Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2000 mustang base tranny problems

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by AustinYoung96, Dec 16, 2017.

1. AustinYoung96

AustinYoung96 New Member

Hello i am new to this thread but i just have a quick question. I have an 2000 mustang v6 and the transmission has a delay in shifting from 1st to 2nd. Shifts through other gears just fine. I have no idea where to look to resolve this problem. Itll shift around 3k-4k rpms. Any ideas/thoughts?

2. 6 Shooter

6 Shooter Well-Known Member

Is your speedometer accurate? The shifts on the auto trans are based on mph numbers. They can be changes with tune changes.

3. AustinYoung96

AustinYoung96 New Member

Yeah the speedometer seems accurate. It just shifts at a high rpm and also i have to let off the gas as well for it to switch gears or else rpms just redline

4. 6 Shooter

Has there been a tune change to the car? Or, have you or someone replaced the transmission with a different year model?

5. AustinYoung96

AustinYoung96 New Member

No tunes that i know of or tranny swap. I bought it a couple months ago and its been like that ever since. But its a 1-2 delay. The rest of the gears seem like they shift fine. Im just clueless on what it could be

6. 6 Shooter

Humm...The tune for the car has about 300 transmission tables which the PCM uses to shift the transmission. 1-2 stock shift is terribly low at about 9 mph. The transmission has a valve body that moves fluid around and causes the car to shift when commanded by the MPHs and the PCM via the tune. The valve body can be pulled and replaced without pulling the transmission. Certainly cannot guarantee that the valve body is the issue, and another likely source is unchanged tranny fluid and or its filter over a hundred thousand miles and percolates through the valve body and it's pores and channels.