Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2013 convertible 3.7 automatic gears

Discussion in '2011-2014 V6 Mustang Tech' started by cdenigris, Apr 20, 2019.

1. cdenigris

cdenigris New Member

Hey guys,

I have a 2013 3.7L v6 automatic Convertible. I have had this car for about 4 years and I have 95k on it now. The car has the stock 2.73 rear gears on it. The car has always been incredibly slow to get up to speed, and when I bought it I didn't understand much. In other words bad acceleration. I have done numerous things to try to correct this over the years...

- I have an aftermarket cold air intake.
    - I have a pedal commander to improve the throttle body response
    - and I have a Bama tune from American Muscle.

None of these things have really improved the acceleration on this car and after reading, people say that I should swap out my rear end gears.

So I have some questions. I called some places and they recommended that I put in the 3.73gears to make the car more fun without gas mileage taking a big hit.

1) How much will this affect my gas mileage? I'm getting about 20mpg combined driving around Long Island NY with the stock 2.73gears.

2) Will my car get less traction if I do this. As this is my daily driver it still needs to have traction in rain and snow.

3) Will it make the car accelerate smoother then the 2.73 gears or will it be jerky as if there is less throttle delay?

I made an appointment to do the gears on Friday the 26th. I really want to know if I'm doing the right thing before I go through with it. Please give me some feedback on this.

Thanks all! Looking forward to your responses.

2. David Young

David Young 5th Mustang

Ha! I just answered on your Thread on another Forum :). Do it, you'll love them :)

3. 08'MustangDude

08'MustangDude Profile Violation

I did as well, but earlier...

4. cdenigris

cdenigris New Member

Thanks, guys I'm learning toward the 3.55 ratio though because I am not upgrading the tire sizes or driveshaft. I'm also not looking to drive faster than 100mph. I just want my mustang to be as peppy as the honda civics driving next to me on the road and not get passed by a half a mile every time a light goes green lol. After reading it seems that the 3.73 can go through the gears a little too fast as the 2.73 I have go through them too slow. I just need a good balance. But again without test driving, this is all a guess game for me.

5. David Young

David Young 5th Mustang

If you do a lot of interstate driving, then 3.55 would be a good gear for you. If not, the people telling you the 3.73 gear makes 1st gear useless don't have 3.73 gears. My automatic with 3.73's shifts nice and smooth. Yesterday, I tried to see what mph mine does in 1st gear before it shifts into 2nd gear. All I can say it is over 30mph, it happens so fast :). I usually break traction for a little while when it shifts into 2nd gear, it did yesterday and the speedometer went to around 47mph. I have read 'more' people saying they wish they had gone with 3.73 instead of their 3.55 gears than reading about people who had gone with 3.73, wishing they had gone with 3.55 gears.

Your gas mileage should be better than you are getting. Something else is going on with your motor. Have you cleaned your 'throttle body' lately or changed your spark plugs ?

cdenigris likes this.
  6. cdenigris

cdenigris New Member

Hey thanks for your feedback . Yes I did have my spark plugs replaced and throttle body cleaned recently. I really think the poor mileage is just the stop and go of Long Island. The other night with no traffic coming back from Manhattan it went up to 22mpg lol.

You say that your 3.73 lose traction? That's what worries me about those gears. I've been playing around with a pedal commander for a whilewhile makes the throttle body more sensitive and I don't want the car to be too jerky or lose traction if I'm too heavy on the gas. I use this car in all weather. Is it that much of an issue for you?

David Young likes this.
  7. David Young

David Young 5th Mustang

You just have to go easy on the gas pedal, you'll get use to it. It will feel 'normal' after a while. I let my sister drive my Mustang last year, she has a Kia or something like that. As she was pulling out on the highway she turned to me and said, I'm going to take it easy. She spun the tires for a few feet and yelled, WOW!!! :) She told me your gas pedal is more sensitive than mine, I told her I just have a lot more power :)

8. cdenigris

cdenigris New Member

Alright so I got the 3.55 gears put in yesterday guys and I loaded the BAMA tune that I called American Muscle to make up for me. My initial thoughts are.... MEGA DISAPPOINTMENT. The car slightly has better acceleration but its so minimal that it seems this wasn't worth all the money I just laid out. I mean every other modern car accelerates from a red light smoothly and quickly too, and they aren't supposed to have the power my mustang has. I've driven rental cars that are Fords Focus's and quicker then the stang to get going lol. I'm hoping that its because this tune just sucks and that I can correct this with a proper tune. The acceleration is barely noticeable until I get up in speed. It's slightly smoother through first gear in traffic and parkinglots but after that it's still that jerky feeling the 2.73's always had. I really have to hit the gas to get the RPMs to go up on a short distance quick acceleration which is only something I would do hard if I need to do an emergency merge, which I did once today. I only drove around town today. Lots of in and out of the car at stores so I got roughly 14mpg which is pretty bad but I'm sure that will go up when I do real combined driving all week.

I thought once I did this I would get rid of the pedal commander too for the throttle body response sensitivity but right now it seems that I may need to keep that.

With all that being said it seems the install itself went well and the car is acting normal. No additional noise or anything, this is just a performance thing for me.

The tune could be an issue. I will look into it this week but any other recommendations. Is it me?

9. David Young

David Young 5th Mustang

MPT is what most of us v6'ers have. It very well could be something going bad on your motor. Maybe a sensor or something, not yet throwing a CEL code :(

10. cdenigris

cdenigris New Member

Any ideas on which sensors I should check/replace?

11. David Young

David Young 5th Mustang

No. Not until it throws a code. No need to waste money until what ever is causing your motor to run bad, goes bad :(. My first thought was sparkplugs and a dirty throttle body, but you've already done those :(. Going from 2.73 to 3.55 gears should have been a 'world' of difference, in a good way. When I went from 3.31 to 3.73 the improvement was huge :).