Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2000 motor swap

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by branden0502, May 15, 2017.

1. branden0502

branden0502 Member

Hey guys. I'm looking at getting a 2000 v6 that will need a new motor. I called the local pick and pull to see what they have and they have 3 motors out of 04's but the guy said they wouldn't work. He said only 99-00 would work in a 2000. Is he right or full of it?

Thanks for the help

2. 6 Shooter

6 Shooter Well-Known Member

Wrong. The 2004 motor will work, but will need the flywheel and the harmonic balancer along with the 2004 motor. Suggest you pull the sensors off of your 2000 and install them on the 2004 so your PCM will not realize any changes.

3. branden0502

branden0502 Member

Thanks shooter. Is there any reason why he would say it wouldn't work other than ignorance? I'm pretty sure the balancer and flywheel come with there engines

4. 6 Shooter

Lack of knowledge. Be sure the 2004 comes with harmonic balancer and flywheel. One caveat--If you have a stick and if the motor came from an auto, you may have to switch flex plates. In any case, the 2004 is a neutral balanced motor and must use a flex plate with NO counter weights. And, the 2004 harmonic balancer is also for a motor that is neutral balanced.

Also, the 2004 cylinder head on the back side of the driver's side (I think), will have a cylinder head sensor that is not used in the 2000 car. Just ditch that sensor and switch over as many sensors from the 2000 as possible. The key is if the 2000 harness will not fit in the 2004 sensor, then switch out the 2004 sensor.

Some things will depend upon whether the 2004 comes complete with pullies, upper intake, lower intake, throttle body, IAC, A/C bracket, PS bracket, water pump, oil pump, etc.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
    branden0502 likes this.
  5. branden0502

branden0502 Member

So basically if the motor is just complete (all accessories, flywheel, pulleys, etc) all I really need to worry about is the flex plate. The car I'm looking at is a 5spd

Thanks for all the help shooter. I'm headed out there tomorrow to pick it up

6. pixapusho

pixapusho Member

Do it! Great platform to work on. I just did something similar. In addition... use your 99 lower and upper intake since the 04 will have IMRC's. Use the 99 harness. Your 99 exhaust manifolds will have ports on the front that go to air bypass control valve. The 04 will not have it. 04 fuel injectors are slightly different... for continuity i would use the 99's, though i believe you can use either or with no ill effects. The injectors have a different spray pattern and slightly different flow rating. Have fun!

7. branden0502

branden0502 Member

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm going to pick up the stang tomorrow.

Pix: it's a 2000 not 99 but I'm assuming those would be the same. I'll post updates

8. pixapusho

pixapusho Member

As far as i know 99 and 2000 were the same. Keep us posted

koalabear likes this.
  9. 6 Shooter

The 99-00 lower intakes did not have IMRCs so would agree that using the 2000 lower intake on the 04 motor would be the best way to go to not piss off the PCM and require a tune change.

10. branden0502

branden0502 Member

Thanks for all the help guys. I picked it up today. Ill probably start pulling parts tomorrow.

11. 6 Shooter

When torqueing the bolts on the lower, start at the center of one side then the center of the other side and continue on a circle pattern heading outward until the last corner. Use that exact same pattern each time. First start with finger tight. Then, with a quarter inch drive wrench and socket, just 1/2 turn only. Next, get a 1/4 inch torque wrench that is setup in INCH pounds. First setting should be around 20-30 INCH pounds. Second setting should be 50 INCH pounds. Third setting should be about 75 inch pounds, last setting should be about 100-120 inch pounds. The reason for this meticulous method is that coolant flows between the heads to the lower intake. A bad torque technique will cause the coolant to leak which is a PITA. Be sure to read the markings on the lower intake gaskets. The right front is placed on the passenger side with the markings facing upward. With this technique, I have also used some Edelbrock GascaCinch on both sides of the lower intake gasket which is an adhesive that helps that lower gasket seal to the heads and the lower intake to help prevent coolant leaks.

branden0502 likes this.
  12. ProjectVicky

ProjectVicky Wrench Monkey

Exactly what 6 Shooter said ^^
    Most junkyards will tell you it won't work because most customers are expecting a direct replacement "plug and play" engine. So when a customer uses an 04 engine in a 99-00, and the computer or electronics or check engine light malfunctions because they didn't do their homework on the supporting parts and how to modify them correctly, they usually blame the junkyard ("You said it would work!") before admitting that they do not know how to make the parts work together. To avoid liability, it's just easier for the JY to discourage you from doing the swap than to risk another customer who may not know what they are doing calling back to complain. I can't say I blame the JY on this.
    I'm fitting an 02 into a 98, but I did a lot of homework prior to buying (6 Shooter usually being the helpful guru) to make sure I can make it work together before I attempt the build. To avoid JYs giving me crap on the phone, when they ask "What year is your car?" I just tell them 2000 3.8, otherwise the conversation always goes like this:

Me: "Hi, I'm looking for a 1999-2004 Mustang 3.8 V6 Engine."
    JY: "What year is your car?"
    Me: "1998 but I ---"
    JY: "Why would you want to put a 99-04 into a 1998?!"
    Me: "I understand that there will be a lot of modifying to make it work--"
    JY: "A 99-04 isn't going to work. Why don't you just get a 1998 motor?!"
    Me: "I want to buy a 99-04 because it has a split port design, more stock horsepower --"
    JY: "If you want more horsepower, why don't you just buy a V8?!"
    Me: *Smashes phone repeatedly into table*

I have had this exact conversation with at least half the JYs I've called in DFW.

13. branden0502

branden0502 Member

HAHA, that's almost how it went. I just told them I wanted an 04 engine, and he would just keep asking for the vin number. even when I said i didn't have it he said to call back when I did. They seemed very against just selling me what I wanted.

14. branden0502

branden0502 Member

I ended up finding a guy on CL with an 03 engine with 94k on it. I was able to snag that for 250 with all the accessories still attached, even the flex Plate and TC, even though I won't need them. So I'm hoping that after I swap everything over I can part out what I don't use and make some money back. Between the car and the motor I'm only out 500 +45 for the tow dolly so all in all not a bad take.

15. pixapusho

pixapusho Member

Great find! I got mine for 500 with 35k on it. Came out of a wrecked convertible. I was probably 1300 into it plus the car. It has been a great daily! I just cant get rid of my power steering whine even after 4 pumps and new hoses. Now post some pictures! :)

16. branden0502

branden0502 Member

I will be posting pictures when we get into it. I work on tug boats so I'm out of town for the next two weeks, but when I get off I'll have 2 weeks straight to work on it. I'm hoping to get a new flywheel, clutch,front bumper, D Fender and hood ordered while I'm at work so it will all be waiting for me when I get home and can get it done. I can't wait to get started

17. branden0502

branden0502 Member

I've read in 2 places that I will have trouble with the pats system after the engine swap. I don't see where I'm replacing anything that will effect that but I could be wrong. Does anybody know?

18. pixapusho

pixapusho Member

I converted an engine with a '99 harness/component setup and put it into an '02... not a single issue. I think that pertains to all-out swaps like the 4.6 Modular or 5.0

19. branden0502

branden0502 Member

Thanks for the input. Hopefully it won't be an issue

20. branden0502

branden0502 Member

quick question. with the 2000 stang and 03 engine. should i use the computer from the 00 or the 03. I also have the wiring harness for both engines.

Thanks guys