Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

00 turbo singleport project

Discussion in 'Personal Projects and Builds' started by fasterthanyou, Dec 6, 2016.

1. fasterthanyou

fasterthanyou Active Member

To be fair its not the shift handle's fault. Its mine for not verifying the wires coming from it.

Basically I derped and had 12 volts going to the factory overdrive switch wiring instead of the aftermarket overdrive switch on the handle. I was trying to use the overdrive switch as a ground switch to activate the tbrake relay. But instead of chassis ground, it grounded through the gem module.

It's fine now. Stupid mistake.

I finally drilled a hole for the scavenge pump toggle switch. I'll need to make a note to myself to always have it on with the engine on.

Last pic shows that even lifted pickup trucks can be ricers... the irony of those douches is astounding.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  2. 89FoxSC4.3

89FoxSC4.3 Member Supporting Member

I’m glad you got it figured out man one more gremlin out of the way. Did you every get your power steering pressure like leak problem fixed?
    I would end up forgetting to turn this on for sure lol.

3. fasterthanyou

I guess it's a good thing that I waited to buy the hpx maf. Lethal performance has a labor day sale of 20% off pmas products. I saved 48 bucks on my order today.

I ordered an hpx extended range maf which claims to support 1000+ hp in a 3" tube in a blow thru configuration and a ton more hp in larger tubes.

Along with the maf I ordered an aluminum maf flange to weld onto the intercooler piping and of course the pigtail comes separate so i had to get that as well.

It ended up being 240 shipped but should be the last MAF I'll ever need.

Attached Files:

4. fasterthanyou

It should be here by Friday so it'll give me something to do this 3 day weekend. I've never welded aluminum though so I'm not sure if ill actually get it on this weekend. I'd much rather have someone who knows how to weld do this. It would be a shame to have pretty welds everywhere else on the intake manifold/charge pipes and then have garbage welds for the maf flange.

5. 89FoxSC4.3

Man that was a good deal!, it’s good you waited to get those savings. I need to get some practice on some aluminum welding myself. I can weld steel ok but not aluminum I would have to leave it to somebody else myself til I can get a welder that does aluminum and some time under my belt.

6. fasterthanyou

Over a week later I finally get the maf and pigtail. I got the flange last week but have neglected to get it welded on.

Updated the maf transfer function in binary editor. The blue line is the factory curve. The green line is the hpx. :)

Attached Files:

89FoxSC4.3 likes this.
  7. 89FoxSC4.3

Good deal I was wondering how things was going on this.

8. fasterthanyou

Man, I've been slacking!!!!

A whole lotta nothin to update. I need to get new tires and an alignment and rent a dyno so I can tune it.

Aside from that she's pretty much ready to go.

9. fasterthanyou

Oh hey look, another set back.

My turbo is leaking oil profusely. Even with a restrictor in the feed line and a scavenge pump.

This thing could send smoke signals to the next town over.

Not sure what to do at this point. Comp oil-less turbo?

10. fasterthanyou

A little something I learned over the weekend is that scavenge pumps need a vent I order to work.

I had the oil drain going straight from the turbo to the scavenge pump. Think of it as trying to drink water thru a straw out of an air tight container. It doesn't work. In my case I needed to add a way to vent that sealed container which I did by adding a "T" fitting to the turbo oil drain and having one hose of the T simply with a small air filter at the end of it.

Turbang_6 likes this.
  11. fasterthanyou

Early christmas present to myself. A flaming river manual steering rack. Kinda pricey, 638 dollars. Now i can remove the leaky power steering pump and rack for a lighter weight, less junk in the way, steering setup.

Im installing it tomorrow morning and calling a tow truck to take the car to a friends shop to get an alignment.

Attached Files:

12. fasterthanyou

Got the manual rack installed. For anyone considering it, the effort it takes to turn the wheel at a dead stop is similar to a power steering system with no belt. I have 255 wide tires up front so that may also play a part in it but still. Was expecting less resistance.

The manual rack is pretty much a direct swap from the power steering rack. The manual rack inner tie rod ends are slightly larger in diameter than the stock rack so the stock outer tie rod ends won't work.

The only real modification required (aside from removong the pump and re-routing the drive belt is that you need to cut off the stock rag joint from the steering column and use an adapter to connect the stock steering shaft to the manual rack.

Attached Files:

13. fasterthanyou

Towed it to the shop for an alignment.

Attached Files:

14. Lonnie-S

Lonnie-S Member

I've got to review your build log. Did you end up using the MegaSquirt as indicated early in your build log? That would be a very interesting sub-topic for me.

Regards,

Lonnie

15. fasterthanyou

No, I completely removed the mega trash from my car. I may try to mess around with it much later on. But for now I am happy with the quarterhorse.

The mustang got an alignment today. The pinion angle is -2 degrees. Toe 0.1 ish. Caster 5 degrees. And the camber is -2 degrees. The caster/camber plates only have 2 slots so the camber was either -2 degrees or positive. Had to leave it negative.

Attached Files:

16. Lonnie-S

Lonnie-S Member

OK, sorry the MegaSquirt didn't work out.

I love your wheels, by the way. They're very unusual for the typical Mustang build, but very sharp.

Cheers,

17. fasterthanyou

Thanks for the compliment on the wheels! I think they look pretty cool on this body style.

18. fasterthanyou

Well she's finally legal. After 7 years I transferred the title to my name and registered/insured it. Will be picking it up from my friends shop tomorrow afternoon to drive it home.