Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2005 Mustang Coupe Specifications

Discussion in '2005-2010 V6 Mustang Tech' started by Desdenova10, Sep 24, 2004.

1. hitmankb

hitmankb King

With that being said, what are your thoughts on the 90deg 4.2 vs the 60deg 4.0 overall?

You said the early testing of the 4.0 5speed coupe, put it too close to the gt. were you talking about the 99-04 gt's or the 05 gt? Also, when you said it was too close, what exactly did you mean? Were you refering to 1/4 times or hp?

2. pete

pete I like Ford V6s...I own 4

05 GT and 05 V6 were very close in performance feel = how does the car feel when you nail it, punch it from a role etc... It doesn't use hard numbers.

3. hitmankb

hitmankb King

Oh I see, But Pete, what are your thoughts on the 90deg 4.2 vs the 60deg 4.0 overall?

4. bravo

bravo New Member

personaly i think the new v6 is gonna run the same quater mille times 17.1 16.9
    cuz it cant be faster than gt or what would be the reason to buy one , another is that the weight is up 200 pounds , that will slow things up a little, but i do know that the hore power is gonna go up like crazy when tuning it , i think the torque in this car would be less in time when you mod it (example) cai,exhoust chip,pully. about 220hp and 240pft and if you add more the torque would be less than hp

5. QuikStang01Lx

QuikStang01Lx DiscountMotorsports.net

IN MY OPINION:
    the new 4.0s will run slightly faster. low 15's- high 14s.
    It has more power, better gearing(rear and tranny) and a more efficient engine. The extra 200lbs is almost negligible witht the gearing/power.
    The 4.0 also has a much better power curve....torqe all the way to what? high 4k? the 99-04 max torqe is at ~2200 or something.

6. Desdenova10

Desdenova10 Well-Known Member

aha finally! yeah i just had NO IDEA what it meant to be maxed out. Hmm i wonder if this means, if i have a 3.8-> 4.2 vs the new 4.0, i would probably have more potential?

7. Justang

Justang ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ-ɹǝdns

what background in Ford do you have to say it'll run those times? or is this just speculation?

8. QuikStang01Lx

common auto knowledge ;)
    if you take it all into account, its blantently apparent

9. Justang

Justang ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ-ɹǝdns

well, lets try to keep the speculation to a minimum. I've seen many people in there stating their opinion as truth.

10. QuikStang01Lx

you got it :thumbup:

editing now........

11. CougarStang

CougarStang I do my own stunts

Don't forget, Pete works for Ford

12. Justang

Justang ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ-ɹǝdns

I'm aware of Pete and his knowledge. That's why I trust what he says. But others are stating their opinions as fact. Which doesn't make the site look good as a whole.

;)

13. Saddleup

Saddleup Huge Member

Maybe. But I think we all know that regardless of how fast a V6 is, especially one sitting between the fenders of a Mustang, nobody cares. People want a V8. People who buy Mustangs will want the V8 regardless of whats up with the 6. Thats just the way it is. You see it all the time. "You made a 6 fast. What a waste." How fast that 6 is doesnt matter to the close minded people that buy the GTs. 2 extra cylinders mean everything to some people. Even people that are satisfied with their 6s like me still think in the back of their minds... what if I had 2 more cylinders....

Even if the power difference is 10-15 HP people would still buy the GT. You go shopping for a new car and you will see optional engines that are like that. Mazda wants you to spend all kinds of $$$ for a 4 cylinder thats .3 liters bigger than their base on the 3. Power difference? 12 HP. 15 TQ. Big deal. And yet people still waste their money on an S. Maybe sales would be less if the power gap with the GT narrowed by 50-75% but you can be sure they would never stop building the GT.

14. Justang

Justang ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ-ɹǝdns

For the enthusiasts the GT is what they want. But for the middleaged lady who wants a fast car, won't really care. So if the V6 is cheaper she'll buy it. It's all Marketing.

anywho... here's a 05 GT burnout:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/images/2005Mustang.wmv

15. Saddleup

Saddleup Huge Member

Nice. Too bad Camarobirds have been putting shows like that for what 10 years now? But thats another issue, thats been discussed on these forums many a time I am certain. :crazy:

16. hitmankb

hitmankb King

that thing sounds like a dust buster.

17. bravo

bravo New Member

i read on a mustang entuthiast mag that the 3.8 is better on performance and that the 4.0 was more on the emmisions side .

18. cobra232

cobra232 New Member

1 year is their plan for the 4.0. the mustang has been a OHC car since 96 except for the base model. now buyers can have a OHC engine in the base model also. the 3.5 while smaller will replace the 4.0 in 2006. the DOHC 3.5 will make about 240hp in the base stang, which will still be behind the competition but better than the 4.0 it will replace. which the 3.5 will replace the 4.0 in the explorer and the 4.2 in the freestar also. ford plans to have a "universal" engine to fit most needs of most of their line like the 3800 does for GM (which they have been trying to replace for 15 years unsucessfully)

maxed out is just that. the block cannot handle anymore cubes than it already has. it was developed from the German ford V4 which developed into the 2600 capri and 2800 pinto "cologne" engine. it is not the strongest design and not the best to build power.

the Essex family was based off of the Buick stage1. not too many engines can claim a stronger block than the buick. the ford is equal to the stage 1 buick in strength.

the 4.0 is a great engine but in stock form. it is reliable and very impressive in the explorer. it revs freely but is alittle noisey in the valvetrain for my tastes, but nontheless a good factory engine. that doesn't mean it is good for modding. the block is small, but has a good sized bottom end. the big bottom doesn't help if the block is too small to handle it.

a bare 4.0 block can be picked up with 1 hand. try that with a 3.8. yes the 60 degree is smoother because it acts like an inline 6 with a single throw crank acting like 6 single cylinder engines working together and balance is at the correct angles compared the the 90. the 90 however has better block strength and intake manifold potential which means better modding capabilities.

the 90 degree design is a strong one and Detroit diesel has proved that point with the 6V92 being used in 50,000+ lb trucks successfully

the 4.0 is a good base engine but with no aftermarket potential

19. Justang

Justang ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ-ɹǝdns

while your post about the 3.5L was entertaining... I'm still going to go with what Pete said about the 4.0 being around for a while. Seeing as how Pete would know these types of things. ;)

c'mon people... lets stop spouting off with things you think you know... or things you want to happen.

and if you look a couple posts up:

20. nikko

nikko Admin Emeritus Off Topic Moderator

IMO the 3.5 will be too expensive to keep the base price under $20k. It won't happen.

That and a 240hp V6 just isn't gonna fly. Ford would be complete fools to give the V6 mustang that level of performance.