Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

00 turbo singleport project

Discussion in 'Personal Projects and Builds' started by fasterthanyou, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Phil II

Phil II Cone Destroyer Staff Member

Thank you.

I believe aeromotive made the adapter you would want. I last saw it on Summit Racing.

How did you setup fuel supply? Relays, fuel pressure regulator, and return line?

2. JTsStang

JTsStang Boosted V6

A couple drill bits, taps, and a piece of aluminum I think it'd be easy to make one.

3. fasterthanyou

fasterthanyou Active Member

Thanks phil. I found the adaptor, it looks like it can be made fairly easy with a piece of aluminum fuel rail and some drilling and tapping like JT said.

My supply line is -8 steel braided line and my return is -6 steel braided. I'm using a divisonX fuel hat for the 99-04 tanks. I have two 30 amp relays for both pumps. The megasquirt controls the relays. The fuel regulator is a magnafuel regulator mounted on the rear of the intake manifold.

Attached Files:

4. fasterthanyou

Testing

Attached Files:

5. fasterthanyou

OK the one above worked. Here's another

Attached Files:

6. fasterthanyou

I planned on reinstalling the megasquirt today to crank it over but I left my keys at home. My car is at my father's house so I did other things. I drilled and tapped the manifold for a GM air temperature sensor. Also extended the wires for the coolant temp sensor. On the '00 the temp sensor is on the drivers side. On the supercoupe the sensor is on the passenger side. Everything is done that needs to be done for the motor to run. I just need to install the megasquirt and give it a shot. There are still a few things that need to be done for it to be drivable but for now I just want to meet my goal of having it running before the end of the month

7. 6 Shooter

6 Shooter Well-Known Member

Not my intention to be overly critical. I want your upper intake manifold to work as well as you want it to. Just some food for thought. Based on the slow front to rear rear slope of the top of the manifold, am thinking that the two most rear cylinders will be air starved in comparison to the two in the front. The two in the rear with less air will run much more rich. Had this issue to think about when building my upper. The racing guys I work with who have done this kind of stuff for 20+ years indicated that the rear of the upper intake needs a sharp downward slope, and the top needs to be level for as long as possible to where all 6 cylinders can pull down and equal amount of air with the same effort for each cylinder.

Here is a side view to better show what I am trying to explain. It is not completed in the photo, but the front is to the right and the rear to the left. This design will cause your fuel regulator to be relocated. Moved mine to the front side of the passenger strut tower where there is room. Can measure the height of this upper intake which fits under a stock Mustang hood.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. fasterthanyou

Well, somewhere along the line I made a serious error in my wiring harness. I am not getting any readings from any of the sensors. My Trans range sensor is also causing a problem because the engine won't crank over. I need to take a step back and redo my harness.

9. JTsStang

JTsStang Boosted V6

Will the stock ecu recognize the gm iat? I picked one up in hopes the stock ecu would be able to read it. Plan to install in my intake.

10. fasterthanyou

I'm not sure if the resistance values are the same for gm and ford. Neither the stock ecu or megasquirt were picking up my sensors. I had good ground. I'm working on pulling the dash to remove the ecu harness. I butchered mine up and I want to start fresh. Do any of you guys have a 99-00 ecu harness? The engine bay harness is good. It's just a rats nets in by the passenger kick panel.

11. fasterthanyou

Every once in a while I have to remind myself of how much of a goober I can be.

I pulled the engine harness from my car. Went to a junkyard and got an untouched harness from a 00 automatic v6 mustang and installed the harness... still no sensor readings and the engine still wouldn't crank.

Then I remembered something very important, I pulled out that rats nest of wiring for an aftermarket alarm system. Sure enough, there was a wire that was cut coming from the ignition switch. I twisted the wire ends together and now the sensors are alive and the engine cranks.
    Instead of trying to run the ms3 as a piggyback on top of the stock ecu. I may try just running the ms3 as a stand alone. Not positive on that decision yet. I think it may make for a cleaner and simpler install.

12. JTsStang

JTsStang Boosted V6

How does the relucter wheel work on your setup? will the ms pick up crank signal with stock wheel?

13. Spdricer

Spdricer Active Member

Where are you at with this can we see some photos i may not post much but i am following your build very closely!

14. fasterthanyou

Not sure if I uploaded this already or not but here's what the headers/crossover look like. It's a pic from when it was still being made.

I left off exactly where I ended my last post. I installed a stock wiring harness that I pulled from a car at a junkyard and got all of my sensors to read on the stock ecu and was able to use the starter to crank the motor over.
    I need to wire in the Ms3 still. I gutted a stock 2000 ecu and removed the ecu connector in an attempt to make my MS3 plug into the stock harness instead of cutting the harness for the MS.

