Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2013 Rear Gears

Discussion in '2011-2014 V6 Mustang Tech' started by barrygran, Feb 9, 2014.

1. barrygran

barrygran Red Ryder

Installed Headers, CAI, Throttle Body, H pipe with free flow Cats, Roush Exhaust and now a set of gears. Any suggestions? I was thinking of 3.73 or 3.9's. I have 2.73's now and it still runs really quick.

2. Phil II

Phil II Cone Destroyer Staff Member

Manual or automatic transmission?

I've read various 11'-14' projects on svtperformance.com. It seems that the 3.31 ratio works really well all around. The more track oriented guys were choosing the 3.73 ratio. In my own experience, the 331 ratio is very flexible, and its nice knowing that 50 mph is reachable in first gear on my setup.

3. barrygran

barrygran Red Ryder

Thanks I don't too much highway so the RPM's won't bother me. 2nd thru 60 would be OK. Looking for low 5's or upper 4's.

4. 13Ford

13Ford New Member

I've decided on 3.73s for my car. I debated for many months on this, 331,355,373 or 410s. I was leaning towards 4.10s at first, but I have read that these mt-82s would make 1st gear almost useless. I think any of the other choices would also be a welcome change to those factory 2.73s.

5. 13Ford

13Ford New Member

How do you like the Roush?

6. barrygran

barrygran Red Ryder

Noisy and bad drone. Get it out of the 1500 to 1800 rpm range helps with the drone. I think the 3.73's will help with the drone. If I
    Use my H pipe with the Roush I can't stand it. Going to thy H pipe and stock mufflers. I' post

Red Ryder

7. Duggie

Duggie Duggie

I have 14 with CAI, 73 mm BBK TB, Magna Flows, 3.73 Ford Racing Gears ( very quite ), Great all round gears for track and street mileage did drop down to 26mpg on Hwy at 70mph 22-24 mpg at 75 mph 16- 18 mpg street but that's putting your foot into it at times. Stock tires spinning first and second at track 14.0 100.3 mph 1/4

audioAl and barrygran like this.
  8. 13Ford

13Ford New Member

I have a 13 with Roush and I have a set of bbk shorties going on when my ride comes out of hibernation. I love the Roush but only with the stock mid pipe, I was originally planning LTs with a catted or off road x but it sounds really bad, tons of rasp and just loud.....too loud. There is a guy on YouTube that went with LTS and a off road x with his Roush and then his stock Axel backs and it sounded way better.

9. barrygran

barrygran Red Ryder

I have headers installed and that may add to the tone. I'll be finding out soon enough, also roush just be louder.

10. Duggie

Duggie Duggie

If this is something you may be looking for if your pipes are too loud, With the Magna Flow Axel Backs when taking a long trip or ride they at quite enough in the car where you can talk w/o talking loud or having to blast the radio . They have a deep sound and when you hit the gas you can really hear them, deep sound and no race burner sound when letting off the gas. On the street when taking off from a stop they sound deep when giving it a little gas. I have stock pipes going back to the axel backs and will be looking for a deeper sound NOT loud sound when adding short headers. Below you can hear the sound of my car at the track, the blue one inside lane racing a 13 White Stock GT . Hope this may help you as far as sound of the Magna Flows

11. 13Ford

13Ford New Member

The Roush are fine on the long trips, talking is fine and the radio is heard no problem. They only problem I would have had with them is if I decided to go LTS with a catted or off road x. Any exhaust set up needs balance to sound good IMO and any Axel back that have a straight through design like Roush, pypes etc sound terrible when LTS go on. Even with resonators it does help to clean up the sound but I'm still not a fan, so I went shorties for now. Btw your car looks awesome! I like loud set ups for my ride, are those magna flow streets? The shorties will help deepen the sound more also.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  12. barrygran

barrygran Red Ryder

I have a MRT H pipe with free flow cats. I'm hoping that with the headers and h pipe the stocks will be all I need. Time will tell. Thanks just a little more styling. Enjoy your ride.
    Red Ryder

13. Duggie

Duggie Duggie

Yes they are the stainless steel street magna flows. I'm thinking of getting shorties BBK Headers, did they make any noticeable HP and did you do the install or have a shop do them. Trying to find how long it takes to self install or the cost for shop install. Thanks for the complement on my car.

14. 13Ford

13Ford New Member

I'm actually snagged at the install, I need an air gun to remove the bolts from the xpipe to the manis. : (

15. Bigshow14

Bigshow14 Member

Do the install yourself if you have a place and tools to do it. I scoped this out on my car and all of the bolts seem easy to reach. You should be able to do the install in about 3-4 hours comfortably.

16. barrygran

barrygran Red Ryder

Remember if you install headers, you have to torque the bolts and in a pattern that you can find from a service/tech manual. I did mine and it took me awhile. I'm also 73. Had to remove batt box and couldn't use a torque wrench on all the nuts. Had to practice with a 1 foot wrench to get the feel for the torque required. Not to hard, just time taking.

Red Ryder

17. Duggie

Duggie Duggie

Thanks for the information. The headers you put on are they ceramic? I was at the shop I use to measure my rear Eibach Pro Coil Springs so I can air bags for them I asked them about the shorty Header and the H Pipe. He showed me that the stock exhaust already has the H Pipe . So I won't need to get one, as far as HP gain I was told that with the mods I have now I would notice any. So I looking forward to hear what you think about the HP gain but most of all if the sound is deeper. I don't know if the 13 exhaust is different than the 14 but mine did have the H Pipe unless you went to a bigger dia. These 3.7 sure are a lot of fun. Got my new Hybrid Tune loaded today. Wow big difference, much smoother and responsive.

18. 13Ford

13Ford New Member

I finally got one side of the xpipe off tonight. I ended up using a dremel to cut the 2 bolts from the stock Mani's to the xpipe. The bolts were very easy to remove from the Mani's to the block but Omg the xpipe bolts were a major pain in the ass! Ratchet with breaker bar, no luck, electric impact gun, no luck. I was starting to have my doubt's but the dremal came through. Btw my garage is pretty confining and that didn't help either! I'll post another update by Sunday with my results but I can say that the xpipe bolts seem to be my headache.

19. barrygran

barrygran Red Ryder

Mine are ceramic. From what I know 13 and 14's are the same. Now my cat pipe has something that looks a little like a X or maybe an H, but nothing like my "H" pipe from MRT. With the H installed and the Roush axle back system I couldn't stand the drone. My next experiment will be the H pipe and stock mufflers. Waiting for warmer weather.

20. barrygran

barrygran Red Ryder

I also have a BAMA 93 octane tune and I can break the stock tires loose at 30 just hitting passing gear. It feels quicker than my 09 GT/CS and it had a JLT CAI and Granatelli Throttle Body with a SCT tune. Enjoy your toy.