Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2000 mustang 3.8

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by Jacob Evans, Jan 28, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Jacob Evans

Jacob Evans New Member

What flywheel do i need for my mustang I am looking for flywheels and I'm seeing 99-00 and 00-04 what's the difference

2. six gun

six gun Active Member

2000 model years can be tricky because early ones have externally balanced cranks and later half uses internal balancing. A way you could check is the harmonic balancer on your crank pulley. My 99 has external balancing so it has a weight on it. See picture

https://www.rpmoutlet.com/images/asp820117stock.jpg

3. Sam36

Sam36 Active Member

Mid-00 and earlier have a weight cast into the back of the flywheel. For an automatic, the weight is welded onto the flexplate. If you are replacing a flywheel, I would not trust anything aftermarket. There's been plenty of post on here about bad vibrations after replacing a clutch and pressure plate as parts companies apparently aren't really balancing anything anymore. I bought a Luk flywheel once but after looking at it, I noticed there were no "balance" holes drilled anywhere in it. Highly doubt it was just perfectly balanced after being cast... I took it back and bought a used OEM off of ebay and then took that to a machine shop to get resurfaced. I wanted to get it balanced but most machine shops can't balance a weighted flywheel.

Attached Files:

4. Melissa Mitchell

Melissa Mitchell New Member

I have a 2000 Mustang automatic 3.8, 6 cylinder when I bought it, it didn't run because the fuel pump was bad. After putting in the new fuel pump, it started right up, but the whole front end of the car shakes, it shakes the whole car but worse in front. The trans does make some chattering noise's. No grinding noise's though. I changed the harmonic balancer but that didn't fix the shaking in motor. Was also told that a trans mount might fix the problem. I don't know if the trans had ever been replaced. And when i start the car, it idles really high sounds like it's going to take off, after running for a few minutes it idles down. But it still idles high. Sure could use some help with these problems.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  5. Sam36

Sam36 Active Member

Usually bad shaking on a car that hasn't ran in awhile is due to a cylinder not getting fuel or spark.