Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1996 Split Port Engine Swap

Discussion in 'Personal Projects and Builds' started by 76Highboy, Jul 17, 2017.

1. 76Highboy

76Highboy Member

Bought my 96 Mustang for $400 with bad head gaskets. Wanted a cheap commuter. I replaced the head gaskets and did some mild porting on the heads. Drove it for several months, but have noticed from the beginning a light worn rod bearing noise. Well it has gotten quite a bit worse, so decided to go upgrade to a split port. Found a wrecked 2001 Mustang for $400. I got my old motor yanked out and the split port setting in place at the moment. Came with long tube headers and a nice x pipe. I plan on swapping the diffs too for the better gear ratio (3.27). 2.72 gears are terrible! So far its been fun. Still have quit a bit to do. A Windstar intake is coming next.
    Any advice or suggestions appreciated.
    downsized_0620071837.jpg
    My good old 76 Highboy with a 300 straight six. 0708071540.jpg
    Out with the old single port. 0708071647.jpg
    Better shot of how bad this was hit.
    0713071843.jpg
    No diff in it now, so just chained the bumper to the stinger and hauled it out. 0713072313.jpg
    Just resting on mounts. Not bolted in yet.

2. 6 Shooter

6 Shooter Well-Known Member

The 2001 motor is a neutral balanced and needs to keep the flywheel and harmonic balancer. The 2001 also has a returnless style fuel system (split port heads), not sure about the 96. If the 96 has a return style fuel system, you are going to have to find a 2003 F-150 V-6 return style fuel rail to work with the split port heads that were on the F-150.

Best to reuse all the 96 sensors and install on the 2001 motor where possible.

3. 76Highboy

76Highboy Member

Since I have the whole 2001 car for parts do you still recommend keeping the 96 sensors? I heard I would have to swap a lot of stuff like instrument cluster, steering column and dash harness in order to use all the 2001 sensors/harness.

4. 6 Shooter

Keep all 96 sensors possible. Makes the PCM and tune happy. However, one additional item--think the fuel injectors on the 96 are 16s. On the 2001, they are 19s. So on the switch over, need to keep the 19s with the 2001 motor. In the end, the 96 tune may run rich with the 19s, so may have to factor in a tune to compensate.

5. 76Highboy

76Highboy Member

I really appreciate your advice. Please bear with me. If it will possibly run rich with the 96 PCM, couldn't I just use the 2001 PCM? I know its a lot of work swapping everything over (instrument cluster, steering column and dash harness ect...). I am on a pretty tight budget for a while, so a little extra work is fine with me, but at the same time I don't want to waste my time for no reason. Thanks again for your patience.

6. 6 Shooter

Send a private conversation with your email address. Will send you a spreadsheet of the 104 pins printout of a 2000 Mustang and a 2004 Mustang side by side. You will then have to go to a Ford Service Manager and ask him for a printout of the 1-4 pin printout from a 96. Then for starters, do a side by side comparison by adding an additional column. The main difference between the 2000 PCM and the 2004 PCM is adding a cylinder head temp sensor and wiring it into the 104 pin harness. The side by side comparison of wiring of a 96 to the 2000 pins will help guide you on whether to switch out computers, instrument cluster, steering column, etc.

7. douglass

douglass Active Member

I am doing the same swap as you in my 96. I am using all the sensors from my 96 Mustang except the TPS, and the IAC. Rather than re-pin the split port wire harness, I bought a spare 96 Mustang wire harness. I am using a 00 split port wire harness as a doner to lengthen the 96 harness as needed. How is the project coming along? If things go as planned I will start the swap this weekend.

8. 76Highboy

76Highboy Member

Its coming along. Hard to find time! I have to many projects. I swapped the diff out for the 2001 with 3.27's. Tranny is back in. picked up a Windstar intake at the junkyard and some other stuff. started working on swapping sensors and the harness last night. I was going to try swapping all the 2001 harness, computer and fuel pump/line stuff over, but it was unrealistic. Should have stuck with 6 Shooters advice from the beginning. Back on track now though. Going to use as many of the 96 sensors as possible and the 96 harness and pcm.

9. 76Highboy

76Highboy Member

I was looking at how to correctly install the camshaft position sensor assembly and it says you need an alignment tool. it seems that it can be done without it if you are careful. Anybody have any advice?

10. 76Highboy

76Highboy Member

Well, its been a while. Finally got it running! So many little things to do that I didn't think of when I started the project!
    Swapped the rear diff, engine, lowering springs, front calipers and carpet from the 01 Stang and also installed a Windstar intake plus other little stuff. Still have to make something for the throttle linkage and a custom cold air intake setup. Almost on the road! Will add some pics later.