Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1997 V6 Automatic Mustang Passenger Side Exhaust Manifold Replacement

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by 97V6StangGuy, Feb 15, 2017.

1. 97V6StangGuy

97V6StangGuy New Member

Hi. My name's Mike and I have a 1997 3.8 liter V6 automatic Ford Mustang. I am looking to replace the passenger side exhaust manifold. My question is how difficult of a job is this for someone with limited mechanical experience. I bought myself a few sets of sockets but forgot to get deep sockets. I have a floor jack and stands as well. Any information about the subject would be very much appreciated. PS. I know that Automatic transmissions are the black sheep of almost every car community but this is my first car and I really want to take care of the the best I can, as if it was a v6 manual transmission power horse.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  2. skittle_mustang

skittle_mustang New Member

GT 8.8" rear end, ford racing drive shaft, 4.10 gears, sr lower &upper control arms and oem GT rear spring and GT rear sway bar(don't forget the clips). For automatics I hear.

It's easy, don't worry. Think a 10mm , 3/8" or 1/2", 12mm socket for header bolts.

17 mm or 18mm, 3/4 "or 5/8" socket for the header to mid pipe.

You need like (2)6" 3/8 extensions for the header to mid pipe bolts. You need a 1-1/2" adjustable crescent wrench for the egr to manifold bolt and that's. About it I think.
    Unlike my longtube you don't need to lift motor.

3. shovel

shovel New Member

Job's pretty easy. The oil dipstick was a PITA when I was replacing the factory manifolds with shorty headers, but if you're just putting a replacement pass. side manifold on you won't even have to concern yourself with that.

4. douglass

douglass Active Member

Best thing to do is invest into a repair manual, and read about the job. You will usually know what questions to ask after reading about the job. You can get an idea of what tools you will need by looking at what is needed to take apart. The job is not hard, but the space is a little tight. Probably would be a good idea to buy a 3/8 inch torque wrench.