Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

01 Mustang 3.8 is not well looking for advice on where to start.

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by JBrown, Dec 31, 2017.

1. JBrown

JBrown Member

My thoughts are either bad gas or coil pak. As far as getting bad gas it has run great since my wife put gas in it a few days ago. I think it would have gave us trouble sooner it had a 1/2 tank already when she topped it off and since my daughter has been driving it it's back down around 1/2 a tank. Now here's what happen Saturday it was running fine once my daughter got where she & my wife were going she turned the car off when they got ready to come home from picking up lunch she started the car and it didn't make it out of the parking lot. I got the call there is something wrong with the car. I tried starting the car it started right up but by the sound of the engine you can tell it was not firing on all 6 cylinders it will not rev up and when you try to give it gas it gets worse and it dies it won't stay running at idle. We had it towed home I tried to start it and now it won't start sounds like it's not firing. It has 128,000 miles I think it had 124,000 or around there when we got I have changed the spark plugs, air filter, oil & filter change, transmission fluid & filter change when we first got the Mustang. Is there a way to check the coil pack? and anything else I should be looking for. I use to work on cars years ago but they were easier back in the 70's & 80's it was before all the computer, sensors and electronic gizmos.

2. Serpent

Serpent Member

what year car out of curiosity? now, did the issue start with the tank being at the 1/2 mark or while it was still full?

when fuel pumps start to go out, often the car will run all right with a full tank as the pump is submerged in fuel keeping it cool. when it gets to the half mark or less, then the pump is being exposed and it gets hot. if you stay parked for like 15-20 minutes, then it cools down and the car will run again for abit until it heats up again. fill the car up, and it goes away until the tank is half empty again. if that is the case, new fuel pump is in order. if not, then we can look at other possibilities.

3. JBrown

JBrown Member

Thank you! It's an 01 I did change out the crankshaft position sensor I thought it was the problem when I tested it with a multi meter but I had a bad lead wire on the meter. I did pull the plugs they all look good and are all firing. So I got some starter fluid and sprayed it into the throttle body and it started right up and ran till the fluid was burned. I had my wife cycle the switch while I got under the rear of the car and I can't hear the fuel pump at all. So it does seem to be the pump. I checked the switch in the trunk as well make sure it had not tripped from an impact my daughter tosses her book bag in there.

4. JBrown

JBrown Member

I did check the fuse too for the fuel pump.

5. Serpent

Serpent Member

from my experience, when the crank sensor goes out...it just won't start at all. I would lean towards the pump as I said.

6. JBrown

JBrown Member

It was the fuel pump I changed it out the car is running great now. I have also fixed my leads for my multi meter now so no more false readings and replacing sensors that don't need replacing. It wasn't starting at all once we got it home so between not starting and a bad lead on my meter it has a new crank sensor. Thank you for your time and replies.

7. Serpent

Serpent Member

no problem!!! glad you got it sorted out and that was the fix!!!!