Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2001 V6 Ford Mustang trouble starting when hot

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by Mustang proud, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Mustang proud

Mustang proud New Member

Curious of anyone has has this issue before. I have a 2001 Ford Mustang 3.8L. Occasionally when I am out driving and turn off the engine for a few minutes it will not start again until it sits for a couple of hours. I have replaced the fuel pump, crank position sensor, cam position sensor and the coil pack. The car runs great and gets 28 MPG and gets regular maintenance. This has me stumped and is starting to get expensive. No idiot lights are on and it shows no codes in memory. Thoughts? Who is going to be my new hero? lol

2. snyderbj

snyderbj New Member

Have you thought about a vapor locking situation. Next time release your gas cap to let the air escape. Does this only happen when you use your A/C?

3. Mustang proud

Mustang proud New Member

Very intermittent. Never use the AC so nothing to do with that. Have talked to other owners and each one has a different answer. Have not tried taking off the fuel cap. Will try that next time it does it. Last week I called for a tow and the driver took a couple hours to get to me. He jumped in the car turned the key and it fired right up. When it runs it purrs like a kitten. Lots of power, great gas mileage. That is what has me stumped. May be forced to just start replacing parts until I hit the right one. I love this car. I was a Pontiac guy my whole life. Then I was reformed. lol Going to try mass air sensor, fuel pump driver, pressure switch, Inertia switch, o2 sensors, EGR value, CCRM module, PCM relay. All things different people recommended. May only do it once a month or so, but its a pain when it does. Let it sit a couple hours and it fires right up.

4. snyderbj

snyderbj New Member

Also check for warped head and cracked water port. My mustang purred when idling but overheated. I took off the left side head (Drivers) and I had antifreeze in 4 and over a cup in 6. I had starting problems after the engine warmed up.

5. Mustang proud

Mustang proud New Member

I will mention that to my mechanic. Doesnt overheat though. And not down on fluids at all. Such a great running car. Only issue is the intermittent starting issue once in a while. I appreciate the suggestion.

6. ALConfederate

ALConfederate New Member

Intermittent issue with an injector causing flooding. I had a Mercury Sable do that to me. You might be able to start it by holding the pedal all the way to the floor while cranking for a bit. This shuts off the injectors and lets the engine pump the extra fuel out.

You can check for this by pulling plugs when you get a no-start to see if any are soaked with gas. If it's bad enough you'll be able to smell gas in your oil.

7. Mustang proud

Mustang proud New Member

I will have to give that a try when it acts up again, as well as someones suggestion for removing the gas cap. The good\bad thing about this issue its its very intermittent and doesn't last very long (couple of hours). This makes it pretty hard to diagnose since by the time I get it to the mechanic its running fine. I did have to reprogram my keyfobs today which has happened a few times in the past. Which makes me wonder if I have a security issue. I did have the compression and the heads checked today which was also suggested. No issues found. Eventually I will find the issue. Until then I will continue to explore suggestions from other members. Much appreciated everyone. PS I do plan on changing out the mass air sensor next week and possibly the cylinder head coolant temperature sensor...

8. alexzander

alexzander New Member

sounds like a bad starter or a starter starting to go bad