Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

05 4.0L more power

Discussion in '2005-2010 V6 Mustang Tech' started by redie10, Jul 19, 2014.

1. redie10

redie10 New Member

What is a good way to increase HP with out spending a lot if money in it I have a H pipe magnaflow which I wish sounded more deeper in sound at high rpms is there anyway to make it sound better and squeeze more power out of the motor alot people say its a v6 there no point it is a auto but I'm looking to get a better response when I hit the gas it has a slow reaction time can some one please give some advice

2. maxwellmurder

maxwellmurder Member

Get a cold air intake and tuner.

3. redie10

redie10 New Member

Any recommendation I see a lot of tuners out there and anyone have any ideas how male the pipes sound more mean and deep

4. JTsStang

JTsStang Boosted V6

Tune and a tq converter.

5. ericgio87

ericgio87 Member

SCT flash tuner. Set of 4.10 or 3.73 gears will also give you good pop from a dead stop.

pacbelt likes this.
  6. redie10

redie10 New Member

What comes stock in a automatic do you know and is it hard to switch out I don't know a lot about cars but I can turn a wrench if you get what I'm saying

7. redie10

redie10 New Member

And thank you guys for your help this my first mustang I bought my self and a lot these younger kids have there all supped up and talk a lot **** because mines a v6 but I have faith that v6 can have good power also

8. Markstang

Markstang Polishing my banhammer Staff Member

You need to drop a thousand or two to make good power. The stock v6 came with 3.27 gears, it's not something I'd recommend a beginner do. Gears also don't make more power but do increase acceleration.

9. redie10

redie10 New Member

Thanks what would you recommend to invest in getting

10. ivanrad

ivanrad New Member

get rid of your cats and just find a cool smog guy . keep your gaskets new. filters clean and oiled . cold air intake forsure do your research . jlt is apparently the best i have the bbk . get a vmptune . get a new rear end . 4.10 or 3.55 for avg mpg. then get rid of weight lighter parts . suspension brakes . once you combine all bolt ons . you will deff feel a difference . ill post a video of mine.
    bbk cai
    vmptune
    shorty ebay headers
    oil catch can
    strut brace from a stock gt500
    alluminum thermostat housing
    gt swaybars soon to be swapped
    lots of maitenance
    squeaky brakes

11. ericgio87

ericgio87 Member

If you don't want to spend a grand on a new rear end and then more money to have it installed or time to DIY I would say you can get away without it if you're using it as a DD. I have a supercharged v6 with 285hp to the wheels, auto and the 7.5 rear end. Still haven't broken it. But if you are gonna get new gears and/or a tlok at that point upgrading to a 8.8 rear would be worth it.

12. Derfdog15

Derfdog15 Active Member

the 7.5 is supposedly good for up to 400 or so hp. that said it is a better idea to swap it by 350 hp. Also 8.8 gears are easier to find used so can save some $$ on parts there. I spent a total of 1k for 4.10s, in an 8.8 full rebuild, and swapped into my stang.

13. terlingua4.0

terlingua4.0 Member

Get a handheld tuner first, then go with bolt ons. Cia, headers, etc. then get gears. I got 410s on mine. Gears combined with engine bolt ons and a tune make a hell of a difference turn off your overdrive and hang on. Cant wait for a nitrous upgrade in the future and new tires to take the power. My old tires are balding out

14. ivanrad

ivanrad New Member

ya tires and suspension will matter too . im working on a group buy for cams id love to hear some cams in the v6

15. redie10

redie10 New Member

Have any of you had a problem with putting aftermarket altinator and it making you car feel like its loosing power and I have 12 codes reading mainly my fuel pressure rail sensor and 02 sensor and a can pos sensor I replaced the battery and my fuel filter so far after battery codes were gone a day or 2 then check engine came back on

16. redie10

redie10 New Member

My original one went out that's y I got the after market one off e bay

17. Austin Klinedinst

Austin Klinedinst Member

My suggestion would be these things in this order:

Cold Air Intake (I prefer Steeda personally)

A true dual exhaust, I like either Borla or Flowmaster. Both will give it that deeper sound you are looking for.

Then a tune. The brand of tuner isn't nearly as important as the tune itself.

pacbelt likes this.
  18. bsdunn1984

bsdunn1984 New Member

Alternator probably isn't compatible and probably isn't putting out the same output it states. If you want a true aftermarket alternator your looking at about the $400-$600 dollar range depending on amperage and quality. So if you paid a fraction of that chances are thats your problem. Also does it plug into the factory computer? If not that's why your codes are going haywire