1. Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

3.8 engine miss

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by gnatsum, Apr 7, 2003.

Social Buttons
  1. gnatsum

gnatsum New Member

Hey...I wasn't sure where this post fit, engine or electronic, so help if you can.

I've got a 98 mustang with the 3.8. It has started to miss intermittently. It acts like the spark is arcing somewhere, but it's not. I get no check engine light, so I've had to resort to guessing. I've replaced plugs, wires, fuel filter, air filter, both upstream 02 sensors, and reset the ECM. No change. It still misses for no apparent reason. Even the Ford dealership says they don't know what the problem is (surprise).

Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions?
  2. Erik913

Erik913 New Member

Injectors?
  3. DBNYBERG

DBNYBERG New Member

possibly air problem. Check seal on the new filter. Also look at tube for cracks. Do you have headers? I've had a spark go through the wire and arc onto the header before. Good luck!
  4. gnatsum

gnatsum New Member

I've looked for everything obvious. I checked the plug wires in the dark to check for arc. This problem is beyond me (and everyone else for that matter) Ford had no idea. I took it to another shop and ran it on their diagnostic. They said my car was fine, even though it spit and sputtered all the way there, and all the way home. What a crappy deal!
  5. SteveC

SteveC New Member

Could be an intermitten coil pack problem. What plugs and gap are you using also?
  6. gnatsum

gnatsum New Member

Got it figured out. After fixing a lot of needless things, and spending nearly $300, I decided to try a different type of plug. Ford recommends a double electrode spark plug, but Autozone was out when I first started having this problem, so I just used the regular plugs. Well, I broke down and bought the Bosch platinum +2's, and the change was instantanious. The acceleration picked back up, the idle smoothed out, and the miss is entirely gone :D . I got so excited that I decided to make some other improvements, so I added a cold air intake, and I pulled the upper intake and ported and polished it. Much more power in the 2500 and up rpm range. Me likes!

Anyway, thanks for the help!

P.S. What's the deal on those upper intake spacers? Do they effect the EGR valve? Where can I get one, and what do they cost?
  7. jimmyb1901

jimmyb1901 What?

You can get the spacers from Flex, just send him a PM and hell hook you up with some prices, and no they dont come in contact with the EGR valves. I just recently put on a set of 1/2" manifold and 3/8" TB spacers, and I will vouch for them, I went to the track last night and my trap speed was up almost two MPH with nitrous as opposed to without the spacers with nitrous. I was amazed. They were definitely a good buy that I would recommend to anyone!
  8. V6PowerHouse

V6PowerHouse A moddin' mofo

so the problem was bad plugs... and the repair shops couldnt figure it out?
  9. TORCH_RED

TORCH_RED LS2GTO.com

hey jimmyb1901, what was your e.t. at the track with all your mods and the nnnaaawwwsssss
  10. 95gashedbeauty

95gashedbeauty New Member

ya well people at shops are a-holes sometimes. they wont help you unless they get somithing good out of it. A spark plug change wouldnt earn them much for their time.
    I was gona say you had the timing off. I think thats whats wrong with my car. I'm gona try buying those plugs u say. 3.99 at shucks.
  11. 3.8LSTANGLOVER

3.8LSTANGLOVER snake driver

I still think the plugs that are the best are the ones that came in the care and those would be the motorcraft platinums.