Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

3.73 gear question

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by Khaos05, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Khaos05

Khaos05 Yea....it's a sixer

ok...got a few questions about gears...is 3000 miles on a set of 3.73 a lot of wear and tear? How about for $65? lol...if no one says otherwise i'll probably get them friday or saturday...but i'll wait for t-loc and install both...btw...where can i get a good deal on a t-loc?

edit: and do i need the gear installation kit (like the one from stangmods.com)?

2. USMCGrunt0307

USMCGrunt0307 New Member

Depends on how the gears were treated when they were in use and if they were even broken in properly. I think 65 bucks is a steal though but its just up to how they were treated. If you can, get some pictures of the gears up for us to see. You should be able to tell if theyre any good with the condition that the teeth of the gears are in.

3. Khaos05

that was pretty much my idea...this guy bought them from someone who had them on for 3k miles and then never put them on himself so.....what about the installation kit (like stangmods.com)...is it necessary?

4. USMCGrunt0307

USMCGrunt0307 New Member

Unless you have experiance in messing with the rear end id say take it to a shop and have them install it. You can really **** your **** up in the rear if you dont know what your doing. What that means is no, you dont need it.

5. Khaos05

ok...well i know a guy who has a 1400 sq ft shop behind his house...and he is a good car person...he takes his tranny COMPLETELY apart twice a year and cleans it out...(he races a 57 chevy drag and does all the work himself)...he said he'll paint my side scoops and gt rear bumper when i get them too...(he has a nice paint room like the one on american hotrods lol)......i think i'll take it to him...free!

6. load

load New Member

Lucky!

7. 02v6

02v6 want to go fast

ok im confused about gears so if i get some new 3.73 gears they would only last for a certain amount of miles?

8. tedness

tedness Mellow Yellow

no they'll last as long as any factory gear, its just he was concerned about them since they were used and all

9. Khaos05

yep!

and yea...i was just concerned about them being used...:thumbup:

10. soon2bestangin

soon2bestangin New Member

They'll last the lifetime of your car, unless youre making more power than they can hold.

Used gears are funny thing, some people say their used gears whined at first. Which I can see due to the wear patterns from the prevous installation.

11. Brandon

Brandon Better Than Sliced Bread!

I have had experience with used gears and its far better to avoid any potential issues (they may not arise but if they do.....) just buy new gears/tlok unit or what ever and then you only have to worry about a good quality install (which is hard to find some places)

12. Khaos05

ok...i'm now thinking of going with a little more performance-wise purchase...i've had my car for about 7 months and it's only seen the interstate about 4 or 5 times...(about 300 miles) so would 4.10 gears be a bad idea? I'm also thinking of getting 42% udp instead of 25% but thats for another section..:D

13. soon2bestangin

I have 4.10s in my V6 and I drove it 300 miles back and forth between home and Virginia Tech many a times with no issues.

14. Khaos05

well..i just didn't want to be going 75mph at 4k rpms or anything crazy like that...:lol:

15. soon2bestangin

If I remember correctly, crusing at 72 left me around 2600.

16. Khaos05

thats not bad at all...what's up with the "don't go over 60"...wouldn't that defeat the purpose? I mean i don't want a quicker take off to not go over 60...:wtf:

17. Oppa

Oppa New Member

I just got mine in today. Doesn't make that big of a difference. i think my speedo was off bout 8 miles or so at 65

18. load

load New Member

That's because you need a tuner or new chip to tell your computer that your rearend gear ratio has changed :rolleyes:

19. USMCGrunt0307

USMCGrunt0307 New Member

Why didnt they just put a speed sensor on the front wheels instead of going off the transmission speed or however it calculates speed...then it would always be right..unless you changed rim size....damn it, I want a radar speed sensor then I would always be right regardless of what I do to the car, lol.

20. Oppa

Oppa New Member

I do have a tuner and corrected it but I was just sayin that to let him know the rpm difference isn't that big