Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2000 3.8L ecm and engine in 1998 3.8L?

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by edgar castrp, Nov 5, 2017.

1. edgar castrp

edgar castrp New Member

I'm going to be putting a 2000 3.8L complete engine with accesories and all in a 98 3.8L and from what i know the only thing that has to be changed is the cam shaft sensor and the injectors. the 98 comes with 14# injectors and the 2000 comes with 19# injectors. I was told that if i put the 2000 3.8l engine i need to put the 14# injectors otherwise i would need a tune if i kept the 19# injectors. anybody have any insight on this? My theory is that if i put a 2000 ecm in the 98 i can keep the 19# injectors with no problem.

2. douglass

douglass Active Member

I just finished installing a split port into my 96. If you are not going to tune the car, then you will need to use the 14lb injectors. You will need to reuse the 1998 mustang wire harness, and will need to make several modifications to lengthen connector ends. you will not need to change the sensors. I know you will use the 2000 IAC valve, but I think all the sensors are the same. You will need to modify the fuel rail if you have a return style fuel system in the 98 mustang. You may also need to modify the EGR tube to clear the fuel lines depending on if, and how you modify the fuel rail. The split port engine will also need to have an additional temp sensor hole drilled and tapped.

If you use the 14# injectors they will peg/max out during wot.

DocBoyales and edgar castrp like this.
  3. douglass

douglass Active Member

Here's the link to my build thread. I just finished the seal a few weeks ago. It's pretty detailed, and has a video at the end with the vehicle running.
    Split Port Swap 96 Mustang

4. edgar castrp

edgar castrp New Member

so how would i get around the 14# injectors that what im most concerned about. If i put the 19# the car will need a tune if i keep the 14 then they will max out

5. douglass

douglass Active Member

If you want to just install with the 14lb injectors now, and tune it later that would be an option. Just dont do WOT pulls. The 14lb injectors will max in the 96 mustang engine with just a few bolt on mods. To be honest, you will probably need to tune the car regardless opf the injector choice. I have the stock ford computer code for a 99/00 3.8 mustang, and there are several changes to many areas when compared to the stock 96 mustang tune. When I am finished tuning I will post everything I had to change.

Do you have a solution for the fuel rail?

6. edgar castrp

edgar castrp New Member

yes i do im thinking of using the E150 fuel rail. what about buying a tuner, would i be able to tune the injectors somehow into the tuner? never had a tuner before so im unsure, but i do know you can turn off like cel codes with it.

7. edgar castrp

edgar castrp New Member

ive also seen an article on how to splice one into the old 98 one

8. douglass

douglass Active Member

Did you see my build thread? I have a pretty detailed description with pictures using the f-150 rail.

You can have an SCT dealer make a tune for you, or you can buy the software, and tune yourself. You can program the injector's you use into the tune. I'm not sure how much support you will get from a dealer. I have not heard of very many people swapping the split port into a single port. Some tuners might not want to mess with the car.

9. edgar castrp

edgar castrp New Member

yes i did i actually have it bookmarked for future reference for the next couple weeks.

10. edgar castrp

edgar castrp New Member

also another question for ya, this 00 engine has a sensor in the back of the drivers cylinder head and the 98 didnt. would i just ignore that sensor or somehow solder a connection into harness?

11. douglass

douglass Active Member

Not sure what sensor you have in the back of the head. I pulled three sets of cylinder heard from 99-00 mustangs, and did not see a sensor attached. But I would assume that if the 98 doesn't have it, then leave it disconnected. Can you take a picture of the sensor?

12. edgar castrp

edgar castrp New Member

its the one on the left head and from what i understand i have to used the 98 engine harness on the 2000 motor right? been doin some research and cant find a definite answer

Attached Files:

13. 6 Shooter

6 Shooter Well-Known Member

The sensor in the back of the left side head is a cylinder Head Temp sensor. That sensor was a later addition and not available on a 2000 motor. Probably showed up in 2003 and for sure in 2004.

For your setup and switch, just remove it as your 98 wiring harness does not have this setup nor does your 104-pin harness and PCM.

14. edgar castrp

edgar castrp New Member

I'm gonna send the guy a text that sold it to me to tbh i recall it was a 2000 not a 2003 or 04 and oh ok just revmove it instead of leaving it there and unplugged.

15. douglass

douglass Active Member

Looks like the engine you have is an 01-04. Your lower intake manifold has the imrc on the back. I believe you will need to remove it with the butterfly valves, and JB weld the holes. The other solution would be to get an 99-00 lower intake.

Also, you will want to use the same year engine wire harness. You can use the split port harness as a donner as you make modifications. I bought another engine harness for my 96, and used the 99 harness as the Donner.

16. edgar castrp

edgar castrp New Member

so youre saying i cant make the engine work in the 98 if it has the imrc valves? ahhh its gonna be a pita if i have to remove those damn imrc plates .

17. douglass

douglass Active Member

I dont know how you would be able to make them work. Even if there is a switch in the tune that can be changed I have no idea how you would wire it into the stock computer. You would be the first person that I know of to swap in with the valve connected.

18. edgar castrp

edgar castrp New Member

Yeah thats exactly what i was thinking. it would be have to be changed in the tune and in the engine harness by splicing somewhere if it was even possible. Would be kinda cool but have heard the little motor that opens the valves tends to fail and id rather not have t deal with it in the future s. Not a pita to remove and changed the lower manifold just an extra thing i wasnt on planning to deal with.

19. 6 Shooter

6 Shooter Well-Known Member

There is no place in the 98 tune to throw a switch to turn on the IMRCs. Plus, there would have to be wiring added to the 104-pin PCM harness as well. But, even it there was, the PCM would not know how to tell it when to open and close. They must be removed and have the holes welded up. And, you will also find a lot of gunk that needs to be steamed cleaned out for better performance. Same with the upper.

20. edgar castrp

edgar castrp New Member

i think id rather take a trip down to the yard tommorrow not so sure how i feel about welding up the holes. What about just putting a bolt or something in the hole.