3.7 Home Theater / Computer / Electronics Thread

Gcrop

Grit and Grind
46" = too small

Master bedroom TV. When I get a new main/living room TV, the current main 52" TV will move into the master and the previously mentioned 46" will move to the office or spare bedroom.

46" is not for the main TV as I agree, too small.

Wandler

@nwandler
Damn, that's big for a bedroom. I don't like watching tv when I go to sleep but my wife does and our 32" is so bright, I don't think I could handle anything bigger than that.

Gcrop

Grit and Grind
Damn, that's big for a bedroom. I don't like watching tv when I go to sleep but my wife does and our 32" is so bright, I don't think I could handle anything bigger than that.
My girl has gotten used to me having the TV on when we go to sleep. I put it on sleep timer. I am actually doubting she will let anything bigger than a 46" into the bedroom :)coolface:).

anyone have any suggestions/recommendations for mounting an lcd tv outside..will be mounted to a concrete wall inside a screened patio

Gcrop

Grit and Grind
Where have you guys been buying TVs lately? Online or brick and mortar?

46" Panny.

Looking at prices, I am debating going down to 720p. With it not being a main TV, I am not sure that will be a problem. I know 42/46 is about the "line" where the 720/1080 argument can be made (seating distance being another variable).

nikko

Admin Emeritus
I have a 42" 720p and think it looks better than 95% of the "1080p" LCD crap in most of my friends' places. Quality > pixels when you're working with a budget.

Greg9034

Where have you guys been buying TVs lately? Online or brick and mortar?

46" Panny.

I ended up picking up my un55d7000 for $1730 shipped. I just picked up the phone and haggled prices with several authorized dealers. Never pay the "online price", their is always room for negotiation. I ended up going with pauls tv. They had really good reviews and gave me the best price.

Gcrop

Grit and Grind
I ended up picking up my un55d7000 for $1730 shipped. I just picked up the phone and haggled prices with several authorized dealers. Never pay the "online price", their is always room for negotiation. I ended up going with pauls tv. They had really good reviews and gave me the best price.

Was looking at some from Pauls TV. Thanks for the advice.

Greg9034

Pulled the trigger on the yamaha rx - v867.

Newegg.com - YAMAHA RX-V867 7.2-Channel Digital Network Home Theater Receiver

Also went with the budget Pioneer set-up, after spending soo much $ on the tv.

Tv just arrived today! This tv is phenomenal, leaps and bounds over my Mitsi dlp.

Pauls tv was also excellent in every way, had the tv on my doorstep within 7 days. This was amazing, after the nightmare experience I had with first ordering the tv from buydig. I guess its the same company as beach camera, but I have never had a problem with beach camera. I patiently waited 14 days for the tv, before I started calling buydig. I could never get ahold of them w/o first waiting 30 min on hold, and they would just blame the shipping company, shipping company kept blaming the hurricane. The customer service reps told me if i canceled my order that the shipping company would bill me $150-$200 for the shipping back to buydig. I demanded to speak with a manger, who was very unprofessional and finally canceled the order. I proceeded to tell him that if I was charged a penny from the shipping company, I would sue them. Don't buy from buydig.com, I finally got my full refund after 14 days of canceling the order..:thumbdown:

Amazon.com: Samsung UN55D7000 55-Inch 1080p 240Hz 3D LED HDTV (Silver): Electronics

Fronts
Newegg.com - Pioneer SP-FS51-LR Floorstanding Speakers Pair

Center
Newegg.com - Pioneer SP-C21 Center Channel Speaker Each

Rears
Newegg.com - Pioneer SP-BS21-LR Bookshelf Loudspeakers Pair

Not bad at all for $370 shipped..

This is will be my first real home theater set-up.. I'm still kinda a newb to all this..

I'm reading good reviews on the BIC subs.. Anyone had any experience..?

Specifically this one..

Amazon.com: BIC America F12 12-Inch 475-Watt Front Firing Powered Subwoofer: Electronics

Thoughts on this set-up..?

nikko

Admin Emeritus
Nice receiver, I've enjoyed my Yamaha quite a bit. Great price/performance.

I think you'll be underwhelmed by the speakers. Were it me I would have gotten a TV with far fewer acronyms/buzzwords and spent an extra $500 on proper sound. Guess it's a little late for that though.

Never heard of BIC, but that's pretty... inexpensive for such a big speaker. Take it from someone with a 12" Velodyne that I literally use as an end table - there will come a time in your life, possibly very soon, that you don't want gigantic speakers dominating your living room. Were it me I'd be looking at a higher quality 8" or 10" unit with tighter response and greater concealability.