Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged + 07Camaro, LS7

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by greatsave9, Aug 18, 2004.

1. greatsave9

greatsave9 Well-Known Member

I did a quick search and was surprised I didn't find any topics. Opinions on the car anyone?

I'm sure most people know about it already, but its a 205hp 200tq supercharged 2.0L I4. Only reason Im making this topic is I saw it in my new MAXIM magazine and saw only $20k for 0-60 in 6.2. Sure its no SRT4 but could this car become a potential powerhouse? Or do you think it'll be as rare as these S/C Impalas and Monte Carlos. I dont see too many GTPs actually. Perhaps a '05 Mustang V6 killer..... (even though Mustang is base model VS the top model of the Cobalt). I wonder what production numbers will look like for this car. Think a pulley on that S/C will make it a fast car?

Success or failure do you think? Especially with VW, Honda and the SRT4 dominating the sport compact field.

[​IMG]
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame.mv?file=car.mv&num=1973

"The engine includes an Eaton M62 helical roots-type supercharger and features an air-to-water intercooler to reduce the temperature of air entering the engine. The supercharger produces a maximum boost pressure of 12 pounds per square inch (psi)."

Only comes in a 5speed. 4.05 final gear ratio. 18 inch rims too.
    0-ΒΌ mile : 14.9 sec @ 95.5 mph (High ass trap speed, unconfirmed I just took this one stat off a site. Could be faster... but could be slower)
    200 ft skidpad : 0.86 g
    Curb Weight : 2991 lbs

------------------------------------
    Didnt want to make another thread so I thought Id add it here
    ------------------------------------

The Return of the Chevrolet Camaro in 2007
    http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/0409phr_camaro/
    "PHR commissioned computer artist and animator Kris Horton to smooth out Pauwel's drawing. Horton added color, put realistic wheels and tires on and modeled it in diffuse natural light. The resemblance to the Opel Insignia is striking. Insiders say the base model will be a V6 RS and the performance version will have a 5.3-liter V8 (that's 327 cubic inches!) and be called SS. A year or two later, a more powerful Z28 performance model will follow on, perhaps with a 6-liter V-8."

505HP 6.4L LS7 for the Z06. I read the GM thing, parts of it at least and they didn't mention the engine size or anything, but everyone in thread keeps saying 6.4L 505hp.
    http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=871905

2. Hyp0rbyte

Hyp0rbyte New Member

It looks like a cavilier with a big wing?

3. 3.8MustangSteve

3.8MustangSteve Secretary of Defense

The wing ruins the whole car.

4. Big Pimpin

Big Pimpin Asian Correspondant

a cross between a cavalier and a civic. not enough power to impress me (and leave the horsepower of my car out of this)

5. MichaelB21

MichaelB21 Mr. Nice

I think Kobold would have been a better name.

6. _Mike_

_Mike_ MacGyver

1) It's kinda light, thats good.

2) already has 18" wheels, so smaller wheels would make it faster, or we already know our facvorite 18" rim will fit :thumbup:

3) gotta love the gear ratio 4.05, must make for a wicked first gear

4) downside, I doubt the engine will be ready for anymore than the rated horsepower, this certainly wont be a cobra/supra with the bulletproof shortblock taking 1000 horsepower. If im wrong, this will be a sweet car.

5) the potential to ruin it is everywhere, i can imagine the hideous cobalts now

I just found out the block will be good in stock form to 250hp, probably more, and the "racing version" to 1000: http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame.mv?file=car.mv&num=1666

Not sure what the "racing version" is

7. DarkEntity

DarkEntity Well-Known Member

I'd take that over Ford Focus SVT.

8. Travis

Travis Lexus ES350 - Nissan Skyline GTR

It is. The Cobalt is the new Cavalier...so yes, it's a Cavalier with a big wing...and a supercharger. Pretty racy and whatnot. Good power for the price.

9. 96whitestang

96whitestang Scream for me!

