Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

3.31 gears vs 3.73 gears

Discussion in '2005-2010 V6 Mustang Tech' started by jek57, Nov 24, 2014.

1. jek57

jek57 New Member

Thinking about putting 3.73 gears in my 09 auto with 7.5 rear end .Don't want to go with the 4.10 s do alot of highway driving in the summer also don't race it or look to race. Will it be worth it to go with the 3.73s? and will i see a difference between the two .Not sure if it will be worth the cost . ....... bbk cai' bama tunes' s/d coil' taylor 8.2 wires gt take off muffler' koni struts .

2. maxwellmurder

maxwellmurder Member

I have 4.10 gears in my 2010 auto v6. I love them. I'm really glad I went with them instead of 3.73s. A lot of guys on here will tell you to go 4.10 on an auto and 3.73 with the manual trans. A lot of guys will tell you just to get a GT takeoff rear end, but since you aren't racing or anything I wouldn't recommend it.

3. jek57

jek57 New Member

How are the rpms on the highway?

4. maxwellmurder

maxwellmurder Member

2700 at 70 mph. It's really not that bad. And I still get 25 mpg

5. jek57

jek57 New Member

Thanks for the info.The 4.10 do sound nice but i think i'll stick with the 3.73s just because of the highway driving and they should give me a decent bottom end if i ever need it . Just in case a ricer pulls up next to me at a light .

6. BRN2RUN

BRN2RUN Active Member

Different year of sixer here, but considering that our stock gearing is pretty much the same (mine is 3.27, yours is 3.31), i'd say to do the 4.10's. My biggest regret after doing 3.73's was that, considering that the whole reason of going to a shorter gear is for performance reasons, that 3.73's just weren't enough. I didn't really notice the night and day difference that many speak of, but with the 4.10's, it's ridiculously fast in the acceleration, and really, the drivetrain is not that far from putting almost a quarter more torque to the ground. Highway RPM's are higher, but with 3.73's and any sort of aftermarket exhaust that is noticeably louder, you're going to have a fairly loud drone on the highway with the 3.73's, anyways. The 3.73's are a better overall compromise, but to put it this way, if I were to change gearing again, it wouldn't be back to 3.73's, it would be for the civility of the 3.27's on a daily driver.

MPG difference in city driving is negligable in both city and highway driving in my experience. In city driving, the logistics of it is that you're not really staying in any powerband for that long, and the other frame of mind is that it kicks into overdrive a bit faster, because the rate of acceleration is quicker.