1. Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

24v DOHC V6...

Discussion in '2005-2010 V6 Mustang Tech' started by WYLDHorses, Feb 22, 2005.

Social Buttons
  1. WYLDHorses

WYLDHorses New Member

...OK, long story short the 4.0L V6 is a descendent of the 2.8L V6 in the Mustang II, and prior to that the 2.6L V6 used in the Merkur Capri (German Ford). So what this means is that the Cologne V6 can do something pretty dang cool...you can swap DOHC 24v Cosworth designed heads and intake onto your 4.0L V6! To learn ALL about it (the engine, not the swap) go to:

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/24valve

Please check all the related 24v links (look for 24v, Cosworth, and 2.9L V6) to get all related info...they have fully documented rebuilds on this engine with TONS of color photos, there are manuals for sale, and it even tells you the model and years this engine was available. So with some hard work, a little cash outlay and the internet, YOUR high-tech V6 is just on the horizon. I'm looking forward to seeing the first DOHC 24v Cosworth 4.0L V6 on American soil.

Thanks for listening!
  2. DrewsStang

DrewsStang Work Hard. Play Hard.

"Altogether these changes raise the power from 195bhp to 206bhp at 6000rpm and torque is raised to 207 ft/lb at 4250rpm."

sounds like its definietly.... not worth it.
  3. Sanchez

Sanchez I CAN HEAR GOD

hahahaha
  4. jsheehan

jsheehan Legend Lime Man

Did you actually read the original post or the article he linked to? Looks more like you just skimmed it, and in an attempt to be witty made an uninformed reply. These numbers you quoted were for a 2.9 L engine that without the heads made 150bhp and 172 ft/lb of torque. Then, back in the 80s, the 24 V Cosworth heads brought the numbers up to 195bhp and 203 ft/lb of torque. It was changes to the Cosworth heads that brought the numbers up to 206bhp and 207 ft/lb of torque. Now, keep in mind this is for an engine with 2.9 L displacement. Imagine adding these heads to the 4.0 L V6 that makes 210 bhp and 240 ft/lb of torque with 12V SOHC heads. I can imagine some serious power gains with this.
  5. miwago

miwago Mechanic, 20+ years

1 word .. sweeeeet!
  6. drew_shipley

drew_shipley Bullitt #5023

Do it and dyno it. I'm sure the entire V6 stang community would love to see the results.
  7. Pinto Beast

Pinto Beast boom, outa' here

cosworth stuff is the shiznitt :cool:
  8. WYLDHorses

WYLDHorses New Member

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and consider the information. I was merely trying to let people know about potential modifications to this engine from Cologne V6 family sources. I imagine that a properly built 4.0L V6 with the Cosworth heads would be worth an easy 275 hp and 300 lb/ft torque. With a turbocharger (or 2) and an intercooler, I'm thinking 450 hp wouldn't be out of the question. One could "build" this engine using DynoSim software and find out the particulars BEFORE dedicating time, money and aggravation to a real-world build.

Thanks for taking the time to listen,
    WYLDHorses
  9. Red_Stang_02

Red_Stang_02 New Member

Interesting information. Thanks! I don't have one of the "new" Mustangs, but I had a '74 years ago that had a 2.8 V6 in it. By today's standards, it wasn't fast, but it could hold it's own against other V6's of that era. One thing I liked about it (and also our 3.8's) is that there is no timing belt to change or (yikes) break. In fact, that particular 2.8 did not have a chain, either. The gears messed directly with each other. Of course, the 4.0 is not set up like this, but it is interesting to see the evolution of different engines.
  10. TheStang00

TheStang00 New Member

damnit that really makes me want to have one lol.
  11. PhantomGT

PhantomGT New Member

:uhh: I was reading somewhere (in some press kit) that the current intension is in 2007/8 to scrap this 4.0 explorer engine and drop in a 3.0L Lincoln or Jaguar V6 24V, which it may be bored out to a 3.5L.
  12. SpeedKills

