Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2000 4.2 swap missing/pinging

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by Ajpscout, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Ajpscout

Ajpscout New Member

My build has been finished for a few months and I have been daily driving my 4.2 swapped car. Everything is stock 2000 model mustang except the block and heads. The 4.2 came from a 2001 F-150 and everything bolted right up ( except some slight modifications to the oil pick up and trimming the 4.2 girtle slightly ).

Ever since I got it running it’s had a slight stumble around 1500 rpms and a really sensitive gas pedal at low rpms when rolling. When at full throttle under load it sounds like it has some pinging also, but when it is almost at redline it clears up and gains power.

It has a new coil, wires, plugs are in great shape, new fuel pump, fuel filter... It does however have an oxygen sensor that is not working at the moment, and an egr code. I’m not really sure what’s going on, any ideas? Could this be a timing issue?

2. Sauceja

Sauceja Member

Sounds like an egr and o2 issue.

Fix the codes and it should clear up. The egr closes at WOT but works at cruising speeds.
    O2 sensors throwing codes will go into a fault mode and run rich.

I would spend the time to fix both of those issues then reassess.

3. Ajpscout

Ajpscout New Member

I'll try to start diagnosing the O2 sensors. I've swapped out all of the sensors with good ones that I had laying around and nothing did the trick, so now I'm assuming there is a short somewhere. I'm not sure where to start with the EGR system because I've never really had any experience with it before. Thanks for the suggestion

4. Sauceja

Sauceja Member

That sucks on the O2 sensors. Have you checked voltage at sensors?
    Possible bad ecu although that would be extreme.

Not sure on egr. I've always just deleted them.
    If the 3.8 split port egr work I have all my stuff still .
    Usually they get dirty with carbon build up .For the cost of a gasket you can clean the crap out of it.