Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

3.7 Home Theater / Computer / Electronics Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by nikko, Apr 18, 2008.

1. nikko

nikko Admin Emeritus Off Topic Moderator

We've been using the HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray thread for these sorts of purposes for awhile. However, since:

* HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray is no longer a relevant question
    * The original focus of that thread was pretty narrow, even though we used it for a lot of stuff
    * There's a "which TV should I buy" thread every second or third day
    * That thread is now way off track with discussions of ebay and video games :p

... I decided it would be good to have a dedicated home theater thread where these sorts of things could be discussed.

I'll start the discussion with a product announcement that I'm particularly excited about: The Onkyo TX-SR606.

[​IMG]

This is the second generation of product in Onkyo's HDMI 1.3 / Upconverting / Advanced audio codec line. It's essentially an upgraded TX-SR605, but has a few key features that make it much more attractive to me:

* Twice the HDMI inputs (4 vs 2)
    * "improved" analog source upconversion (will upconvert to either 1080i or 720p, TX-SR605 was 720p only)
    * More efficient amps that deliver the same power output with less input

MSRP is $499, but it can already be had on pre-order for $450, and if the 605 is any indication, this one should be down in the $300s within a month or two.

My biggest problem with the 605 was that it only had two HDMI inputs, which I felt was completely inadequate. This had me looking at the TX-SR705, which has one more, but includes a host of other features that push the price up quite a bit. I'm a cheapskate and can no longer afford to blow serious cash on things as frivolous as home theater, so the 606 is good news for people like me. :)

2. Wandler

Wandler @nwandler

I've often thought about making this thread, good call on doing so. Hopefully people use it...

3. The Sauce

The Sauce Mmm...Mmm....good

Damn, I just purchased the 605 recently, I feel cheated :(

4. idioteque

idioteque Pine away for your banner years.

Interesting announcement. It is cheaper than the 705 and has an extra hdmi port. If I didn't like my 705 so much, I might be disappointed about not waiting.

5. nikko

True, but that's just one aspect of the performance. The 705 has a number of other improvements which I still feel are worth the money for the right person.

6. Pinoy Boy

Pinoy Boy That Guy...

I saw that 606 while I was poking around before Nikko, decided I would rather buy the 606 than the 605. I still don't know what I'll use the extra HDMI ports for, but having one extra is obviously better just in case. I'm also a tightwad with money, so this fits the bill just right.

Good idea for a thread though, the other one is getting derailed :)o)

7. nikko

Yeah, I thought of you as soon as I saw it. Should be a good fit.

8. 99Camaro99

99Camaro99 The Doctor

I love my current setup but it sucks I'm financially strapped to it for a few more years (aka no changes/upgrades to it). Oh well...:p

This should be a fun thread...I'll find some neat piece of hardware and slap it up in here a little later. :D

9. Wandler

Wandler @nwandler

I should dump my set of Monitor 7s that I'm using in my garage and sell my Denon 2802 at the same time. It's really overkill for a garage setup. It's just hard to sell something like that, you have to find the right person. And selling speakers that big and heavy is a pain in the ass...

10. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Like I give a fuck

Thanks for starting this thread Nikko. I really need to start researching different Home Theater components because I don't want to have to re-buy something because I am not satisfied the first time around.

I am currently using an Altec Lansing 5.1 'computer' set up as my Home Theater system and it is just not cutting it anymore :eek:

11. Adamd

Adamd Sweet!

Nikko good idea about starting this thread!

Yeah when I made my HD-DVD vs Blu-ray it was way back last August lol and at that time the war was in full gear, however not anymore lol.

This one at least will be on topic since no one talks about HD-DVD anymore ;)

12. idioteque

idioteque Pine away for your banner years.

This is really more of game console stuff, but I have some extra cash so I decided to get a 60 gig triple from a legitimate source. It came out to around $550 with tax but the extra was worth the peace of mind.

I also killed my 360 last week. Emphasis on the me killing it part. I had it for a year and a half without problems but when I got my new receiver, I moved the directv box so it was only separated from the 360 by a piece of glass. After a few weeks like that, I had problems with the video and then the next week, it was dead. Only one light though, not the red ring. When I took it out, I noticed that the glass separating them was really hot. As far as I can tell the extra heat killed it. Live and learn, I suppose. On the plus side, I have an in-store warranty. I usually don't buy those, but I made an exception after hearing about the problems the 360 was having. I want to take it in now to get the hdmi port, but I am going to hold out for a month to see what happens with the new hard drive rumor.

Don't get me wrong. I love the 705. Properly brilliant, as they say on Top Gear. The only problem is that as soon as I decide to take my 360 in, I am going to fill that last hdmi port. I would have to get a switch if I need another port.

13. Pinoy Boy

Pinoy Boy That Guy...

Good looking out son! :thumbup:

This idea popped into my head today: When the x06 series come out won't the x05 series drop in price? I'm kinda wondering.... I mean if a 705 drops to roughly the price of a 605 today would I be better off getting a 705 over a 606 :uhh:

14. Gcrop

Gcrop Grit and Grind

How would I go about pulling the recorded shows (in this case basketball games) off of my DVR and onto a hard drive? I love my DVR but I feel like I can't record something for use down the road (like a VHS tape). I am sure there is hardware/software to do this, just not sure what I need. A TV tuner card or something.

Thanks. :)

15. Usefulidiot127

Usefulidiot127 Go Illini

It can be tough, first off I'd need to know exactly what kind of DVR. Model number and everything.

16. 99Camaro99

99Camaro99 The Doctor

and hope it doesn't have an encryption flag on it ;)

17. Gcrop

Gcrop Grit and Grind

Scientific Atlanta
    Explorer 8300HD

Also, these are in HD. I am sure that adds another level of issues to take into consideration.

Please explain Tony.

18. Hell_Razor

Hell_Razor Never surrender!!! Off Topic Moderator

I need an adapter to connect my Wii to a TV that only has a coax cable input (f'n hotel TV's), any suggestions?

19. Usefulidiot127

Usefulidiot127 Go Illini

Head over to radioshack and pick up an RF modulator.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...productId=2103095&support=support&tab=summary

something like that, could probably find something a little cheaper.

You won't find a simple adapter, since it actually has to convert the signal a bit.

20. Hell_Razor

Hell_Razor Never surrender!!! Off Topic Moderator