SpeedKills New Member

Lol, even if you CAN swap the coseworth heads on to 4.0L, actually swapping them won't do any good. The HP an engine makes is determined by flow capacity of the heads, camshaft timing and compression ratio. If you swap those 206hp heads on to 4.0 it will only give you 206 +/ - few hp for camshaft and compession change. Torque could possibly grow a little but you will loose ~10hp.
  13. goldenstang00

goldenstang00 Chebby Guy

how?.........more displacment. better flowing heads. comparable compression. i say cam work is all you need. you put those heads on the 4.0 v6 and like i said with some cam work you could tune up a very decent motor. :cool: :thumbup:

just like when we put 327 fuel injection heads on out carbed 350. we got at least 50-75hp just from that. we got that much because the heads originally on it really sucked. i think they were form a truck motor. lots of torque no hp. not good for drag racing. :disgust:
  14. drew_shipley

drew_shipley Bullitt #5023

I may be wrong, but I would think a 4v head would flow worlds better than a 2v head... and even more so if the 4v was ported. Take the 2v 4.6 vs the 4v 4.6., 4v rules :thumbup: I'd like to see one of our 05ers do this along with custom cams and a tune.
  15. TheStang00

TheStang00 New Member

speedkills = idiot... not only will they flow better... but u can stick another cam on there. think about it. just look at the SN95 v8's for an example, mustang gt= 260hp 2v sohc 4.6l. mustang mach1= 310hp 4v dohc 4.6l. only difference is the heads and dohc.
  16. JP O'Hara

JP O'Hara New Member

Hi guys,

I have been doing reasearch on the conversion for the past year and I am getting close to building a 4.0l with 2.9l cosworth 24v heads. There are two versions of the cosworths in Europe (BOA and BOB). after close examination the BoB seems to be the most likley canidate for the conversion. :thumbup:

As to strighten up the power gain confusion, you wont just gain a few ponies. People in europe have been punching these blocks out from 2.9 to 3.5l with a mild port job keeping them natural aspirated with the stock cams and seeing power in the 350 hp relm. :D There are even some who have modified their 2.9l greatly, with installing superchargers and nitrous oxide and have seen power in the excess of 620 hp. :eek: From the factory these heads flow more than what the 2.9l could use. When cosworth first developed the 24v motor, it's proto-type version developed 300 ponies and was detuned for the street with smaller cams in order to pass the 83' USA smog regulations.

I am currently working with someone in europe on the project, developing the camchain guides and midshaft for the motor. Once we have all the buggs worked out on CAD I'll move on to building it some time this summer. I hope I was helpfull to all.
  17. mybrainisawaffl

mybrainisawaffl New Member

I hope you'll keep us posted on this, I'm very interested in doing this as apposed to a turbo setup. I don't imagine this would bolt right on, though. How much work would one have to put into this?
  18. badazzstang

badazzstang Engine Swap Master

that would be a interesting swap with some great potential. :thumbup:
  19. Dutch

Dutch New Member

No, he's right, it's the flow capacity of the heads that matters, not the number of valves (but from what everyone else has said, the Cosworth heads likely flow much more than stock, making more power). The size of the valves is important, but you can easily flow just as much in a head with 2 big valves as 4 small ones as in the 4.6L DOHC.

The benefit of 4 valves and cams is that it allows you to have a better torque curve. A 2 valve engine set up to make, say, 300 HP at 6000 RPM will have a lot less bottom end than a 4 valve engine set up similarly. The reason for this is that the small valves keep intake velocity up, allowing more air/fuel into the engine at low speeds.
  20. goldenstang00

goldenstang00 Chebby Guy

exactly :D :thumbup:

which to get the new heads to work better and make alot more power is gonna require some cam work. i doubt the stock cams which will be set up for the smaller engine will make alot of power with just a bigger motor.

i say it will be an interesting swap. alot of power is capable yes. but do you have the time and the money for a mishap? i know there is alot of stuff to change out just when doing a PI headswap on 96-98. and both of them are sohc. you talking about switching from sohc to dohc.