Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1998 3.8 Rebuild

Discussion in 'Personal Projects and Builds' started by Wild Pony, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Wild Pony

Wild Pony New Member

Currently in the process of rebuilding my new project. Its a 98 3.8, I'm going to pick up the heads today from the shop finally. Whats some inputs on painting or detailing the engine? For example the valve covers and upper and lower i take manifolds?

2. ProjectVicky

ProjectVicky Wrench Monkey

I looked everywhere for some chrome valve covers and they are not available anymore. I would google "engine paint schemes" to get ideas. I decided to go red-white-and-blue themed so I'll be painting the block red, accessories and lower intake silver, heads polished, and I guess the windstar intake will stay black. A good paint scheme is knowing how to use accent colors to make certain parts of your car stand out. If you paint your stock valve covers, make sure to get all that factory primer under the paint off, it's REALLY cheap quality, that's why the paint bubbles so badly on the 3.8s. I may invest in a sandblaster to get it all off the "Ford" emblem part.

3. Wild Pony

Wild Pony New Member

I havr been thinking about investing a sand blaster. Ran into a bigger problem. I found a crack on the lower intake going to cylinder #2 as well as a crack where the thermostat housing neck mounts too. Well i can not find a stock lower intake to save my life. Im not in the market for a complete upgrade yet. Do you know any place that i can get a lower intake manifold?

4. 6 Shooter

6 Shooter Well-Known Member

I have a 99-00 lower and will trade for yours. You pay shipping both directions. I use it for a mockup, so cracks no big deal.

Send back a private message with email address.

5. castelano

castelano Member

Hope you'll post some pictures of your project, I'm really stoked to see the progress! Keep up doing what you're doing and good luck with everything!

6. Wild Pony

Wild Pony New Member

So i found one on ebay thankfully! Sorry i didnt see your post sooner 6 Shooter. Well right now it runs. Im going to focuson getting to be a dailey drive then cosmetic. It is going to be a while before im doing any performance upgrades. Im going to do a pearl black instead with some gloss red trim. Ill post some pictures of the engine and the current progess soon. Im having surgery tomorrow so I wont be working on it for a while but i have many plans for this car!

ProjectVicky likes this.
  7. Wild Pony

Wild Pony New Member

8. Wild Pony

Wild Pony New Member

Heres a few pictures of the mustang currently

9. Wild Pony

Wild Pony New Member

Does anyone know if its possible to get a supercharger for a 3.8

10. mustang024

mustang024 Active Member

Yea you can find the supercoupe m90 setup search tccoa website should give you all the info you need. Could also find used procharger setup too.

If you are handy and mechanically inclinded. Build a turbo kit.

11. Wild Pony

Wild Pony New Member

12. mustang024

mustang024 Active Member

Thunderbird Super Coupe Eaton M90 kit

was browsing craigslist list for parts for my cougar and came across this. looks to be close to all the parts needed you must confirm though. should give you about 200hp 300tq

13. mustang024

mustang024 Active Member

Thunderbird Super Coupe Eaton M90 kit

was browsing craigslist list for parts for my cougar and came across this. looks to be close to all the parts needed you must confirm though. should give you about 200hp 300tq

14. Wild Pony

Wild Pony New Member

Im gonna get ahold of the guy tomorrow. Thank you! Personally id like a turbocharger. But im also not gonna pass up a deal like this. Thats alot of parts for 600.

15. Wild Pony

Wild Pony New Member

16. Wild Pony

Wild Pony New Member

I found this on the bearing sleeve when i took apart my idler pully, also found alot of gunk and dirt built up around each little ball, possible reason for that extremly annoying and significant Mustang whine will idling? We will soon find out

17. Wild Pony

Wild Pony New Member

Well after long annoyance and must frustration. This was the loud whining nose when i would start my car. I cant explain the relief because i really was not in the mood to replace a power steering pump lol.

18. Wild Pony

Wild Pony New Member

Got everything that i ordered finally. Done with the rear end. Next is the front brakes and the clock spring and that should about do it for the maintenance part. Next is upgrades. Not sure what exactly i want to do yet. I looled at the supercharger but i want to keep my options open. Any opinions?

19. Pacificsvt

Pacificsvt New Member

I sand blasted my valve covers and polished them . They look like chrome but won’t chip or peel like most chrome does.normally I’d say never sand blast valve covers as sand gets under baffle and can’t be fully cleaned out .. but ford put bolts on baffle so you can remove ex to clean.