Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

3.7 to Coyote swap

Discussion in '2011-2014 V6 Mustang Tech' started by JpL4K3, Feb 17, 2013.

1. JpL4K3

JpL4K3 Moderator

2. Jsimmons

Jsimmons Member

Many thanks (took me more than two weeks to gather all that info, and another three days to make the web page). :)

It can most assuredly get pricey, but I think I have most (all?) of the affected systems listed, which I think is the most important thing. A lot of guys that have voiced interest in doing this haven't taken into account everything that's gotta change on the car. I'm certainly no expert on the S197s, and nobody's ever done this kind of swap, so I'm sure I missed some stuff.

3. JpL4K3

JpL4K3 Moderator

no worries, glad I was able to pass it along to someone that benefited from it! :)

4. mustangmike!

mustangmike! Active Member

haven't looked yet, but why would u be swapping a 3.7 to 5.0 ... why wouldn't you spend the extra thousands to have one ... from the get go ...

5. Xzavier247

Xzavier247 Active Member

^ This. the total is like a used 5.0 with some miles.
    But in reality it would be nice if you were a millionaire and do what you pleased.

6. JTsStang

JTsStang Boosted V6

To me spending 16-17k on a 12sec setup is (excuse the breverity) stupid. I could easilly build a turbo kit, and have a motor built for less than 7k. So lets just say 10k total for a solid fuel system, decent converter, and tuning. From what I've heard 500rwhp is not out of the question for a stock motor with a turbo. Available fuels today is leaps and bounds ahead of what people were running just 7 years ago, not to mention tuning software is very user friendlly.

I'd like to see someone develop a stroker crank for these engines and run it balls out with a big ass turbo. I think the new ford v6 could be capable of 8 sec power with the right combonation of parts.

7. Jsimmons

Jsimmons Member

My 2012 is going to be paid off by the end of this month. I have no desire to go into debt to get an un-modded GT that hasn't been put through the ringer by the previous owner(s). Further, I have $14k of mods already don't to my car. I'm not willing to give that up, or willing to go through the hassle of swapping the parts onto another car. Lastly, I'm not a member of the throw-away generation and don't (and can't afford to) get a new car simply because the wind changed direction.

If you read nothing else on the page, the last section sums it up.

8. Jsimmons

Jsimmons Member

500hp out of an otherwise stock V6 is stressing the motor too much IMHO, especially if you want to drive it every day, and yeah $9k was my estimate for a Procharger "done right" (with complete exhaust system), but that's 400-475HP (unless you're completely insane).

I heard someone *is* working on a stroker crank (and I think you can get forged rods now), and there's work being done in the area of porting the intake, but I haven't seen any dyno results on that work yet. MMR is also working on a sheet metal intake (like the one they make for the 5.0).

I'm not really after much more that 400hp, and I *might* be able to get there without forced injection, but even that is gonna cost some bucks. In the end, "Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?"

Quite frankly, I'd much rather put a pushrod motor in the car and call it a day, but smog laws got in the way.

9. whitev6

whitev6 New Member

The swap is cool but just like 20psiofevil said, Their new cars if you wanted a gt buy a gt. If you want a v6 and want power build it! If I had 20 grand to spend on my 4.0 I would have a built 4.3 stroker a good fuel system a soild suspension and boost to the moon and I could proabably see 500whp with me being conservative. The 3.7s are great engines hell most of us 6ers would do a engine swap to that!

10. JpL4K3

JpL4K3 Moderator

Give it time and people will be running 800 - 1,000hp on these v6 motors.

11. Codeman_V6Online

Codeman_V6Online New Member

Yeah they will. Look at they have been out for a couple years and they are already making 450 rwhp on a simple P1SC procharger kit. Thats pretty impressive. If I ever buy a new mustang I will be getting a 3.7. Nothing like making 500 rwhp and still make like the estimated high 20s MPG and blow peoples doors off with your v6. I also love the sound of the DOHC v6 sounds much better than my pushrod 3.8.

12. Jsimmons

Jsimmons Member

My original desire was a dual-quad pushrod V8 in a S197, but I wouldn't be able to drive it on the street due to Texas law regarding engine swaps (the motor has to be the same/newer year as the car it's going into).

I'm old school and am of the opinion that there's nothing like the sound of a heavily cammed computer-free pushrod V8 engine. Multiple carbs don't bother me (I've done cross rams, inlines, and 6-packs, and even a quad Weber setup once), and I like being able to buy headers that don't have O2 sensor holes in them..

Don't get me wrong, I really like my V6, I just prefer the old low-tech motors.

13. falconguy

falconguy Member

Gentlemen, you are behind times! A simple 6lb boost will get 450 hp out of the 3.7. The fastest time I've seen yet is mid 10 seconds in the 1/4. Just add a turbo to the 3.7 and surprise all the fat cats.

Echonan and JTsStang like this.