Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2002 Procharger startup tune

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by AndyG47, Jun 9, 2019.

1. AndyG47

AndyG47 SMR# 530

I'm sure the answer is right in front of me somewhere but I'm not finding it.

I'm planning on grabbing an X4 for my '02 3.8 as well as getting the car dyno'd properly. However I'm in need of just a startup tune to make sure everything is meshing properly and I don't have any leaks or major issues. There's been a ton of changes and relocation of stuff.

Key points:
    3.8 with stock internals
    PnP lower (IMRC still in place), Windstar upper
    Crown Vic 65mm TB with BBK guts
    ProCharger Stage 1 (5 to 7 Psi kit) intercooled and atmosphere vented
    Cobra blue injectors and NGK plugs
    Catless
    Converted to slot style MAF
    Converted to T5 manual

Anybody know a company that will do an e-mail startup tune? And YES I know I can't drive hardly anywhere or lean on it with just a start tune.

2. 6 Shooter

6 Shooter Well-Known Member

VMP Tuning https://www.vmpperformance.com/ has startup tunes. Be sure to tell them the installed MAF name and model number, plus the lbs per hour flow of the injectors (i.e. 42s or 38s, etc) plus the brand name. Also tell them the car has a returnless fuel pump and whether the pump is stock or an upgrade (again, which pump and flow rate). Also mention that the car used to be auto?? and now a T5 manual?? Need to provide them with your PCM 4-digit code which is shown with a sticker on the PCM. Plus, mention if you have changed the gear ratio and if yes, to what. Mention CATs removed, but IMRCs installed and functional. Also mention the ProCharger Stage 1 with 7 psi and intercooled which will guide them as to the numbers to load into the Borderline Knock timing table. Best to send a very detailed list with your request for an email tune. Also find out if and/or how many tune mods will be included in their price.

I wrote this piece in the SCT Software Blog site. Best to read it, understand it, and set up as best you can to review the data after the motor is running. You should be able to download LiveLink to a laptop and develop a config file when the X4 is connected to the car and the computer. If you cannot, speak with SCT to find out what it takes.

To solve some drivability and tuning problems, data logging is the only solution to seeing and understanding what the motor is seeing from the tune at any one point in time. Multiple data fields can be viewed at or around the same point in time to see what is changing and when the numbers change. When viewing multiple data fields and noticing the changes, one can use the numbers and make specific changes in the tune to improve drivability and engine performance issues.

Recommended data fields to view which can be displayed in a data log can be viewed by creating a config.sys file using the laptop, Livelink, and having the xCal plugged into the car with ignition key on. Data fields recommended, specifically with the returnless fuel system are: Battery-1, Inlet Air Temp-0, ECT-0, CHT-0, Fuel Source-0, Returnless Pump Duty Cycle-3 Fuel Flow at the Pump-3, Voltage from Table-2, Voltage at the Pump-2, Rail Pressure Across Injectors-0, Wideband O2-1 or -2), STFT1-2, STFT2-2, Idle Air Controller Duty Cycle-3 RPMs-0, Load-3, MAF Counts-0, Spark-0, Spark Source-0, Throttle Position Absolute-0, Speed-0, and Gear-0. LTFT1-3 and LTFT2-3 can also be added if needed. The dash numbers after each data field equal the number of recommended decimal places. The list recommended is not in the same sequence as generated by the Livelink config listing, but are listed above in logical groupings for ease of human viewing.

The output data log will be produced in a .cvs file which is comma delimited. So, when saving the file after it is generated by the data logger, first save the file as an Excel workbook spreadsheet. Next, click on the #2, in row 2 on far left side, which will highlight the entire #2 row. Then, click on View, then click on Freeze Panes. Now, click on Freeze Top Row. This will allow the top row of column definitions to stay in place while data rows can be moved up and down.

Next, click on the #1, in row 1 on the far left side, which will highlight the entire first row. Then click on the Home tab. Depending on the version of Excel, click on the tiny downward facing arrow in the section called General. Click on the Alignment Tab, and then click on the Wrap Text box. Voila, the beginning of readable columns of data. The next step is to click on the letter of each column which will highlight the entire column. Then, click on the downward facing arrow in the General section and choose number which will display a box to allow you to choose the number of decimal places.

Now you have something much more human to view and the decimal places that match up with the same decimal places in the SCT Advantage tables.

A second trick is to move columns into places such as the listing above. Select Home, then select the location of the column to the left of where you want to insert a column. Then click on Insert which will open up a blank column. Then go to the column you want to move and click on that heading letter and click on Cut. Move cursor to the top of the blank column, and click paste. A really useful tool is to delete all rows containing zero RPMs at the beginning of the data log which may be as long as 500-1000 rows of junk. Another useful tool is to highlight with yellow, numbers or groups of numbers which change, such as fuel source, spark source, throttle position, and other numbers which make huge changes such as during startup, IAC from .9xx to .5xx or huge swings in pressure across injectors.

3. fasterthanyou

fasterthanyou Active Member

I mean, just for the sake of starting it you could put the stock injectors back in and it should run. If it doesn't want to run then unplug the maf and the ecm will run off of the aplha N table (failed maf table).

Another easy option is to remove the fuel pump fuse, connect a small tank of propane (think camping section of sears) to any vacuum source and run the engine off of the propane tank.

6 shooter's reply is the proper way to go about it though.