The reason I stopped working on it is due to school. I have a full time job and am going to a community college full time as well. Along with having a 1 year old, I don't have time to work on it until summer.
    I found an old time slip from my last turbo 6 setup though! I was cleaning out old papers for my upcoming move. I'll take a pic and upload it here in a few mins.

Attached Files:

Spdricer likes this.
  15. fasterthanyou

Now that spring term is over, lets try this again. Got the wires labeled and will be splicing it into the stock harness tomorrow afternoon.

Attached Files:

mustang024 likes this.
  16. fasterthanyou

Got it wired in but there seems to be a problem with the megashit 3. It has power and ground but its not powering up. May have blown a capacitor again? Gotta disassemble the ecu and see what happened.

Attached Files:

Spdricer likes this.
  17. Spdricer

Spdricer Active Member

Can we get some more juicy details of what you got going on wat your going through wats been ur hold ups wats going smoothly talk to us paint us a picture put us in your shoes please lol

18. fasterthanyou

I can make a whole list of hold ups. Some excuses are legitimate, such as working full time while going to school and spending time with the family and my toddler. But other than that I'll admit its lack of motivation to finish this car.

Things that have gone smoothly: not a whole lot, honestly. The upr k-member and a-arms went in easy i suppose.

But spending a crap ton of money on machining engine blocks for the 4-bolt main caps and 1/2" main studs was a pain. I had a block that was bored, Decked, fluxed, etc just to be thrown away because of the 4 - bolt main R&D..

The manual valve body install went smoothly but i derped and used the wrong shift lever @ the transmission and spent way too much time buying/making adapters to work with the wrong shift lever. At the time i didnt realize how easy it was to replace the shift lever, i took the trans pan off, saw the roll pin that held the shift lever in place and was like "oh, well ****, wish i would have done this sooner." Installed the correct lever after finding one at a junkyard, works great.

The entire fuel system was a pain. Tried to rig a cobra fuel hat to convert it to return fuel, wasted time and money on that, eventually went to a division x fuel hat which i think is awesome. Fits perfect and is much better quality than FORE fuel hats. I made my own fuel rails at first but i drilled them wrong, this was after the bungs were already welded on. Had a friend make new rails when i had the custom intake manifold made.

Word of advice, don't buy cheap chinese knockoff fr500 rims. Without tires mounted they were all about 2-3oz. Out of balance. One wheel required 7 oz of wheel weights to get it to balance when the hoosier slick was mounted.

Currently im waiting for a guy from another forum to call me back about a megasquirt he is selling. Its a megasquirt 3 like mine so it should connect to my harness and be good to go. My megasquirt is dead, i am done chasing bad solder connections. I assembled my ms3 but to be honest i was bad at it and its just really bad quality soldering. The ms3 the guy is selling is coming off of a running 98 mustang (supposedly). Once i get a new ecu, i can work on firing this car up.

19. fasterthanyou

One thing i am really excited about is seeing how the 3/8" diameter pushrods will work. I plan to rev this motor high. I read an article several years ago about how pushrod flex affects engine stability at high rpm. Even with aftermarket hardened pushrods, when you run steep cam lobe angles with high valve spring pressures, pushrods will flex. There was followup data with 3/8" pushrods and increased valvetrain stability in the 7 - 8,000 rpm area. Figured it was worth the investment. They werent much more than regular trick flow pushrods. The center two cylinders might be a problem with rubbing the cylinder head. When turning the engine over manually, the pushrods clear the cylinder head but not by much, probably around .010" or so. I assume if they rub i will end up drilling the pushrod bores larger for cylinders 2 and 4.

20. Spdricer

Spdricer Active Member

Wow that was an excellent response thank you!! Much more than i anticipated! Im gonna be purchasing a megasquirt or a fuel tech some kind of stand alone ecu.. so anymore info on how all that went would be incredible. How much u paying for the used ms3 ..just curious i understand if u dont want to tell me.. im a noob and i know this so ill prolli just buy new to know for sure that any malfunctions are from MY wrong doing and not from starting with already faulty equipment. If i had the experience i would know the difference and after this i should have the experience so wat i didnt pay to go to tech school im just paying here buying unnecessary overpriced parts lol
    So how was it finding sensors and connecting ms3 to original oem.. where in the car did u make cuts where would u have rather have made the cuts instead , if u can just get a little more indepth with the ms3 that would be really cool