05 shifter sucks

Discussion in '2005-2010 V6 Mustang Tech' started by go faster, Feb 4, 2006.

1. go faster New Member

Has anyone driven an 05 with a 5 speed? Doesn't the shifter feel just crapy and you can't shift fast nomatter how hartd you pull the thing the next syncro stops you dead. And to top it off the shifter does not go directly in to the tranny it has about a foot long linkage. However that might make a super short throw shifter possible. But anyway thanks for reading and let me know what you think.

2. WinterHawk I feel the need.....

Do you own this 05 with the shifter that sucks, or did ya just come in here to complain?

3. Totaled108 Its not my car

I put an '05 shifter on my car and it does suck. :crazy:

hehe I play.

4. Madman232 Blood, Sweat and Beers

I test drove an 05 when I got my car. The shifter was okay, but long long throw. I do however like the fact that once you slightly let up on the clutch, the car seems to fly forward without hesitation. So that made up for any sucking of the shifter. But after looking at the 05 next to the 03 I decided to get, I just liked the 03 body style better. But I must admit, the interior on the 05 was the nicest interior I have seen on a stock mustang! I just wish they could merge the two of them.

5. 1995whitestang stangless again

<<<<<<<<<< worked for ford

the 05-06 V6 shifter isnt very good compared to others. 1/R is tough to get into easily..without slamming it. other than that it is nice. i think it has really nice short throws.

the GT shifter is alot better 1/R

imo. i worked there and sold them so i drove all the new cars that come in.

6. go faster New Member

No I didn't come just to complain I work at a ford dealer and I was PDIing a new mustang and I really didn't like the shifter and I was wondering if anyone else had the same opinion however the power and handling was good. Sorry if I sounded like a dick.

7. Flyboy 06 Hi, Im your pal Greg

I just got an '06 and i too have problems with it. If you can match the RPMs right to keep the synchros from working too hard, then the shifter is great. Fighting the synchros can get annoying at times, especially when I dont care about a smooth ride and I just want to slam the gears around, but its better than not having any at all. I also find that there is a lot play in all directions, making me miss gears, either I miss the "slot" for the gear (mainly third) or I dont go in far enough and it bounces out. Im getting more used to it, but fighting those synchros on occasion makes me shift hard, and the lack of stop bolts is starting to worry me, I need a new shifter.

8. mustangblue01 New Member

I agree with Flyboy. If you can time the shift just right, it shifts great. Then again, if you can time the shift just right, any shifter works great. There is a lot of play in my 2007 shifter. I've missed or bounce out of gears a few times. I'm thinking an aftermarket short-throw will be coming soon.

I'm going to start a new thread on shifter reviews

9. bonemanrides Logophile, Curmudgeon

Gotta tellya... the shifter in my 1953 Ford F100 was truly a bear. After all.. it was a crashbox.

Meanwhile... I test drove an '05 with a 5-speed last night. The shifter seemed OK for the most part. What I found most interesting was the resistance of the clutch pedal. Rather surprsing for an hydraulic unit.

I am very seriously considering this vehicle. Hopefully, it will work out.

10. bonemanrides Logophile, Curmudgeon

Wow.... that long since I've been in here.... I have driven the aforementioned '05 for four years and 60K miles. One thing that made an immense difference in shifting was changing out the trans fluid for synthetic. Then... I foreshortened the length of the shift lever in the car by putting on a custom knob. Makes the throw shorter. Shifts very nicely this way.

I know there are upgrade shifters you can get for it... but after doing all the aforementioned, I can't justify spending the money.