275/40-17 on a 17x8 test run...update in post 15

tedness

Mellow Yellow
i've confirmed that the f-stock national champion in scca solo 2 last year ran a 275/40-17 on his 17x8 mach wheels.

also, one of my friends is running this on his as well, just never autocrossed it.

so with this, i'll test it out, but i plan to run lower psi in my tires and mark it off with chalk to see where i get flex.

02Silver3.8

mmmhmm
I know a 275 tire fits perfectly on 9" rims, so yeah, I'm thinking your not going to want to run that on 8" rims. I would imagine 245 or possibly 255 would be the max for 8" rims.

StealthCobra

Fuel Slut
Yeah I dont think you can run bigger than a 265 on an 8" rim. You definately dont want to run a 275 even if its possible. It would look horrible (massive buldge).
Get 255s, they look great on 8" :thumbup:

stang13

Actually 275/40 fit fine on an 8" rim. I ran them on my old black car and the bulge was minimal. I got complimented all the time for the way that they looked. Im not sure how they would perform on the autocross track as I never took the car out. As far as that is concerned my brother got 285/40 Nittos to fit on his stock bullitt wheels. Although Nittos dont run as wide, The bulge was minimal on those as well. I will try and find some pics of the black car with the 275's. Later.

Kory

^Sparco^

Drive your passion
Well, it's not as wide as this:

:D

V-SicksConv

Alot of GT's run 275/40/17s on stock 8" wide. You do lose some of your contact patch on either side b/c the tire bows up on the sides a little, but it's not bad. If you wanted to use them for track tires I see no problem with that. Best thing to do is trial and error. Get some tires, if they don't work the way you want, sell em and get new ones.
Wes

tedness

Mellow Yellow
wheels and tires are ready to be mounted in the morning.

will post pics and run on them for a bit and see if i can use them at sunday's autocross.

Bachmeier 281

Shiney and Whiney
It will work... my buddy has 315 nittos on the 17 x 9 factory 03 cobra wheels and they dont look to terribly bad...

vertstang232

Bachmeier 281 said:
It will work... my buddy has 315 nittos on the 17 x 9 factory 03 cobra wheels and they dont look to terribly bad...

but the thing is, nittos run narrow, so it isnt that bad

Bachmeier 281

Shiney and Whiney
Its not THAT big of a difference, they're at least 295 or wider... and i had 295 BFGS on a 9" rim before and they were fine. I've had more sets of wheels and tires then 80% of this board...

tedness

Mellow Yellow
i'm putting some bf goodridge tires on there. they had to keep them overnite because of it being a 'side request'.

tedness

Mellow Yellow
so the g-force kdws went on with a bit of effort because the tires were stiff as hell from prolonged sitting in my garage.

took a little over 2 hours to get all 4 wheels on and required about 140psi of air to do it per tire.

too rainiy today to try them on the road with their little tread, so i'll see tomorrow and post photos with the slightly bulging sidewall.