Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

00 turbo singleport project

Discussion in 'Personal Projects and Builds' started by fasterthanyou, Dec 6, 2016.

1. fasterthanyou

fasterthanyou Active Member

2. Mustyz

Mustyz New Member

Nice videos. Do you have any new updates about this project?

Spdricer likes this.
  3. fasterthanyou

I gave up on the megasquirt. That thing was nothing but a waste of time and money. I pulled the megasquirt and harness from the car and put the factory harness and computer back in on Sunday. It fired right up with some brake clean sprayed into one of the vacuum lines.

I'll be ordering a moates quarterhorse to tune my car with. I used the quarterhorse with my 3.8l cougar about 10 years ago. Should be like riding a bike.

More rapid progress will be made with this project.

4. 89FoxSC4.3

89FoxSC4.3 Member Supporting Member

Man that sounds wicked. Congratulations on the fire up. I’m going back to read your whole build just got to the 2nd page. I’ve gotta get back to work from lunch I’ll finish reading tomorrow.

5. fasterthanyou

It gets pretty boring after the 2nd page lol.

Should get more interesting from here on out though.

I ordered the quarterhorse and binary editor software yesterday morning. It should be here by Friday or Saturday.

I used a stock 05 gt MAF on my cougar and that was pegged around 400 horse. I'll need to invest in a better MAF. Fortunately, lethalPerformance is close by so I'll stop in and pick up one of their hpx maf sensors when the time comes.

Another thing I need to look into is how to wire in the wideband to the quarterhorse. I heard its possible but haven't researched it much.

6. 89FoxSC4.3

Naw it all seems interesting to me I love this stuff. I also want to try the quarterhorse and binary editor out I was already thinking about it even before I seen your post, but on my last mustang that I done the super coupe swap on I just let Justin at VMP do a tune for me because I was kinda intimidated with it all, and was afraid the learning curve would be to steep. I hear ya on the MAF being pegged out my stock mustang one was just almost pegged out too and I was at about 265-275 engine horsepower , I would have to look the run up but it was real close. What about blowing threw a lightning MAF for u? They are 90mm correct? So that would get you a little more since you could tune it yourself?

7. fasterthanyou

Binary editor was a fairly steep learning curve for me but worth it in the long run.

I'll be using a 2005+ style MAF in a blow thru configuration in my 3" charge pipe. There are several aftermarket brands but hpx seems to be the least expensive option. There are little tricks that can be done to extend the power level they can support such as adding voltage dividers and blocking a portion of the opening for the sensor inlet.

8. 89FoxSC4.3

Oh ok good deal then, and that’s some good information for the future thank you. I might go ahead and get some kinda factory computer tweaking software myself and learn off of this N/A 3.8 mustang I have now before I step up to the turbo build.

9. fasterthanyou

The quarterhorse arrived today. It even came with some stickers and a pen.

Attached Files:

89FoxSC4.3 likes this.
  10. fasterthanyou

Just wanted to follow up on this.. I tested out the pen today. It only works sometimes. I hope it's just operator error.

11. fasterthanyou

Watch "3.8 mustang with quarterhorse installed" on YouTube

12. fasterthanyou

This is a very basic mostly untouched tune. Only thing I changed was the injector values as well as cranking pulsewidth. I wont be doing any more tuning to it until i finish other priorities.

Still left to do is wire the trans brake, make an exhaust from the turbo to the back, re route the lower radiator hose, get a MAF and weld it in to the charge pipe.

13. 6 Shooter

6 Shooter Well-Known Member

I use that same HPX MAF in a 3" intake tube setup and put down 620 rwhp. You ain't going to exceed it.

14. fasterthanyou

Cool! Glad it's working for you. One concern I had was that because it's so inexpensive compared to other name brand maf sensors that it wasnt as reliable as other sensors.

Do you recall the voltage your maf was/is reading at 600+? Is the sensor fairly consistent for you at idle/part throttle?

15. fasterthanyou

I wired in the manual valve body today.

The transbrake/reverse solenoid is wired to the overdrive button on the shifter handle in the vehicle.

I wired 4th gear and the torque converter clutch solenoid together to a toggle switch next to the shifter in the vehicle.

Lastly, I wired the turbo oil scavenge pump to a toggle switch next to the shifter in the vehicle.

I almost have all of the interior panels of the car back together. I lost the bolts to the lower column plate below the steering column so I didnt get that one on today.

Theres still so much to do. I read back thru my old (original) build thread and I really got carried away with this project.. hopefully it will be one of the top dogs in (what's left of) the ford v6 comminity.

89FoxSC4.3 likes this.
  16. 6 Shooter

Have no idea about the voltage was reading at 600+ Was on the dyno at the time and were focused on fuel delivery. Was not using my personal computer data logging during the data log. My car is a 2000. The HPX is a 6 wire MAF and the stock 2000 V-6 is a 4 wire MAF. Somewhere, I have the HPX wiring diagram and the Ford wire colors and locations. You should get a hold of VMP Tuning and ask them for the wiring diagram. Be sure to mention your year of V-6 Mustang for the correct wire colors.

17. fasterthanyou

I got tired of having the fuel pumps on continuously with the key on, engine off so I wired the fuel pump relays off of the stock FPDM. In the tune I set the FPDM to supply 15 volts to the fuel pump wire under all load conditions.

In the stock tune the fpdm regulates fuel pump voltage anywhere from 3 volts to 15 volts.

What was the fuel pump power wire is now my signal wire to close the relay contacts. This way it works like stock. Fuel pumps prime for 2 seconds with the key on and also shut off automatically when the engine stalls or stops running.

I tried using the trans brake today. I filled the trans with ATF, fired up the engine and put it in gear. As soon as i pressed the transbrake button the fuse popped.

I suppose I should have tested the solenoid BEFORE filling the trans with fluid.

Good news is I also tested 4th gear and torque converter lockup and both work.

I'll be busy with other things Friday and Saturday but I'll be getting back to troubleshooting the trans brake electrical issue on Sunday.

18. 6 Shooter

Accomplished the same thing by splicing into the green and white wire trigger wire in the fuel pump wiring harness in the trunk and routing both ends of the splice to the glove box. Used an on/off micro toggle switch to kill the fuel pumps when tuning or programming the laptop. Works great. Used this setup in both the returnless and now return style fuel system.

89FoxSC4.3 likes this.
  19. 89FoxSC4.3

Good deal man glad to see the progress. Maybe will be a easy fix on the trans brake. Looking forward to some video of this thing in action.

20. fasterthanyou

I had another idea this morning. I'm writing here so i dont forget. I want to wire the turbo scavenge pump to the same fuel pump signal wire so I dont have to worry about forgetting to turn on the scavenge pump. I keep forgetting about it and the engine oil leaks out the turbo seals.

Is there another 12v power source on these vehicles that is only powered when the engine is running? I'd hate to wire more things than necessary off of one source.