Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2011 V6 - tuning and 1/4 mile?

Discussion in '2011-2014 V6 Mustang Tech' started by KoralMKP, Jan 25, 2011.

1. KoralMKP

KoralMKP New Member

Hello
    I have a 2011 Mustang 3.7 V6 and thought about its tuning, because I'm a fan of racing on the 1/4mile .
    Please don’t suggest me to buy a V8, this topic refers only to the V6 and its tuning capabilities.
    I wonder what are the possibilities of the engine 3.7 V6. Previously I had a 4.6 V8 GT with the Saleen’s supercharger on Stage 4 upgraded to 580 HP, even if this 4.6 V8 engine doesn’t have forged pistons ..
    2011 3.7 V6 engine is much lighter with these forged cranks and pistons, so my question is whether power can also be increased to around 500 - 550HP(450-470rwhp)?
    My second question is: what is more reasonable to choose: a supercharger or nitro or even supercharger + nitro?
    Please notice that cost is a quite important factor for me. Otherwise I would of bought myself a Shelby GT500.
    Supercharger loads the engine and increases the weight on the front of the car, but the increase of the power is stable and same from the beginning where Nitro isn’t increasing weight on the front, but provides engine with the sudden shock at about 4500rpm. Can be that destructive for the engine? Some Nitro kits are also with the progressive gain of power, where the dose of nitro is increased in the next few seconds, that is, the engine suddenly gets not 100 or even 200 HP impact on the pistons, but the power is gradually being raised. Is such a set a better solution?
    And my 3rd question is: How efficient is the new fuel pump in 2011 V6 model? How is the fuel system designed? Does it have a return of the fuel? How can I improve the performance of the pump? Are there any better/simpler ways or BAP is still the best solution?
    maybe procharger (procharger.com/supercharger/blog/?p=210) + Nitro direct port shot 75-90HP ?
    Thank you in advance for your answers, especially the experts.

2. nikko

nikko Admin Emeritus Off Topic Moderator

There is a video on the front page of the site of a '11 V6 running low 13s with minor modifications and a tune. It seems the 3.7 responds pretty well to ECU modifications.

I haven't seen a '11 with nitrous yet. Would be an interesting experiment.

3. JpL4K3

JpL4K3 Moderator

Procharger is claiming 475whp with their test kits for the 2011.

4. silver6stang02

silver6stang02 Keepin' it real

What he said ^

Also.....As far as I know, they are still using hypereutectic (sp?) pistons in the 3.7 :(
    the Pro-charger kit he is referring to is I believe an 8psi kit making 475(crank?) hp
    Turn up the wick to no more than 11psi I'd say.....probably may want to consider new pistons if you wanna go higher than that (IF they are still using Hyper Pistons)
    if 8 psi is making 475 crank.....i'd say 11 should get ya that at the wheels or more.

You have a GREAT platform to start with, and I can assure you.....this being 3.7mustang.com....no one is going to suggest you get a v8 :p

Good luck man!

5. silver6stang02

silver6stang02 Keepin' it real

Oh, also......I'd stay away from compound boost with the 3.7, just to stay on the safe side anyway. Nitrous+Supercharger on a stock engine usually=BOOM....lol