Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2000 3.8L ecm and engine in 1998 3.8L?

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by edgar castrp, Nov 5, 2017.

1. 6 Shooter

6 Shooter Well-Known Member

Another option would be to find a 99-00 lower intake as it has no IMRCs.

2. edgar castrp

edgar castrp New Member

by any chance you have any pictures of where you drilled a new temp sensor for the lower intake manifold? ive read your build thread but didnt see any picture of where the temp sensor was drilled. would be awesome to take a look and i have a couple other questions as i dropped the motor in already

3. douglass

douglass Active Member

I can get one up. I didn't realize I didn't take a pictures of it. I installed it behind the Thermostat housing.

4. edgar castrp

edgar castrp New Member

What do you think of this idea? so you dont have to tap into the lower manifold. I just saw this picture last night

Attached Files:

5. edgar castrp

edgar castrp New Member

oh and on another note i saw a video showing how to keep the return fuel system using the 01 returnless fuel rail and a piece of the singleport fuel rail.

6. douglass

douglass Active Member

7. douglass

douglass Active Member

I would still prefer to tap the intake manifold. The sensor sits just behind the the thermostat housing, so I know the temp reading will be very good. I'm not sure how accurate the temp reading is with the temp sensor in the heater tube as pictured. Not saying its a bad set up, but I would prefere to have it in the manifold. It's also much easier to drill and tap the hole with the manifold out of the car.

I have seen quite a bit of fuel rail set ups. The most important part of any fuel rail you fab up is to make sure it's going to be safe. You don't want to be driving around thinking about the fuel rail falling apart or rubbing somewhere causing a leak. This is the one reason is why I waited so long to do this swap. I have had a car catch fire, and it's not fun... The reason I chose the 4.2 fuel rail is because the rail itself requires no modificaton to work, just need a solution to mount two tabs.

8. edgar castrp

edgar castrp New Member

Very true on the car catching fire. I have another question for you douglas since youve been of much help. you said i didnt have to change the camshaft synchronizer right? I didn't pull the whole synchronizer itself but what i did do was switch the camshaft sensor since the 98 wire harness has a three prong where the 01 has a two prong sensor and wouldnt fit into my wire harness.

9. douglass

douglass Active Member

I just checked rockauto, and the Syncronizer is specific to 99-09. If your syncronizer is good in your 98, I would take the whole thing, and install it into the new engine. When I did the swap, I used everything from the 96 except the TPS, & the IAC Valve. You are probably going to have to retune the car too. I was using the same tune for the spilt port as my stock engine, and I was getting a rich code on both banks (fuel trims maxed out), and the wide band showed the same thing. I started tuning the engine on Saturday, and starting with a pretty much base tune I was off 25% with my fuel trims. I was running so rich that my fuel trims were maxed out not even switching. Most of the tuning is done, I need to do some at freeway speeds, then tune WOT. When I am finished tuning I will post the tune file, and the computer code.

If you end up using an intake set up from the 99-00 set up, I can give you a computer code. This will show the tuner how ford tuned the set up compared to your stock 98 engine. There were a lot of changes that I had to make, but the car drives like it has the stock engine.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  10. douglass

douglass Active Member

You might want to look into a tuner willing to help you with this before you get to deep onto it. I work with Don at Lasota racing LaSota Racing Ford Tuning & Training. He has always been very helpful.

11. edgar castrp

edgar castrp New Member

I have it pulled out already in case I did need it which you just conformed I do. The 98 cam synchronizer was running good before the engine overheated and blew the head gaskets. I know how to install it as well, I just didn't want to get this into installing the engine and making it run, since I thought it would be a little less of a hassle. I thought i would only have to change a couple of things to have it run. I have the engine installed in the engine bay already with all the necessary wires extended and hooked up. just need to hook the tranny back up, driveshaft midpipe, etc. So my best bet would be to get a tuner and retune the car? I have zero experience with a tuner, but have been interested in one in a while. I just want this thing running because I don't have a car at the moment and this car has brand new wheels, tires, all lights, h pipe, shifter, and struts. It's not like im gonna give up on it, its just a bit discouraging at the moment. Also, I do have a 2000 lower intake i removed the one with the imrc motor; however i have the 01 upper.

12. douglass

douglass Active Member

You could also try Justin at VMP tuning. He might be able to make a canned tune and sell you a tuner. Years ago he was into v6 mustangs, and may have a tune file saved for the swap. I don't think Don will make a tune, but will make a base tune, and will help you along the way as you do the tuning.

Maybe 6shooter can give some recommendations, I know he does his own tuning, and may know of other dealers that could help.

13. edgar castrp

edgar castrp New Member

So with a tuner i can basically put in the tune of another car into my cars computer and have it all pieced together?

14. douglass

douglass Active Member

The SCT X4 come preloaded with tunes for your stock engine that you load onto your computer, and it gives you the option to load custom tunes that you or an SCT dealer would make. You have a computer code on your computer that is used as the base tune (stock Ford calibration). Then you can make many changes, and preloaded values to this tune like injectors, timing tables, MAF specs etc. In a case where you are swapping and engine from a new car, or changing the engine type it is helpful to get an engine code tune file for that year of car. This allows you or the dealer to see what changes where made, or how the calibration is set up for that engine. I found a computer code for a 99-00 split port mustang, and had Don at Lasota racing create a value file that allow me load it to my base tune. This allowed me to see how the calibration was different from both engines.

Lets assume that Justin at VMP or anther Dealer have a tune on file for a split port swap, you should be able to upload the tune to your cars computer and it would work pretty well.

I used VMP years ago before I did my own tuning. I did a super coupe swap (supercharged v6 from the T-bird), and just loaded the tune. That was it, car drove fine.

15. edgar castrp

edgar castrp New Member

It the sct x4 the one you use? and oh ok i see what youre saying. Well i guess for now im gonna hook up the tranny and the rest of the under of the car and try to start it with the 14 injectors then later get the tuner and upload a base tune and put in the 21# injectors and go from there. Another question i have that i cant find is if we have to do anything to the engine to like refill the fuel lines or powersteering before we get the car going once everything is hooked up and ready to start.

Thanks for all the help so far.

16. douglass

douglass Active Member

Just plug the fuel lines in, and cycle the key a couple times to build up the pressure. Should start up in a few cranks. I dont drain the power steering system when I swap the engines out. I just move the pump out of the way, then reinstall it. If you did drain it, just fill it, start the car, top off, and turn the wheel full lock a few times. Top off again, and you should be good.

17. douglass

douglass Active Member

You should be able to use the stock injectors to get it running, and maybe drive it. If it does drive well with no codes, just dont get on it hard, because the 14lb injectors will not be able to supply enough fuel.

18. edgar castrp

edgar castrp New Member

Thanks a lot douglas youve been of much help. Once i get the car going I have you to thank because youve pretty much answered every question ive had, unlike the guys on the facebook mustang pages haha.

19. douglass

douglass Active Member

Not to say it has not been done, but I have not found a completed split port swap thread. The videos on you tube usually show a car struggling to run, or they are having problems.

I knew going into this I was pretty much on my own, and would have to figure it out.

20. edgar castrp

edgar castrp New Member

Finally bolted her all up today and got it running and sounds smooth check it out.