Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2011 Mustang 3.7L V6 - Axle-Back Exhaust Install

Discussion in '2011-2014 V6 Mustang Tech' started by yodman, Nov 14, 2010.

1. yodman

yodman Switching it up

Here's a little how-to on installing an axle-back exhaust system to your 2011 Mustang V6. In my case, this is a CORSA Sport system, Part #14319.

Here's before the install:

View attachment 147698
    View attachment 147700

My Kit Included:
    -Passenger Side Muffler
    -Driver Side Muffler
    -60mm Clamps
    -New Clamp Nut & Bolt Combos
    -Anti-Seize for Bolt Combos

Tools I needed:
    -13mm (swivel or straight), 15mm, and 18mm Sockets
    -3" or similar Extension
    -Torque Wrench
    -Some sort of exhaust hangar removal tool, in my case, adjustable squeeze pliers
    -Another human, or a one-arm

View attachment 147694

First, Removal of Stock Mufflers:

1. Using the 15mm, remove the two bolts holding up the Panhard bar on the driver's side of the car. It will not drop.

2. Loosen the 18mm nut on the passenger's end of the bar, but do not undo completely. It's easy to identify by the threads of the bolt on the other side coming through it.
    -The bar will come down on the driver's side upon loosening this nut. This is purely to make your life much easier removing and installing the driver's muffler.

3. Using the swivel or straight 13mm socket, undo your clamp bolt behind the axle at the top of the muffler pipe. Remove bolt and nut combo from clamp.
    -I found it best to pry the clamp apart with my hands since it is welded to the muffler downpipe.

4. Dislodge the muffler from the over-axle pipe.

5. Use your squeeze pliers or preferred implement of deconstruction to remove the rear rubber hangar, without damaging it of course.

6. Use your spare human or one-arm to push up on the over axle pipe while you grab your stock muffler and pull towards the front of the car to remove the remaining upper hangars. They do weigh a few pounds!
    -Be careful not to pinch you or your compadre's fingers anywhere!

7. Repeat steps 3-6 with the passenger side muffler.

At this point, your car looks like this:

Driver's side:
    View attachment 147699

Passenger's side:
    View attachment 147702

-You can see the over-axle pipe next to the frame rail on the inboard side.

(I know there is a temptation to start the car and drive it like this, but believe me, from experience, it's RIDICULOUSLY LOUD! You will more than likely be pulled over for noise. Not to mention the over-axle pipe notoriously rattling on top of the Panhard bar.)

This is how it sounds with no mufflers:

Here's a stock-to-Corsa muffler comparioson:

View attachment 147697

They have 3.5" tips:

View attachment 147706

-Remember, if they have film on the tips, make sure to take it off before starting the car. You'll probably choke it out or melt the stuff to your shiny tips. You don't want that.

Anyways, back to bacon & beans here.

8. Using your spare person or one-arm, have them hold up the over-axle pipe again as you insert your new driver's side muffler's upper hangars into position.
    -No pinching! There are plenty of pinch and scrape points.

9. Seat the over-axle pipe into the muffler downpipe.

10. Reattach your rear hangar.

11. Use the anti-seize to lightly coat the threads of the new Bolt & Nut combos.
    -You have new bolts for a reason, even though they are the same as the old ones you removed. Just use them.

12. Using your 60mm clamp, position it over the coupling of the over-axle pipe and muffler downpipe. Insert your bolt combo and position the assembly so as to make it easy to access if removal is required.
    -You may need to squeeze the clamp closed somewhat to make it easier to insert your bolt combo and start threading it through the upper nut.

13. Tighten the bolt to be snug, and then torque to 45 ft-lbs. That was the number per my instructions, and my bet would be it is a universal number for these clamps.
    -It is hard to get a torque wrench in this space. With an extension, it can be done.

14. Position your tip as you desire. I went for an even spacing between the left and right edges of the opening, as per this image:

View attachment 147701

15. Repeat steps 8-14 for your passenger's side muffler.

16. Push up and reattach your Panhard bar with the two (2) 15mm bolts on the driver's side.

17. Re-tighten the 18mm nut on the passenger's side of the car. Hand tight is fine.

At this point, I removed my tip film, and my car looked like this:

View attachment 147696
    View attachment 147703

Driver's Side:

View attachment 147695

Passenger's Side:

View attachment 147704

On the ground:

View attachment 147691
    View attachment 147692
    View attachment 147693
    View attachment 147705
    View attachment 147707

How it sounds:

My car:

Corsa's test car:

That pretty much is it. Any questions? Shoot me a PM on the boards. I know I didn't have pictures of everything, and I wished I had.

You'll have to wait until spring to hear an in-car and drive-by video!

~Cody (yodman)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2014
  2. nikko

nikko Admin Emeritus Off Topic Moderator

Thanks for this awesome write up. I've attached your images to the post (instead of linking them from photobucket) and put the youtube clips in [video] tags. Our first article for the front page!

3. Stangin&Bangin

Stangin&Bangin Feels good man

I don't think i've ever seen nick this excited :lol:

4. yodman

yodman Switching it up

I totally agree with you, though he and I have never talked really before now. Lol.

5. Adamd

Adamd Sweet!

I do want!

I can't wait until I can do this to my car!

6. yodman

yodman Switching it up

Which exhaust are you thinking, Adam? I now know from personal experience that a video does no justice to what you actually hear. No matter how good.

7. Makoto

Makoto Just a guy

awesome car! i'll be ordering mine in the next few months. i wanted the gray but prolly wont be able to order it before they close the door on the 2011 model run. is the kona blue hard to take care of? i LOVE the color but since i live in an apartment caring for a car properly is difficult. does it show scratches easily?

8. mysteed

mysteed is back!

VERY nice writeup Cody. :thumbup:

9. yodman

yodman Switching it up

Kona is such a pretty color in the sun. I can't lie, and I know that's why so many people get them in this color. It does show scratches pretty easily, yes. I can't lie there either.

Thank you, kind sir. So, when will I be able to order an M112 kit for my 3.7? HAHAHA! I'm sure there will be an X-Charger option, which will cost a pretty penny. Turbo it is, then.

I like your new Cobra, BTW. Good work you've been doing on her.

10. Adamd

Adamd Sweet!

Lets be honest does any color really hide damage lol.

Only color that seems to hide at least the Wisconsin weather the best is white. My old 2000 mustang would be very dirty and you could tell when washing it but from a distance that dirty film was kind of hard to notice and could not notice that salt build up as much either lol.

However now I switched to the 2011 Race Red and it sure cleans up very nice but it does show the dirt a lot quicker then at least darker colors.

11. Adamd

Adamd Sweet!

That's a good question. I have not researched enough to make a decision since I am kind of just waiting until maybe after winter now. I have to first see how this car does in Winter even with good snow tires on. Honestly I don't really want to invest money into my car yet until I know I can make it past at least the first Winter ;)

12. usaf2008

usaf2008 will modding ever stop?

Excellent write up man! I've got to ask though, how did you like the sound of the exhaust with no mufflers? I think I'm gonna go with bassani aft-back exhaust but in the meantime wouldn't mind experimenting with no mufflers. And trust me there's no such thing as to loud, lol.

13. yodman

yodman Switching it up

When I say loud, I mean freaking loud. It's a great sound inside and out without mufflers, but I wouldn't run it like that forever. As a sidenote, you also want to use some sort of spacer to block the exhaust on top of the cross brace so you can coat hangar it up. Just so tension stays on it.