Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

04 GTO kills 05 GT

Discussion in '2005-2010 V6 Mustang Tech' started by GrendelStang, Oct 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OutlawCody

OutlawCody I made a GT once...

and to further question this thread, I got my new Car & Driver today, and it specificly stated that the GT is a better car at the track.
    Direct Quote: C&D Dec.2004
    "And the quarter mile is history in 13.8 @ 102mph. Which means that the only other pony car poseur on the market-the costlier, slow selling 350 horse Pontiac GTO- will be humbled at teh drag strip by your lowly little Ford coupe. Be polite about it. Act surpried. But don't apologize."

I love that last part :D

2. duncan_mcdougal

duncan_mcdougal v.o.l.v.o abuser

I don't see why the new 05 would break their rearends with the 31 spline axles and traklocs. Does the mach have a 31 spline rear end?

3. JamRWS6

JamRWS6 New Member

Ummm, NO.

4. JamRWS6

JamRWS6 New Member

13.8 @102 is not going to humble any competently driven GTO running on all 8 cylinders. 13.8 is pathetic IMO

5. CougarStang

CougarStang I do my own stunts

yet....

6. stock00red6

stock00red6 Not as Dumb as You Look

did anyone really expect 300hp to beat 350 hp?the new mustang is a great car, but it doesnt defy physics.
    but now...in order to sound like a stang fan, i must say watch out
    for the aftermarket, and that 300hp number should disappear within
    the first month of owning that car. I wouldn't be surprised to see that same
    white mustang come back the next week with tires, exhaust, gears and a CAI and outrun that GTO. not surprised, but I would be happy:crazy:

overall, it's a fairly good baseline.

7. CougarStang

Well, yeah, that's exacly what is expected. Remember, we can't ignore weight and gearing as factors in quarter mile times. The GTO weighs alot more. hp surely isn't everything. That's why you don't see F250 super duties running 13's at the track

The basis of this thread is that the GT should be outrunning GTO's based on weight, gearing, etc, however the GTO's still ripping some @$$ :crazy:

8. stock00red6

stock00red6 Not as Dumb as You Look

quick, someone post an F250 making a 12 second run :crazy:

Then the basis of this thread fails physics too. Obviously, we CAN ignore weight, gearing, looks, and whatever else, and say the lower hp car lost, and the other factors are negligable. It gave a good run, for the first 60 feet. Jamrws6 is right, stock mustang numbers are not impressive by track standards,
    but we all now Ford leaves a lot of room for improvement when they make engines:D

9. bravo

bravo New Member

you cant race the new gto with the 6.0L with a gt , dudde the engine and hp is way up , race it with a ford GT :D 500hp ohh or just wait for the new shelby cobra with the v10 engine about 500hp , on the long run we will se who will come up on top cough..cough (F..O...Rrr..DD) :lol: .

10. IggyBiggy

IggyBiggy Q('.' Q)

edit
    5.7 vs a 4.6 with 5.4 heads and more importantly, sohc; throw me a bone here. . :rolleyes:

11. CougarStang

13's from a stock car that costs under 30k is not impressive? Then what is?

12. ClintEastwood

ClintEastwood New Member

Actually the GTO is heavily criticized by every car mag out there because it was cheaply put together and it was rushed into production. They killed the camaro SS and trans am to bring us a bloated grand prix.

GTO might have more power than a GT mustang.......but overall the GT is better(fit, finish, HANDLING)

13. JamRWS6

JamRWS6 New Member

Once again you are WRONG. The only magazine to criticize the GTO interior was MT who was comparing it to a 70 thousand dollar Mercedes.

You are a **** fool to think this new Mustang has better fit and finish......because it doesn't.

Every other magazine has praised how well built the car is....their complaint is the looks. Wake up.

The GTO is a better built car than ANY F-body or Mustang that has ever been made....not saying I would buy one though because they do look very blah.

14. JamRWS6

JamRWS6 New Member

Are you trying to prove somthing? I like the better car......and the GTO is a better car than this new 05 GT.

Honestly, until they do somthing drastically different to the 4.6 Ford is going to be behind. The motor just does not handle big power effectively.....exception being the S/C 4.6 which is one of the best motors ford has ever made....but it isn't cost effective to put that motor in every mustang.

15. SHADOWstang99

SHADOWstang99 A.K.A slvRsrpnt

the only thing the gto had going for it is the interior. everything else is retarded. as far as fit and finish, new gt should be on par. i especially like how if you park a 69 mach 1 next to an 04 mach 1, they are riddled with similarities. you can actually see something known as heritage. park an old school gto next to an 04/05 gto and look at the circus freak.

16. whipster24

whipster24 I bent my wookie

I test drove an 05 GT just the other day and it felt quite weak from a dig. Once It was moving and I got the rpms over 3000 it felt good though. And the handling is worlds better then the new edge/sn95 mustangs. The shifter was smooth, not that notchy feel, plus it is closer to the driver. There is more room in the car. Overall, they did a great job with the 05 I think. With some gears it would be a sweet car.

now compare prices, 05 GT = 27-28 grand, GTO = 35+ grand. The 2 cars aren't in the same class.

and about IRS, it is for carving corners, not launching.

17. ClintEastwood

ClintEastwood New Member

go read car and driver....probably the most respected car review magazine out there....or go read hot rod magazine, they think the GTO is crap as well.
    I have yet to see a review where they absolutely loved the GTO, or even thought it was decent. And i have also yet to see a review where they hated the new GT.

18. JamRWS6

JamRWS6 New Member

Car and Driver is crap.

I guess you didn't see the part in MT about the solid axle....or the V6 seats :lol:
    Honestly I think the 05 GT looks like crap and is nothing but an update that was due 10 years ago.....and then Ford went retro on it and it looks like it belongs in 1965, not 2005.

I could care less about these cars because I would go with a C6 Vette over these cars anyday.

19. JDR

JDR Go Blue, Go Lions

Yes, I think he was, and did, you are the one that is being brand loyal. The GTO and 05 GT is a drivers race. Give people with the 05 gt time to learn to drive there car and to break in there car before you start saying all gto are faster then gt based on one race :rolleyes: Looks and interior are personal preference, I personal like the look of the gto, but I think the gt looks better, I like the interior better, and I thought the fit and finish between the gto and gt where even, of course that is all my opinion though, and I've checked out both cars.

20. CougarStang

Yes, i'm pointing out your hypocracy. You put down many of our friends here for being "biased", yet show nothing but that in everything you say

I've been here over 2 years now and I still have yet to see you post a message that has not been angry or biased. Then again you're still a kid, maybe you'll grow out of it....

Think before you post

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.