Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2012 Premium controls and stereo to 2012 standard

Discussion in '2011-2014 V6 Mustang Tech' started by BK98, Feb 26, 2016.

1. BK98

BK98 New Member

Hey everyone, new to the forum thing, but know there are most of you more knowledgeable on mustangs than I am. My wife and I love them and are just getting into a 2012 project. We bought 2 salvage cars and are going to build one nice 3.7 manual for her, she fell in love with the interior options on the parts car and wants me to swap, steering wheel, gauges, stereo sync, and shakr system to the standard I am rebuilding. How much is involved in this, or is alot of it plug and play. Any and all advice is appreciated, thank you.

2. Phil II

Phil II Cone Destroyer Staff Member

That is an impressive undertaking.

I know that in the earlier generation mustang Ford kept most components largely interchangeable. But the wiring side may be quite complex.

Did you consider any aftermarket options?

3. BK98

BK98 New Member

I haven't, just due to buying the second mustang and having everything I need to rebuild the first already, the premium interior would of been a bonus at no additional cost, if interchangeable

4. Phil II

So you already have the premium stuff in a donor car?

5. BK98

BK98 New Member

Yes, purchased a second 2012 stang, running complete,with rearend damage, am going to take front clip off of it to put on my other 12', and part out the rest.

6. Lemac

Lemac New Member

Its possible and in your case you have all the parts necessary for the swap. I've seen people do the gauge cluster swap, but they either had the tool and software to program it or had the dealer do it. Car will not start with another cluster in its place without being programmed. I don't know of anyone who swapped all the shaker 500 and sync stuff over, but that info is floating out there somewhere.

7. BK98

BK98 New Member

Thanks, I'll keep searching for it

8. Lemac

Lemac New Member

I don't know, and I'm wondering myself if you can just swap the whole dash and harness over from the premium to the base and use the keys from the premium after the swap without having to program them.

9. BK98

BK98 New Member

When you say harness, sorry I haven't been into the dash yet, but is there multiple wiring harnesses on the car, or one throughout the entire car, the reason I ask is the amplifier for the premium has connectors I didn't see on my standard, was hoping Ford used the same harnesses for every model, and capped any connectors not used?

10. Lemac

Lemac New Member

Idk if they are the same or not. I was interested in the same swap as you as i also have a base mustang but had a 2011 premium prior to it and loved the sync and the subs that came with it. I did however buy a bluetooth adapter that plugs in the aux jack and it works pretty good. I also added a aftermarket amp and a single 10" sub to tie it all together. I do still want the door panels and leather seats though. so easy to clean, and makes interior feel just a bit better.

11. BK98

BK98 New Member

What exactly is sync, what benefits does it offer, does anyone know what all is included in a shakr system is it just an amp, and door subs, but still uses same head unit and changer as the standard, so maybe I wouldn't have to swap these over

12. Lemac

Lemac New Member

"There is a lot to SYNC besides the radio head ('ACM' in engineerspeak). There's an actual module (black box) that lives above your glovebox that's the real 'brains' of SYNC, a GPS module (used for the free turn-by-turn directions, traffic, and such) that's above that, just below the surface of your dash near the windshield, a microphone in the rearview mirror, steering wheel controls, USB port and Line-In jack in your center console, and bluetooth antenna. Not to mention all the wiring harnesses that need to be installed at build-time to connect it all together, as well as to your car's CAN bus (internal network), with modulation, so things like 911 Assist, Vehicle Health Report, and certain parts of Traffic, Directions, and Information can work."

above is a quote from another forum.

I've never done one, but it is possible just dont know the in and outs of the interior wiring and such

13. Lemac

Lemac New Member

above is for nav, so you wouldnt need the gps module, but all the rest is pretty much the same.

14. BK98

BK98 New Member

Thank you, my plan is to strip the front end and get the new radiator core support in this week, swap everything over and make sure all is good, starting, running etc,mechanical, then dig into dash interior, stereo, steering wheel , swap, this way I know all is good before tampering with electronics

15. Phil II

While you're in there, you may want to address the transmission fluid. Feyd recently changed the fluid to the motorcraft dual clutch stuff. Some details can be found here.

16. 13v6

13v6 Member

Here are some notes I have from someone on another forum. This is ALL I have and I hope you can make some sense of it and good luck.

17. BK98

BK98 New Member

Thanks, that definitely gives me hope