Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2015 Mustang Powertrains

Discussion in '2015 V6 Mustang' started by Red One 88, May 13, 2013.

1. Red One 88

Red One 88 Member

I met a guy a few weeks ago who said he was working on the next-gen Mustang. Aside from the styling cues coming from Ford's recent Evos concept (Ford Evos Concept Photos and Info – News – Car and Driver), he told me the powertrain lineup.

2.5-liter four-cylinder @300hp
    3.7-liter six-cylinder @305hp+ (but he did say there were talks of upping the power to somewhere near 400hp)
    5.0-liter eight-cylinder @475hp+

Has anybody heard anything else about this?

2. greensteeda

greensteeda Retired Speed Racer Mod. Suck It!

Seems odd they would have three completely different engine platforms.

3. nikko

nikko Admin Emeritus Off Topic Moderator

SVO :yup:

Sent from my Motorola StarTAC, a Cellular One flip phone using Tapatalk

4. Kuplex

Kuplex Retired Admin

I can't see them keeping the 3.7 and adding a four cylinder. I can, however, see them replacing the 3.7 with an Ecoboost4 making similar, if not more, horsepower. The 5.0 I see staying and getting direct injection (and maybe something like a Boss derived intake manifold) to boost the power.

5. greensteeda

That is also my guess on the most likely scenario.

6. Red One 88

Red One 88 Member

That's what I was thinking (and heard) as well, but this gentlemen was adamant about it. He also said it looked very European.

7. mac_mogul

mac_mogul Ned knows best.

I see it more likely that the 3.7 will carry over unchanged, the 5.0 will be massaged for more power, and a 2.0/2.3 ecoboost will fit in the middle as an option.

It fits Ford's recent history of engine hierarchy.

It also makes sense to have the smaller boosted engine as an option as both the current 2.0 and a new 2.3 will make more torque at lower RPMs than the 3.7 does. Put a tune on either of the ecoboost engines and you're exceeding 300 ft/lb torque easy.

I don't feel that the Mustang will see a turbo V6 at this time, but expect to see rumors of a twin turbo V8 in the Shelby.

8. greensteeda

I think it would be great to see a turbo on a Mustang again. And it would be a monster on the V8 platform (like 650hp isn't enough already)

9. gtsquid

gtsquid New Member

I think most rumors speculate we see a 2.3L as a base option engine. First I'm hearing of a 2.5L. Did the guy mention who he was or in what capacity he was working on the 2015?

10. silvernewedge

silvernewedge New Member

I think it's pretty much guaranteed that the next Mustang will get a 4 cylinder; although not necessarily for the U.S. market. Due to Europe's taxes on displacement, a 5.0L or even the 3.7L Stang would pretty much price itself out of its intended market over there. Would be sweet to see an SVO version here though.

Somehow I don't see Ford raising the 5.0L's hp all the way to 475 for the GT...even the C7 Vette's base V8 is "only" going to have 450 or so. I could see the 444 HP that the Boss had become the new number for the GT. Hopefully the new platform can shed a little weight, which I would be more excited to see over a HP increase. I also hope the automatics finally receive paddle shifters over the now-dated looking console shifters.

Would be cool to see a more Europeanized Mustang as well, on other forums I browse around on it seems like nearly everyone hates the idea, but the original Mustang was heavily inspired by European coupes from the time anyway. I just hope it doesn't end up appearing like a two-door Fusion.

11. mac_mogul

mac_mogul Ned knows best.

I have no problem with it looking like a Fusion or having a four cylinder. Bring it on. At this point, Ford is on such a roll that whatever they churn out is going to be an awesome car. I'm sure some people will be disappointed, but on the opposite side of the spectrum there are going to be people looking at the new Mustang who might have never considered a Mustang before.

12. silvernewedge

silvernewedge New Member

Fair enough; I mean really after a generation of retro Mustangs, they more or less need to do something to bring new customers in, even if it does upset the established market for these cars. Honestly I love the new Fusion and in some regards consider it even more attractive than the current Mustang, but I feel like being unique in Ford's lineup for a design standpoint has always been one of the Mustang's key features...I'd prefer to see them make a car that's just inspired by the Evos concept/Fusion rather than continue straight down that path again. Either way I think it will be a very exciting car.

13. RustyRodder

RustyRodder Dumbass. That's you.

if it looks like a fusion, it will either be compared to a fusion coupe, or an aston martin wanna-be. shitty.

14. neatofrito1618

neatofrito1618 ...

Why do you think Ford will suddently start marketing the Mustang to Europe?

15. Ortiz

Ortiz Sup

The 3.7 is an AMAZING engine. Hopefully it'll be the base platform and then bring the ecoboost 4 cylinder back as the SVO and have the 5.0 with the V8 just like the old days, only this time, more powerful with new technology.

16. silvernewedge

silvernewedge New Member

Ford has more or less said that it's going to be a global car starting with the upcoming generation. From a sales standpoint, they almost have to. It hasn't had sales over 100,000 since 2007.

17. nikko

nikko Admin Emeritus Off Topic Moderator

I found the fact that they said they are going to was the most convincing piece of evidence for me.

Sent from my Motorola StarTAC, a Cellular One flip phone using Tapatalk

AlexFraley likes this.
  18. KevinV6

KevinV6 gudday.

When the first news of the 2015 Mustang was published, months ago, they said it will be sold in Europe.

19. lizardbreath

lizardbreath New Member

I would love to see the ecoboost v6 in a mustang