Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

00 turbo singleport project

Discussion in 'Personal Projects and Builds' started by fasterthanyou, Dec 6, 2016.

1. fasterthanyou

fasterthanyou Active Member

This tune is ROUGH. it spits and sputters. Badly. I had to make drastic changes to the VE table to even get the afr's in the ballpark of what my afr table is targeting. I believe the spark table is in the ballpark of what this engine needs. The fueling is bad though. I'm curious if my injector deadtimes are totally wrong. Having wrong injector dead times can really mess with the VE table. Its weird that in some instances my wideband is reading perfect afr's in certain load/rpm cells. Then a few minutes later my afr will be either way lean or way rich in those same cells.

I may have overestimated my ability to dial the tune in within a 3 hour window in order to make it out to the drag strip.

The thing that surprised me the most is how quickly this precision 7675 builds boost. I get 1 to 2psi at a stand still by simply foot braking it.
    I tested the transbrake and it quickly got to 5psi without even trying. I didn't attempt to see if it could go higher than that. I don't have 2 step and I didn't want to hurt anything if it got away from me. Im still running the edis ignition system and there's no real way to get a 2 step to work with that via the megasquirt. I need individial coils such as LS coils in order to have proper 2 step while on the transbrake.

The master power 7664 I had on it before wouldn't build any boost until around 3500 rpm let alone foot braking it so overall I'm pleased with the money it cost for a new turbo.

I clearly need more education with this software before I screw something up.

On a slightly unrelated topic, the 11psi spring combination is dead nuts perfect. I revved the engine out several times doing pulls from 1st to 3rd gear and it held 11psi throughout the rpm band. This video sucks as it was an afterthought. I didn't think to take a video until I was just about done for the afternoon messing with the tune. The afr was leaning out towards the mid to high 12's and I let off the throttle.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  2. fasterthanyou

I upgraded from the free version of tunerstudio to the paid version and also upgraded the free megalog viewer to the paid megalog viewer.
    The upgraded tunerstudio has some nice features but I mainly purchased it for the autotune feature for warmup enrichment and the autotune feature for helping to dial in the main VE table.

Aside from the tuning aspect of it, I ordered a QTP screamer muffler. It has a cutout built into the muffler so I can have the best of both worlds as far as exhaust goes. Its quiet enough for driving around town without getting nailed for noise violations and then can open the cutout for max flow at the track.
    As of right now I have no exhaust on the car. It just has a 90 degree bend off of the turbo. I made an exhaust for it before but it wasn't done very well. I will try to make it a little better this next time around.

Attached Files:

3. fasterthanyou

Also picked up two 100psi transducers today so I can tie them into the megasquirt generic sensor inputs and monitor oil pressure and fuel pressure.

Does anyone on here have experience with flex fuel sensors? That's the only sensor I'm missing on this setup and it's probably one of the most important ones. I'm interested in how you went about having the ethanol content adjust your ve and timing advance tables.

4. Spdricer

Spdricer Active Member

Cool man post it up

5. Spdricer

Spdricer Active Member

The people that I'll know that run e85 dont have provisions for the tune to change when the flex fuel sensor senses less ethanol than what you tuned for. They just "dont run full boost" so ..i donno turn down the boost controller a notch or 2 and cross you're fingers? 6shooter is against e85 for that reason and advised me against it from the beginning I gotta say I kinda agree with him any way

I suppose get on a dyno and make a safe tune running like e60 or the whatever the lowest you see you're flex fuel sensor go throughout the week then when u see you're flex fuel gauge say it's under a certain threshold u gotta run you're safe tune

Or have a 50 gallon drum of race fuel in you're garage that was always my plan then you can equalize it when you see it getting low?

I run 93 I dont have these issues lol
    Same at every pump although I only put shell

6. fasterthanyou

There's a section in tunerstudio for everything flex fuel related. It can automagically add fuel and spark advance based on the percentage of ethanol detected by the sensor as long as you tell it how much to add for a given percentage.

So you tune for 93 octane, then tune for e60 and e85. After that the ecu can interpolate that data and compensate for variations in ethanol content.

Pretty neat stuff.

Spdricer likes this.
  7. fasterthanyou

There's a station with e85 right around the corner from my house which is cool since there are no e85 stations within at least a 30 or 40 mile radius otherwise.

8. Spdricer

Spdricer Active Member

Nice

9. fasterthanyou

The pressure sensors came in today. I installed them. Not really exciting. They threaded right into my block and fuel line. I didn't take a pic of the fuel pressure and oil pressure sensors installed. They're pretty generic looking but they worked out well.
    5v power, ecu ground, ecu 5v analog input. Very straightforward. Set the 0-5v scale in tunerstudio and you're done.

Spdricer likes this.
  10. fasterthanyou

I haven't touched the car for about a month. Took it around the block yesterday. It runs decent on 10psi. I would estimate it to make around 300hp or so. It kicked the 315mm wide slicks loose on the 1-2 shift which was fun.

If you notice the fuel pressure stays at 43-45psi the whole time. I have a 1:1 FPR so it should bump the fuel pressure up to 55psi. If the fuel pressure regulator doesn't want to increase pressure based on boost then I may just run it at a static 70psi and call it a day.

I still plan to turn the boost up to 30psi. I'll play with it at 10psi for a few weeks first.

Turbang_6 likes this.
  11. 6 Shooter

6 Shooter Well-Known Member

Use a 5/16" or 3/8" vacuum line on the fuel pressure regulator and into the upper intake manifold. Try to set the regulator at 45 psi with the vacuum line OFF, then reinstall the vacuum line.