Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

3.73 or 4.10?

Discussion in '2011-2014 V6 Mustang Tech' started by 14mustang v6, Jun 7, 2014.

1. 14mustang v6

14mustang v6 New Member

Ok so I have a 2014 v6 automatic. It is a daily driver and I do about 80% city and 20% hwy. Now this is all the performance things I have or want to put. Magnaflow comp exhaust, one piece ds, bbk shortly headers, airaid cai, bbk 73mm tb, accel coils, bama 93 hybrid tune, and some new park plugs that r +1 colder.. so now with all that being said I just don't know which gears would be best for me and I would really appreciate everyones opinion. I also will probably never see the track. And another thing what do u guys think my rwhp with all those mods be at? Thanks guys

2. Duggie

Duggie Duggie

I have a 14 V6 with a Airaic CAI , 73 mm BBK TB , Magna Flows Mufflers, Bama Tune & a bored out Spacer plate to match the TB. The Spacer Place I would do with out unless I had a stock TB. The short headers and the Accel Coils are a waste . I have a lot of what you are planning to do and I went to Brothers' a BBK owned store and they told me that the low end gain would cancel the high end gain and vice versa . We went over the setup of my car and they were very up front with me. Now if you went with the long tube headers went with the pipes deleted the Cats you would get a better gain but there goes your warranty.
    I have a 3.73 Ford Racing Gears Barton Shifter and Bracket. I don't plan I drag racing and wish I had went with 3.32 I think performance package goes with. . All the other mods I have done were on the suspension and that is were most on my money went. As far as your rwhp goes you may get approx. 275hp on a Dyno. Dyno is the only way to get the real numbers. The Bama Tune will help you with your shift points with your automatic.
    If you decide to do your suspension or lower your car I can give you want worked for me and didn't.

Attached Files:

• 025.JPG
      025.JPG
      File size:
      402.4 KB
      Views:
    • 023.JPG
      023.JPG
      File size:
      409 KB
      Views:
  3. 14mustang v6

14mustang v6 New Member

But I want more low end

4. Duggie

Duggie Duggie

Then go with the 3.73 any more then that for the driving you do you WON"T need it at all. If you were going to build a motor from the inside out and going for speed at the Drag Strip then I would go for the 4.10s . 3.73 does me very well when I took my car to the Drag Strip but launching was a problem spinning the wheels in first and second gear. The other parts I said that were a waste of time came from a BBK speed shop and others that know a lot more then me . Also people on a race team told me the same thing.
    I hope more people answer you post about the 4.10 and 3.73 , I'm only one person and in my opinion 3.73 is the highest I would go. In the 1/4 mile I just used 1 thru 4th gear and shift at approx. 6300 where the Dyno has my max torque. For the low end the CAI. Mufflers, Tune and gears are going to give you the biggest bang for the buck. Also the 4.10 are going to be really hard on the mpg , if you do a lot of hwy. driving bring credit card, you will really see the drop per tank .
    Just a note. You say your car is new. When you install the CAI and Mufflers that alone will put a smile on your face. It did for me . I did the Tune next and from what I read that is a must for those with a automatic to help with the shift points. The gears are the last thing I did. If I had it all over to do again I would do my CAI & Mufflers, Suspension second from bottom to top, Tuner, Shifter & Bracket then gears .
    I take it you thought real hard about the warranty issues and what you will be giving up .

getsidewayzdrift likes this.
  5. Markstang

Markstang Polishing my banhammer Staff Member

Why do you want colder plugs?
    I think with doing only 20% highway driving, you could get away with 4.10s. But I don't know how the '11+ respond to gears

6. 14mustang v6

14mustang v6 New Member

Plugs r Better gas mileage and better acceleration

7. 14mustang v6

14mustang v6 New Member

Ur crazy 275 rwhp? With all those mods... They put 255 stock

8. Markstang

who told you that?

9. 14mustang v6

14mustang v6 New Member

10. Markstang

Just because it says it on the box, does not make it true. I would not trust the declaration of higher economy and acceleration in that product description if I were you.

Duggie likes this.
  11. 14mustang v6

14mustang v6 New Member

I was thinking that too but it's sold on a Ford only site

12. Phil II

Phil II Cone Destroyer Staff Member

And? They're still trying to sell stuff for profit. You as the consumer have the responsibility of thinking things through for yourself.

The premise of most spark plug advertisements is that those plugs will be replacing worn ones. I expect if you call NGK tech support they'll tel you to use their stock heat range equivalent.

getsidewayzdrift and Duggie like this.
  13. Duggie

Duggie Duggie

Put your car on a dyno and that will give you the real numbers. You can't go what is written on a box or ad. Ask the guys that did put their cars on a dyno and if they print out their results you will see. You can't believe very thing you read in those adds. If you look at my build list and for the most part a followed a project car . Let me ask you this what kind of numbers are you trying to reach with the RWHP?
    I was at the BBK Shop and talking to the person that does the Tunes for the Shop in Central Fl. and he was telling me with the bolt on you are talking about the norm is at best 278 rwhp. Now that is coming from a pro. I had my car on the Dyno by one of the best in Charlotte N.C. Pro Dyno at the 50th Birthday Mustang Car Show. The best I could pull with all the mods was 275.14 and then I had to add 15 hp to that because of a fuel problem . Those numbers were better then most there.
    I'm interested in following your build with your mods and see what you get on a Dyno, that's the real test. Maybe my 14 V6 is just a dog, but it's a pretty quick little dog. I'm happy with it.
    Do the research on old posts and forums . Read lots of the reviews and the comments from the staff here for they are straight up. Also the post on Fact or Fiction with Bolt On. This may help you. By the way you didn't answer about the warranty issues if you by pass the cats and Tune, What's your understanding since you have a new car?

14. 14mustang v6

14mustang v6 New Member

I already have a tune , tb, cai, and magnaflow competition exhaust

15. 14mustang v6

14mustang v6 New Member

I'm doing gears next I might just go with 3.73

16. 14mustang v6

14mustang v6 New Member

I'm in love with my exhuast lol it was my fist mod. And I know the shorty headers will give me more low end which I want and give my exhaust a deeper note

17. Duggie

Duggie Duggie

Sorry I mistaken you , I thought you were looking for peoples opinions before you added all the mods to your car. I was looking for a little more low end for SCCA racing with the mods I had and asked about the short headers and BBK told me not to waste my money for the little it will do . For sound BBK makes a muffler that you can tune to your own liking. Each muffler has a bolt on it that you can turn until you get the sound you want. It has I believe 3 chambers , I think it is made by a BBK. Cheaper then headers with the install unless you are doing the install yourself. I checked into getting headers installed , it about a 5 -6 hour job at 70.00 a hour where I live.
    You may want to research long tube headers with a x pipe by passing the cats if you are looking for a deeper sound with more low torque. Just a thought.

18. 14mustang v6

14mustang v6 New Member

I heard long tubes give u more high end where I fell these stang don't need them

19. Phil II

Phil II Cone Destroyer Staff Member

You could call Burns Stainless and ask for a header design recommendation. They have a program that takes into account many factors and approximates a header design. Its used for many clients, from autocross to world challenge cars. It was featured in this past months SCCA Sportscar magazine. With that design recommendation in hand, you could either find the most similar off-the-shelf headers or have a custom set made.

20. Duggie

Duggie Duggie

Phil ll That's funny !!!!
    "Oversteer is when the rear hits the wall. Understeer is when the front hits the wall. Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall. Torque is how far you carry the wall."- somebody funny

ageless1 likes this.