Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2010 turbo question for people who know

Discussion in '2005-2010 V6 Mustang Tech' started by Armyofechoes, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Armyofechoes

Armyofechoes Active Member

Just curious on a couple things, I am going to run a single turbo setup, and was curious if I was going to need to run my maf sensor before turbo or where I would out it? I plan on running this list of things.

Attached Files:

2. JTsStang

JTsStang Boosted V6

I'd run it blow through style after the turbo. Depends on your tuner and what they prefer really. I would stick with the 3" 75mm maf housing like vmptuning sell.Keep the piping the same 3" from turbo to ic and is to tb to minimize turbulence.

3. Armyofechoes

Awesome I appreciate it and found the one you are talking about, I plan to run a gt500 slot style maf so that would be perfect. So would I go turbo to intercooler, bov and then maf on the straight section before the tb? I think I read somewhere to go that route that way it can meter the air and if it's before the bov, it wouldn't be right if it was to let any out?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  4. Phil II

Phil II Cone Destroyer Staff Member

Yes, that's generally the right sequence. You may want to read into BOV and bypass valve options, and how well either respond as function of where they are in the system.

Its important to keep the tubing straight on both ends of the MAF sensor. Rule of thumb is a length at least twice the diameter of the tubing on both ends to the next turn or component. I chose to have a friend weld on a flange to my tubing instead of using a separate housing for my CAI. That eliminated two soft joints and is really clean.

What are the limitations of your stock MAF? As you're discussing a S197 the base MAF may be same as GT, etc, and already sufficient.

5. Armyofechoes

Do you have any pics of that? And not sure what the limitations of it are I will have to check into it. I mean if I can save a little then that's awesome also. I just don't see the point of spending the 6k on the only kit I've seen for the 4.0.

Also the bov I am going to buy has a nipple on it, assuming it's for a vacuum source, any idea where I should run that to?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  6. Phil II

Phil II Cone Destroyer Staff Member

The nipple should be connected to the intake manifold, and the line and connections should be suitable for handling boost pressure.

7. 6 Shooter

6 Shooter Well-Known Member

Giving a second opinion here. The easiest to tune would be 3" intake tubing from the intercooler all the way to the throttle body. Any changes in tubing size will generate air reverberation back and forth making it hell to tune down low. Second, I agree with Phil II and currently use a weld in flange. Just be careful. The 05 slot style MAFs have a flow direction. it is possible to weld it in backwards which would be more than real trouble. Another thing, it is easy to get the flange a little cockeyed when welding on the intake tube, so tack it once and then check for straight alignment with the tube. IMHO, the best location for the MAF is post turbo and post BOV. And, it is best to locate and clock the MAF purposefully. So, ideally, the MAF should be located in a straight section of piping before the Throttle Body with about 6" of straight before and after the MAF. As for clocking, think of a river going around a bend. The water flow hugs the outside of the curve. The inside of the curve has eddies and turbulence. Same with air. So, it is best to clock the MAF to where the MAF port hole is aimed to get the greatest smooth airflow after the last bend in your intake tubes just before the MAF location.

8. Armyofechoes

Great info thank you. What would be the best and or easiest way to clock the maf?

9. 6 Shooter

Look at the last bend in your intake tube JUST before the MAF. Weld the flange on the outside of that last curve would be preferred.

10. Armyofechoes

Ok, so if I put it in this location I would want it to be on the side pointing to the pass shock tower? Assuming I use the same bend afterm the fmic

Attached Files:

11. 6 Shooter

According to your photo, I would put it on the opposite side. Your photo shows the inside of the last bend before the MAF. That area is where the most turbulence is. On the opposite side (the outside of the curve), the air is smooth, strong, and consistent coming off of the last bend before the MAF.

Looking at the photo, looks like you have a U-bend in your inlet tube (the air stream is doing a 180 degree turn) after the 45 degree bend coming off of the intercooler.

Armyofechoes likes this.
  12. Armyofechoes

Curious if running a turbo with .70 ar compressor would be a bad idea vs running the .60? I can't seem to figure that one out the turbo is the last thing I need for my kit before I begin

13. JTsStang

JTsStang Boosted V6

The compressor ar doesn't matter that much. The turbine ar is what matters most. What turbo you looking at, what power you trying to make?

14. Armyofechoes

Not dead set on which brand, but looking at some .70 comp, .63 turbine, 56 trim. Maybe the garrett, really the last thing I need before I can fab it all up.

Also just looking to get around 350rwhp

15. JTsStang

JTsStang Boosted V6

56 trim is small. Although just about any turbo will make that power. I would go with a gt35 variant. 6176 would rip on a 4l engine. Or even a 60-1 with p-trim turbine. Nothing wrong with going cheap with an ebay turbo until you figure what you really want.

16. Armyofechoes

What trim level would you recommend? And yeah I've seen some good stuff on the on3performance turbos.

17. JTsStang

JTsStang Boosted V6

The on 3 70mm would work but it's big for 350rwhp. Actually think they sell a 61mm turbo for a twin kit on the coyotes. I think a gt35 variant with p-trim turbine would work the best. Precision sell a 6176 which is the gt35r wheel with a clipped p-trim turbine.

18. Armyofechoes

They have the 61mm one for like $360, with the 56 trim. Was thinking of that one to start and eventually upgrade if I want more, which I'm sure I will eventually, but at the price kinda seems like why not, plus piecing a kit together is so much cheaper then a kit,only one I've founder they wanted like 6k, and doesn't include install and tune

19. Armyofechoes

Hey guys, getting ready and close to install, curious where you guys mounted the oil return and how you ran the oil feed lines?

20. 20Mustang05

20Mustang05 New Member

Hey man once you install it if you could share some pictures with me of the install id greatly appreciate it, looking to turbo mine by next summer!