Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2000 3.8 balance identification

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by mustang679699, Jan 9, 2012.

1. mustang679699

mustang679699 New Member

I have a 2000 3.8 mustang motor that is now in my 97 f150. I would like to know how to be sure whether it is an early external balanced motor or a late 2000 internal balanced motor. Any info will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. mustangmike!

mustangmike! Active Member

not 100% sure, but based on the info on the UDP's, I would suggest looking at the harmonic Balancer/Pulley, and it'll either be off set with a larger side, or be even all the way around

3. mustangmike!

4. stangracer44t

stangracer44t Active Member

+1 on this.

The externally balanced motors have a large weight (looks like a raised up section of the balancer) and the neutral balance motor has just a normal looking balancer

5. mustang679699

mustang679699 New Member

Thanks a lot.... you all helped very much. Now another question I have is if anyone knows if a 97 4.2L balancer has a different number of teeth for the crank sensor... or if the space where there is no tooth is in a different place than a 2000 3.8L.

The reason I am asking this question is because when my brother and I installed the 3.8 in my 97 f-150 it would not run with the spark plug wire in the correct place on the coil pack.... i believe 4 of them had to be switched around... the truck runs fine like it is and i drive it every day... but it kinda stumble a little in low rpm and lacks power and torque in lower rpms also... it throws check engine codes randomly that say the truck is running lean on one side and rich on the other. I still have the factory 2000 mustang balancer on my motor.. thought maybe if the teeth were different it would cause the computer to read the crank position wrong and the injectors might still be firing on the wrong cylinder.

I'm sorry I am making everyone think backwards, because I know it makes more sense to replace a mustang 3.8 with a 4.2... and I have done the exact opposite. Everyone on the F-150 forums only want to criticize me on replacing my 4.2 with a 3.8 like it is blasphemy, instead of helping me. And the cold hard fact is that it costs a lot more money to find a good used 4.2 than it does a 3.8. My brother bought a whole wrecked 2000 convertible v6 for only $200 and the motor only had 50,000 mi. The 4.2s are so much more commonly abused because they come in trucks and work vans. My truck only had 137,000 mi. when the previous owner sent the # 6 rod though the oil pan.

Any information will be greatly appreciated, and thanks again for all your help.

6. xtreme 2

xtreme 2 New Member

the 4.2 is internally balanced. Shouldn't be able to use the same things as your 2000 motor. And it is mid 2001 when they changed to the internal balancing crankshaft.

7. ethans6

ethans6 Member

I just swapped to a split port motor, so is the shaft in the valley the internal balancing shaft?

8. xtreme 2

xtreme 2 New Member

9. mustangmike!

as far as the teeth question I have no idea. Ill be more then happy to dig up my 07 4.2 HB and my broken 04 3.8 HB and you can pay me to ship them so you can count, but I doubt its the same as the 97 :D

Sorry though, dont really have any idea. :( wish I could help. But FYI, if you go from a extrernal balanced engine to an internal, you'll need the internal balanced engine's HB and flexplate/flywheel.

External Balancing is a nightmare ...

10. lariatsam

lariatsam New Member

I have 2000 3.8l external balanced engine has a bad vibration how do I tell if it has the right flywheel

11. 6 Shooter

6 Shooter Well-Known Member

It has weights welded on one side.