1999 3.8 V6, timing marks on harmonic balancer, where is TDC?

Robert N

1999 3.8 V6, timing marks on harmonic balancer, where is TDC?

I had to get my bifocals out and everything and still cannot determine where TDC is on the marks.. can someone look at these photos i took and maybe give me an idea? i cant tell if it's a 60 and a 65 mark on there of if its 360 and 65.. not sure what i'm looking at.

Attachments

6 Shooter

For starters, TDC is the number 1 piston at the top of #1 cylinder (passengers side front) in the compression stroke. Once there, use some white out to mark the bottom of the balancer pulley. Then, look for the timing marks.

Robert N

yeah i think i have the bottom correct now, i found somewhere that the shudder wheel sixth tooth from the gap is directly under the crank sensor.. which has timing mark directly in the middle of the marks on the balancer. Now, I just got to get crank synchronizer tool to set that and should be good to go.

Captain Max Silver

Captain Max Silver
yeah i think i have the bottom correct now, i found somewhere that the shudder wheel sixth tooth from the gap is directly under the crank sensor.. which has timing mark directly in the middle of the marks on the balancer. Now, I just got to get crank synchronizer tool to set that and should be good to go.
Don't Know If This Will Help It Is Hard To See Even On New Balancer. Once Located Marked With Timing Strip From MSD. 14 Degrees Before Top Dead Is About Stock Ignition Timing. On Camshaft Timing, 0 Degrees On Crank And 54 Degrees On Cam Sensor. Hope Not Clear As Mudd. LOL

Attachments

Robert N

from the pics i uploaded, the mark right in the middle is TDC. to verify was on compression stroke i loosened #1 spark plug almost all the way out, manually turned engine clockwise until i could hear air coming out the spark plug hole, aligned the center mark on the balancer with the pointer.. prong, the tone wheel is 6 teeth from the gap which puts it directly under the crank sensor.

Captain Max Silver

Captain Max Silver
from the pics i uploaded, the mark right in the middle is TDC. to verify was on compression stroke i loosened #1 spark plug almost all the way out, manually turned engine clockwise until i could hear air coming out the spark plug hole, aligned the center mark on the balancer with the pointer.. prong, the tone wheel is 6 teeth from the gap which puts it directly under the crank sensor.
That Was Why I Bought The Stick On Marker. Once I Found It's Easier To See With Timing Light For Varication Of Timing.. Old Eyes Made It Better. LOL