1. Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1995 3.8 help...fuel pump or??

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by 95mustang_mich, Apr 2, 2010.

Social Buttons
  1. 95mustang_mich

95mustang_mich New Member

My '95 3.8/5 speed with 200k started sputtering and then finally died while driving on the freeway. I pulled over and cranked it over, it tried to start but acted like it was starving for fuel. I let it sit about 10 minutes and cranked again, it started up, sputtered and then ran fine. I drove about 5 miles with full power and then the same thing happened. I did the same routine. I kept doing this until I limped her home. The fuel filter is new. So my thoughts are a fuel pump, but my experience with pumps is they are usually good or bad, not much of an in between. I was also thinking a crank sensor or a coil. Unfortunately its hard to test anything because sitting in the drive way it will start up and run fine. It may even drive around town for hours with no problems.
    I have checked and wiggle tested the connections. Plug wires, filters, etc are new.

So I am wondering if anyone has experienced this. Are there other things that it could be? Thanks in advance for any help!
  2. MMR

MMR I like cars!

Did you get any codes ? ...like is the "Check Engine" light on ? ..if so what are the codes ?
  3. 95mustang_mich

No codes present
  4. MMR

MMR I like cars!

Hm...thats odd...:uhh:

It deos sound like a clogged fuel filter or the ignition system. Buy you say that these are all new ?
  5. 95mustang_mich

Well the fuel filter and wires are new but the coil, fuel pump, crank sensor are all original.

I didnt think it would be a plugged fuel filter because it seems to be heat related. In other words, after driving for a couple hours, it sputters and stalls out. Let it cool and it will start back up.

I realize a clogged fuel filter will make the pump work harder and since its electric it could get hot and shut down, but again the filter is new.
  6. mp4 player

mp4 player New Member

That doesn't really sound like a fuel pump to me but it's definitely possible.

If you do make it happen again pull a plug wire and see if you have spark.
  7. MMR

MMR I like cars!

thats a good point. :thumbup:

If you have a voltmeter, your can test your coil, just besure to put the plugs back in the same connector that it was in. But if you have a volt meter, the coil should say about 12 v.

have you checked your injectors too ?
  8. djdizzydave

djdizzydave Finally LOST is over!

i had same or very similiar problems with my '97 after like 160k miles.. but only on hot or humid days. i took it to ford to run a check on it, and it came back with them talking about some $700 computer piece that sits in the engine bay, i so can't remember the name of what its actually called...

i did have the WTF look going on saying, how the hell that little thing there cost so much??

maybe someone on here can tell you what its called...?
  9. MMR

MMR I like cars!

its the ECU, Its the engine control unit. Its kind of a computer that controls the engine. But yes it could be that too, I am just trying to rule out the other things that could cause this.
  10. djdizzydave

djdizzydave Finally LOST is over!

nice. :thumbup: i think it was that. little b*tch ass part.
  11. MMR

MMR I like cars!

yeah, that would be an understatement. ;)

I just hope for this guys sake, that its a faulty coil or injector that just needs to be replaced...and THATS IT ! ...and not having to spend $700 on a new ECU.

But if it is the ECU, remember that when you buy one it dosnt come with the software for the mustang when you buy it, the software has to be out in it, I am pretty sure that a ford shop can do it. but I dont know what it costs over there, if it costs anything.

This was the case with my car when I had the engine replaced and I bought a new ECU.
  12. Stangin&Bangin

Stangin&Bangin Feels good man

Could be the ignition control module. I've seen alot that run fine cool but when they heat up its all down hill from there.. You can have auto zone test it.. Just make sure they test it until it gets hot.
  13. GDP

GDP I'd pee in her butt!

If it was the ECU, dont forget the junk yard. Probably find one dirt freakin cheap.
  14. 95mustang_mich

I was thinking module but usually when those get hot and shut down, its like someone turned the key off. This is more of a gradule shut down.
  15. 5ohh5speed

5ohh5speed New Member

hay dont know if this will help we had a car come in years ago that did the same thing not a mustang and after hours of sitting and running it finally died. It ended up being a crank angle sensor I will be honest I am not sure if these cars even have them or something like them but we had a car do almost the exact same thing as yours did it sucked to figure it out cause it would run fine then die then run fine good luck
    Jon