I wouldn't. I kinda like the SVT Focus (even though I'd much rather have the Focus RS). This new Cobalt looks like a turd with wheels...and oh yeah, a wing.

10. DarkEntity

Kinda reminds me of the new model Civic coupes, and I think they look pretty good. :thumbup:

11. nikko

nikko Admin Emeritus Off Topic Moderator

Maybe I just don't get it, but can someone explain to me why this matters at all? I hear it said all the time... and really... what's the justification here?

Price is price. If two cars are close to the same price then that's all that matters. Position in their respective model lines has no bearing on anything.

12. joshs21

joshs21 Now a Mach 1

I don't care for the styling too much. Reminds me of a mix between a cavalier and a neon, neither of which I'm very fond of.

13. Kuplex

Kuplex Retired Admin

The Cobalt is okay. But that's it.
    That pic of the 2007 Camaro concept has got to go. It has one of the ugliest front ends I have ever seen.......looks like Chevy decided to kill the Camaro, then revive a ugly reincarnation.... :(

14. DarkEntity

When was the last time you looked at the 2005 Mustang?

The sad part is that it's not even a concept. It's a real car now... just horrible :thumbdown

15. greatsave9

greatsave9 Well-Known Member

16. Saddleup

Saddleup Huge Member

I suppose a congratulations is in order for GM for creating such a bland and mediocre automobile. Reminds me of a Civic.

17. Deadmeat

Deadmeat Beware of 4 Doors...

I think it looks kinda like a small GTO(dont really like the gto so its still ugly)

18. Dutch

Dutch New Member

I think it looks nice except the wing. I also think there's room for it in the market. If Dodge could muscle its way in with the SRT-4, then Chevy can do it if the Cobalt is a good car. The stat sheet reflects adequate numbers to sell well, it depends on what the rest of the car is like.

19. Duke

Duke God

Ok, OK...many issues to address. First the Cobalty has the same 2.0L ECOTEC as the Saturn ION Redline. So expect the same performance. I have heard that the Ion handles better in corners than the SRT-4 (partially due to the SRT-4 power, but the lack of a good LSD on the Ion makes it horrible trying to go out of the corner). IMO, the Cobalt looks like a Civic/Cavilear. Not a fan of either but i will make an exception to the Type R and Mugen Civic, but we will never see them here...jerks. I for one think it's one of the better cars aimed at the sport-compact market, though i can't stand the SRT-4. Put on some 17 inch Volks and change the rear wing to be like an Integra Type R(small, simple, and it actually works!) and i will fling that thing around town.

I for one think the next Camero (though being unofficial pictures and the fact that if the pictures are right, the real production car will look simplified and be junk) looks good, but car companies need to stop going the retro/redesigned look. American companies need to look ahead insted of backwards. Having a 5.3 in a camero is pretty small comparable to the one before it. I mean the Z28 and the SS all had LS1 engines displacing 5.7 litres and 347 inches, so going lower is kind of a let-down.The whole thing about the SS being slower than the Z28 and having a smaller engine is BS. The whole point of the SS heritage was that they were the best of that model. I think the guy has it backwards, if not GM has lost all focus as a company...It will probably get a version of the 3.8 from the pontiac gran prixs, of it might be a new engine for the 6. Bet on a modified version of the vettes LS6 6.0 litre engine making it into the Z28/SS models...

As for hte Z06...There have been rumors of the car aving a modified steetable version the the racing C5-R's 7.0 427 motor making it's way into the Z06. I have heard it's being called the Blue devil or something along those lines.(something to do with the performance director's High School mascot...) That car should have about 500-600hp and pretty much burn up anything on the road.

I'm out.

20. RedPony

RedPony Well-Known Member

Yes, there are rumors of a Corvette supercar to compete with the Ford GT. The Z06 due out in 05 will be getting an engine named LS7 and I think it will be a 427 or something similar. The big daddy, currently codenamed Blue Devil, will be a sub 3000lbs car with a supercharged 427, estimated 600hp if I remember correctly.