I have a 3.7L 2015 coupe with 7,000 miles and I'm looking to give it a little extra muscle. My initial mods are planned to be as follows:
While in Warranty:
When out of Warranty (30,000 miles or 2 years):
- Roush Cold Air Intake
- Bama Diablosport inTune i2 -- Anyone used these guys? I've heard very good things, but open to suggestions. I've been told you can flash the tune while getting service done and reset to factory. That way they don't know you've tuned it. Is this true?
- I don't see a performance reason to get an axel back exhaust. Unfortunately, a cat back exhaust voids the warranty (or so i've been told). Any arguments there?
- Any other suggestions for power gains that don't void the warranty?
I'm open to any suggestions, problems, etc that anyone sees here. Again, I'm wanting to maintain my warranty as this is my daily driver and will be for at least the next 2 years. With that said, I would love to create a "Z-Killer" sleeper. You can have your cake and eat it too, right?
- BBK Throttle body -- not sure if there is a benefit to the additional spiral spacer, but willing to consider it as well)
- Cat back Exhaust with H pipe (Open to suggestions here.
- BBK Long Tube Headers -- Willing to go short tube, but not sure the pros/cons
- Any other suggestions? I'm not looking to turbo the car, as I want to maintain as much reliability as possible.
Thanks for any help you're willing to provide!
2015 3.7L Initial Mods (Warranty Preserving) -- Need Feedback/Suggestions
- File size:
- 83.3 KB
First off, not sure why the person above said, "Tell me you got the manual transmission".
I can only guess he/she prefers a manual. But of course an auto is faster than a manual.
Cold air intake good for looks not much more unless you get the ones that require a tune.
Tunes leave a trace on the computer when removed. So if they want to look hard enough they could tell.
Nothing you do voids the warranty entirely. Warranty work would not be covered on any item that can be blamed on something you altered, added and/or removed. Of course CATs are not to be removed under any circumstances, by law. Nor replaced unless they malfunction.
Typically a CAT Back cannot be blamed for warranty problems. An axle back is commonly used on these 3.7 engines and pretty much for sound only.
The one item that would more commonly be blamed for causing problems is the Tune.
MPT is known to be one of the more popular ones as many feel it offers the most power gain. Also, typically uses the SCT tuner device.
The general consensus on a BBK Throttle body is no gain. Although some say yes.
H-pipe more for deepening sound a bit.
Long tube headers are good for a gain but require a tune may not pass inspection depending on your local laws and practices.
Short tube headers are typically legal and some are CARB approved. They are known to improve low end torque and deepen sound a bit.
I would suggest visiting mustangevolution.com for more help on these subjects. These subjects have been discussed to great lenghts.
Pretty much what Diehard said but... I don't know what warranty you have but I can only assume you were talking about what was left on your warranty. Basic Ford warranty is 3 yr/36,000 mi basic, 5 yr/60,000 mi powertrain so the powertrain (tune, gears, throttle body etc.) goes much longer. The biggest gains by far are a tune and lower gears. Also, like mentioned above, longtubes are good for higher speeds but shorties will give you more grunt in the low end, where most of us will feel it. Ported intake (upper and lower) will also add power. Get on Facebook and search for "Cyclone Mustangs" and join the tech and social clubs. Some guys there no everything about your car.