Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1998 acceleration problem.

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by Samuel Barton, May 12, 2019.

1. Samuel Barton

Samuel Barton New Member

I've got a 1998 v6 3.8 Automatic mustang. the problem is when i'm driving for over say.. 30-40 minutes i get this acceleration problem. the engine won't rise over 2000 RPMs while in drive. when i put it into Neutral it won't go over 4000 RPMs the engine starts to act like it wants to die. pulling off to the side of the road, turning off the engine and restarting seems to help for about 10 minutes. then the problem comes right back. i've got a sneaking suspicion it's the MAF Sensor. I've recently replaced the Fuel pump and Filter around 180,000 miles. it's only been 1,000 miles since the replacement. I've just fixed a check engine light which was a vaccum leak. now there's no check engine light, kinda assumed this would take care of the acceleration issue... so it was presant before the fix. if anyone has any ideas let me know ty :)

2. HumanSVD

HumanSVD Member

Have you tried to clean it? If you decide to replace, try to stick to motorcraft when it comes to sensors.

I have no clue what else it could be.

Edit.

Could be the ECU needs to be reset. Now that I think about it. Also could be bad fuel pressure. What brand of fuel pump did you use?

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    Samuel Barton likes this.
  3. Samuel Barton

Samuel Barton New Member

i haven't cleaned the MAF sensor yet. just bought some MAF cleaner and will do that tomorrow. i also plan on putting a new Air filter. The fuel filter Is Duralast. but i don't think the fuel pressure is the problem if i'm not getting this problem under the 30-40 minute Mark. but it very well could be. i'll have to throw a fuel pressure gauge on it.