Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

3.7 reliability

Discussion in '2011-2014 V6 Mustang Tech' started by OkieHick, Nov 14, 2011.

1. OkieHick

OkieHick New Member

Have there been any issues with the 2012 version engine? Apparently there were issues with cam followers in the earlier 2011 engines.

This is my first post in the forum. I purchased my 2012 on May 6 of this year. It just turned 10K miles. I have truly enjoyed the car and look for excuses to run an errand.

2. JpL4K3

JpL4K3 Moderator

They're pretty solid built cars. They haven't been out long enough to see if there are any long term issues that develop. I wouldn't worry.

3. frankp

frankp Member

Search google for "cam follower 3.7L V6.You will find that there are a couple of links on all ford mustangs about the 3.7L cam follower myth. This engine has no cam followers. I have a procharger equipped 3.7 with no ticking noises - Build Date Jan 2011. Only noises I hear are the GTs I leave in my dust!!!!:lol:

allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-v6-mustang-tech/258403-2011-3-7l-v6-mustang-engine-tick-problem-2.html

allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-v6-mustang-tech/268419-fyi-ford-tsbs-special-service-messages.html

Sorry, I'm not allowed to post URLs yet. Add the web stuff in the beginning.

4. frankp

frankp Member

5. JpL4K3

JpL4K3 Moderator

That car looks mean Frank.

6. frankp

frankp Member

I just talked with procharger about a 3.85 diameter pulley. I want to get 9.5 PSI. Its getting 8 PSI now. We are adjusting the tune for the automatic (First V6 done at Spankin Time Motorsports). The car loves high RPMs and goes like batsh!t. I am more interested in a light, fast, handling machine. Gonna do some interior mods, big brakes, lighter wheels and BFG tires. Then I'm done until the Hurst paddle shifter comes out.

398 RWHP on a conservative tune.

7. Garycs

Garycs New Member

Hey frankp, I saw that you have a 2011 V6 I assume they only come with the 3.7V6 305 HP motor. I rented one from Hertz last weekend and was very impressed. So much so, that I would like to find a wreaked Mustang at Coparts Insurance Auctions, and swap the motor into my Ranger off road 1450 race truck. It has the 4.0V6 now, and not enough power. So if I was to buy a severly wreaked Mustang, I could harvest the motor, trans, computors and wiring.

The only thing that is stopping right now, is that I do not have accurate measurements of the 3.7. Can you supply some numbers for me? If so, I need the width, from the extreme outside point on the exhaust manifolds. The lenght, from the front of the pulleys to the trans or bell housing, and the hieght, from the deepest point on the oil pan to the top of the motor.

You can email me at [email protected] or you can even give me a call at 623-205-6178. I'm in AZ.

Thanks, Garyy

8. Ltngdrvr

Ltngdrvr Active Member

ArtU, just like I posted on AFM, your issue sounds like a momentary oil starvation, back the car in instead of pulling it in so the oil covers the pickup tube better.

9. Bucko

Bucko Member

The tick problem with early 3.7 V6's has for the most part been identified to build dates of June 10th 2010 or earlier. There's a TSB that your dealer should be aware of (TSB 11-8-26). Your build date can be found on your window sticker (here's how to break that down):

Attached Files:

10. audioAl

audioAl Coyote Red

I just turned 10,150 miles on my 12 3.7 and it runs really well so far. The only mod I've done so far is K&N drop-in and Redline "Wetter Water" 1 1/2 bottles.

11. ponie1992

ponie1992 Member

Notice any difference with the filter change?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

12. Bucko

Bucko Member

You may want to research that K&N drop in filter. Another V6 Mustang forum posted a link to a test that was done by an independent shop. The shop tested and dyno'd several CAI, the stock air box setup, and the K&N drop in filter, suprisingly, the K&N drop in filter LOST HP and TQ over using the paper element! I was shocked, as I always used K&N products (their CAI systems) with great results. Their CAI system was rated good, but the drop in filter to a stock system looses you HP and TQ.

13. Schram1

Schram1 New Member

i had one problem with my car it was a 2011 i only had intake, gears, and a tune. The motor started to loose power while i was driving one day the motor quit working whole thing locked up. of course i take off the tune and intake before they towed it in. They said they never seen this happen they couldn't fix it took them 2 weeks to fix it they ended up giving me a 2012 motor. I have had no issues so far and i have headders and exhaust now,btw i only had 12000 miles on the car when this happened

14. audioAl

audioAl Coyote Red

I can hear the exhaust and the motor wind up better, I may try an AEM dry drop-in filter next. I read that a purolator paper filter is really good as well.