Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2000 3.8l V6 engine leaking at front crank shaft HHHHEEELLLPP!!

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by Alan Buck, Dec 16, 2011.

what should i do?

1. keep the engine until it blows

100.0%
  2. let mechanic take it apart

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. $1000 engine swap

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Alan Buck

Alan Buck New Member

hi there,

so my mustang has been leaking at the front crank shaft for a while now. i didnt think too much about it until it got more worse and right before a trip to arizona (i live in oregon) i thought ishould replace the crank shaft seal. so i did and 100 miles down the road it was leaking again.just great. so i told them i got a faulty seal they gave me a new one. same thing happened again. the shop then replaced the harmonic balancer and put another new seal on and thought it was fixed......nope! leaking at the same spot again. the shop is now asking me if i want to let them see whats wrong but they need to take the engine apart and im afraid it might get pricey real fast. the mechanic working on my car said it's probably some gears worn out and leaking the oil internally. should i let him see whats wrong or have my mustang friend do a clean swap out of a wrecked ebay mustang for $1000 total?

2. Mustang03

Mustang03 Active Member

Does it leak that bad, that youd pay 1000 to have it fixed? Mine leaks reeally slow, probably get about 2 drops of oil a day, I just ignore and check oil every other month.

3. Alan Buck

Alan Buck New Member

i'd say mine leaks close to 20+ drops in a good 24 hours, oddly enough though ive had this problem for 4 years now and as long as when i do my oil changes and i fill the oil to max reading my from my dip stick it doesnt go below the "low" reading between oil change; also this car isnt a daily driver so im sure that helps not lose oil. i did have to put in 4 quarts when i drove to arizona and back from my trip. i feel the car is safe to drive for a good while as it doesnt make nasty noises and runs perfectly with no loss of power...heck i even get 28mpg on the highway! but that oil leak is killing me! the driveway gets so messy its insane

4. xtreme 2

xtreme 2 New Member

I would bet your timing cover is scarred and the seal is not forming properly.

5. Alan Buck

Alan Buck New Member

is that really bad? im still in the learning phase of being a mechanic...how much do you think it'd cost? or rather how easy is it on the fixing scale is it to fix?

6. kobudo

kobudo Well-Known Member

Replacing the timing cover isn't too bad, it just depends on what you have to pull off to get at it. It's not uncommon for a new seal seated at the same depth as the old one to leak when the metal it's seated against is a little worn.

7. xtreme 2

xtreme 2 New Member

Or if someone used a screwdriver to pull out the old one...

8. kobudo

kobudo Well-Known Member

Yeah, that would gouge the **** out of the seal's seating surface too.

9. xtreme 2

xtreme 2 New Member

generally you can just unhook the serp belt, remove the ps assembly, and undo all the bolts and carefully pull it off...

don't forget to drain the oil first...

10. MMR

MMR I like cars!

What color is the oil that its leaking? ..red or brown?

Check the bolts on your oil pan. My car did the samething, and it turnes out the 4 back bolts were loose.