Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2004 v6 Tuner

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by Anthonycovvv, May 10, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Anthonycovvv

Anthonycovvv New Member

i was wondering if there was anyone on here located in or around Maryland that had a tuner for the v6, I just recently installed a CAI , and I plan on buying more parts, but I can’t afford to put out $300 for a tuner on top of buying everything else I need haha, I can afford to drive to someone in surrounding areas and pay $50-$75 for someone to hook their tuner up and help me out,
    Thanks, Anthony

2. fasterthanyou

fasterthanyou Active Member

Do you already have the tuning hardware such as an SCT handheld flasher or quarterhorse chip?

If not, 75 dollars isnt a realistic expectation.

The sct hardware itself is generally 300 bucks. Then add on the cost of the tune. Even an emailed "canned tune" will be more than 75 bucks.

If you already have a quarterhorse chip with the software, I'm sure someone would be able to "tune" it for 75 bucks. Not a professional tuner but maybe a hobbyist. You wont gain much from a tune with no mods though. They will probably just update the FPDM scalars and throw in a couple of degrees of spark in the midrange and high end part of the spark table.

3. fasterthanyou

Sorry I typed out that long winded rant and it wasn't even what you were asking for in your original post lol.. I don't know anyone in the MD area. Maybe someone else on here does.

4. Anthonycovvv

Anthonycovvv New Member

I was hoping someone could just hook their tuner up to it haha, I’m new to this whole car thing, I don’t know much. I just installed my cai, buying throttle body this week, and getting my exhaust kit next

5. HumanSVD

HumanSVD Member

You'll be hard pressed to find someone willing to for that for 75. Save up money and go see a pro.

6. fasterthanyou

Use the 300 for a windstar intake swap or 3.73 gears or maybe a shift kit if its an auto. There are a hanful of bolt on mods that can gain you a few hp here and there.
    These cars handle like boats from the factory. Suspension upgrades can make the car feel totally different from stock.

Warhorse Racing
    Check out this guys autocross v6 stuff. He posted a budget build suspension setup that performs really well.

7. 08'MustangDude

08'MustangDude Profile Violation

You can find a Diablosport tuner for $100, I did! You will want the InTune1000 ,or
    Preadator, check Facebook Marketplace for a tuner.

I can get a Predator right now, for mine, for $75.00, but I already have a tuner.

EXAMPLE, $80.00: Facebook Marketplace: Diablo predator tuner for 99-04 Mustang GT - Auto Parts - Streeter, West Virginia

So, look for a V6 tuner...

DO NOT buy a locked tuner, it costs to unlock. Also, DiabloSport no longer
    supports the Predator or InTune1000, so if they're locked, you won't be able
    to get them unlocked. People won't tell you that, so you spend $50 on a
    married tuner, and can't do ANYTHING with it.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  8. Sam36

Sam36 Active Member

You're best bet would be to just cough up the $450 and go with the sct x4. Visit vmptuning.com or just email justin (at) vmptuning.com. He used to be active here on the forums. He knows these cars well and will get you a good custom tune. I would not trust any of the "one size fits all" tunes from the other companies. These cars are all different in how much timing you can run before you get detonation, etc and having someone to work with you is worth it.

9. 08'MustangDude

08'MustangDude Profile Violation

None of those more expensive tuners are worth it for a naturally aspirated V6.