Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2005 Automatic Transmission

Discussion in '2005-2010 V6 Mustang Tech' started by Ferricsteed, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Ferricsteed

Ferricsteed New Member

Question on solenoid pack diagnostics. Am I able to supply battery voltage to energize each of the 8 solenoids without a problem? My plan is to supply battery voltage to pin #3 and then ground each of the 8 other pins from each solenoid. Thanks.

2. 08'MustangDude

08'MustangDude Profile Violation

So what's the question then? You told us what you did, but then
    didn't actually ask anything about the solenoids; only that you were
    able to manually activate them. Then told us your plan... So what
    is your "Question on solenoid pack diagnostics."?

3. Ferricsteed

Ferricsteed New Member

My question is "May I activate each solenoid using 12v battery voltage without burning up the solenoids? My apprehension is the three pressure control solenoids are "current limited" by the PCM to place them in either three positions or use multiple positions modulated by the PCM. They are not "off/on" solenoids like the other 5 are. (The TCC solenoid may be current limited too, not sure.) I just want to mimic the high dollar "transmission testers", do they simply applying full battery voltage with the full current available from a battery which can weld wrenches and screwdrivers or are do they limit the current so the solenoids don't burn up.

4. 08'MustangDude

08'MustangDude Profile Violation

IF they are current limited, then use a 9V battery, see if you get any movement
    from them. They have INTERNAL resistance, that doesn't mean they are
    current limited. They have coils in them. The TCC solenoid coil acceptable resistance,
    measured at the harness connected to the solenoid module, is 9 to 16 ohms. The other
    solenoids, 16 to 45 ohms. A 9V battery may energize them. However, all you need
    to do is use a multiplier and test the resistance on them. SO, say you test the
    TCC solenoid, and got 13-14 ohms, well, that is in the 9-16 ohm resistance range.
    SAme with the others, if you get readings within 16 to 45, then they're good. You
    don't need to apply voltage to test them.

Here's the thing, after the work involved in removing the solenoid pack, and if you suspect that one
    of them is bad; then it's not a bad idea to simply buy a newer, updated module for a couple hundred
    bucks, and throw it back in. If you guessed wrong, and it was not a solenoid, then you have at least
    updated, and bypassed possible near-future problems. You can get solenoid packs on eBay.

5. Ferricsteed

Ferricsteed New Member

Thanks for advice, I followed it. I bought a new solenoid pack and installed it. I was able to both measure resistance and apply battery voltage momentarily to activate each solenoid. Each clicked. I pulled valve body out and pulled each plunger, cleaned and reinstalled. Long story short, the tranny worked for a week but then the problem recurred. The problem codes are 0748 pressure control solenoid A malfunction and 0963 high pressure in A circuit. Tranny then shifts harshly in all gear changes. The next day, I may not have a flashing "o/d off" with the tranny shifting fine. This is an intermittent problem. I suspect faulty wiring. Hopefully I find a bad ground. It is a pain trying to check continuity between the pcm and tranny electrical plug. Will keep you posted.