My twins spool very quickly. The eBoost controller has 3 settings. 10, 15, and 21 psi. I get max boost for each of the 3 settings at around 3000 rpms. I am a novice at the track with about 6-7 track outings. But, next time, will try to be more proactive and data log and maybe even use a GoPro on my chest. In the past, have tried to keep things as simple as possible. There is a lot going on and little things such as tire slippage or forgetting to turn off OD, or a myriad of other little things can mess up a run. My timing at launch is mostly unknown, but maybe around 24 degrees, plus or minus 2.

Check email.