Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

00 V6 T5 SWAP ISSUE (Wont start)

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by Forsaken_1, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Forsaken_1

Forsaken_1 New Member

Hey guys I took on a huge project with this T5 swap everything went smooth but I have few issues/questions if anyone can help that would be awesome, I can post pictures if needed. I researched everything possible to find a solution for this. I am guessing I need to by pass the safety neutral switch but I can`t find out how since every photo or forum does not match up to my pedal assembly. Everyone says or photos show I should have a a black and a gray connection but I don`t (seen in the photo below) I only have a gray connection. I also have a question if I can still drive with the same computer since I read that it might not work because of the PAT system. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. IMG_1467.JPG IMG_1470.JPG IMG_1471.JPG IMG_1472.JPG IMG_1473.JPG IMG_1474.JPG

2. Phil II

Phil II Cone Destroyer Staff Member

Going from 4R70W to T5? It's implied but not explicitly stated.

PATS is a an interlock between the EEC, a reader in the ignition switch, and I believe one more hardware box tucked into the driver side kick panel. PATS will not prevent your car from starting only due to the transmission swap.

Can you describe what happens when you turn the key?

Which transmission harness are you using?

3. Forsaken_1

Forsaken_1 New Member

Thanks for the reply I really appreciate it, here is a video as to what happens when I start the car and the battery is charged also. I can put pictures and videos up if it helps at all just let me know what you need.
    I have the T5`s transmission harness installed in the car and I believe I see the hardware box you are talking about next to the fuse box.

Original Transmission:
    IMG_1483.JPG

Video:

4. Phil II

So I did the auto to manual swap twice. It's been a couple of years.

There should be a device in the center console that previously told the EEC if the prndl was in park. I think it was a small box, maybe 4x4x2 inches. Had either a wire or cable that went to the prndl. That device needs to think trans is still in P.

I do not know if that a Normally Open (NO) switch. If it is you can bypass it by simply completing the circuit.

Do you intend to flash or reprogram the EEC to operate with the manual transmission?

5. fasterthanyou

fasterthanyou Active Member

I belive what Phil is talking about is the digital transmission range sensor. It is mounted on the shift lever assy at the auto trans. If you're still using the auto trans wiring harness. Simply jump the 2 pins that normally complete the circuit letting the ecu know it's in park.

I suppose you could wire your clutch pedal to that circuit to make it safer

6. Forsaken_1

Forsaken_1 New Member

I will keep an eye out for it and check the center console I hope that it will work, I am currently looking for someone to flash the EEC. A friend of a friend works at a near by college who might be able to do it but that can take months :( until then I am still on the hunt to get it flashed.

7. Forsaken_1

Forsaken_1 New Member

I have the manual transmission harness installed I was told it would be easier to have the manual then the auto harness installed. I guess less things to do modify? lol

8. Phil II

I am thinking there are two harnesses.

- one on the engine side that connects the reverse light switch, speedometer, and o2 sensors

- body harness in cabin for the neutral safety switch or prndl

9. Forsaken_1

Forsaken_1 New Member

I just removed the center console to check out the wires and cables for the prndl

ebrake.JPG

10. Phil II

Did you check forward of the shifter cutout?

What are the two shown wire leads going to?

11. fasterthanyou

fasterthanyou Active Member

I think the wires you see there are for the cigarette lighter in the center console or maybe a traction control switch if equipped. I mean I guess it's possible they went to the o/d switch and lockout solenoid on the auto shifter